When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - Rolex Explorer II - Noob Factory

b16a2

Its an ETA IHS. It originally came from Bk with the full package including the datewheel being reglued. Just needs a gen crown and it's good to go!

The movement is running very nicely. I unwrapped it, set the time and as soon as it was on my wrist the movement was already ticking without a hand wind.

Another excellent review and another potential watch for my wrist!

:D Do it, it is a great watch! If you want to 'try before you buy' shoot me a PM and Il pop into town with it if you like!

superb ! thanks a lot !

how would you rate the overall feel / quality

between WM2 and Noobfactory ?

cheers,

Frank

I was hoping no one would ask me this question :)

I find myself much more attracted to the Submariner purely from an aesthetical point of view.

In terms of quality and build quality they are very close. The WM9's clasp is much better, and the SEL's feel more secure to the case and Im not sure if it's because I prefer the Sub, but the WM9 does have an air of genuiness about it (I would put this down more to psychology than build quality though). Apart from that, if I were to rate the WM9 at 10/10 as a benchmark, the Noob Explorer would come in at 9/10.

The Noob is amazing, but the WM9 is just about perfect.

Yeah, excellent review... excellent replication, excellent watch.

One error in your description of gen though... you said that GMT hand is "settable". It's not independently settable on a Rolex, it's the hour hand that moves in one hour increments in 3185. The CHS version works like the gen (without possibilty to swap the date backwards + it has a quickset date). The rep is actually nicer in that regard. When you have many watches, lack of quickset date is annoying.

ExpII can't be directly compared to Submariner or GMT Master II in "feel". Despite only 1mm difference in the diameter it feels slightly smaller and lighter watch. The greatness of ExpII is elsewhere... it's overall "classy" Rolex, imho... a nice compromise between the dress line (DD,DJ) and sports line (Sub, SD, GMT).

@Freddy: Many people feel the same way... they only love the white. If I had to choose just one, I'd go for the white as well... but since the black one is such a nice rep it's a must have too. :) For me this particular era of Rolex (90's and early 2000's) is the most appealing. The models still had some of the "original mystique" left... difficult to describe... but none of the new offerings (including GMT IIc do nothing for me).

PS: One very important detail on the Noobfactory is ExpII is the crown vertical position. It's exact on the CHS version, and 95% exact on the WHS version. I just compare my gen and rep side-by-side and it's almost impossible to tell any difference.

Great review again b16a2, your blooming Rolex love is becoming so obvious at this point :D

I will add that although you mentioned it; the design of the SELS are not different but in your picture you are comparing a Lug holes version (gen) to your Non lug hole version. The design is correct to gen for non lug hole cases.

Did you see what I was talking about with regard to the outer bezel edge which is polished? :)

Excellent review as always James :clap:

For me the only annoying thing in this superb replication is the IHS.

Although it is more reliable and hardly noticable,for me it is such a turn off.

I guess i am hanging on to much in this place

with you guys and i am infected with the perfectly moded watch virus!!! ;)

I was lucky(or unlucky depending on the reliability of the movement,although it keeps great time after all these years)

to recently get an older noob version with the CHS which can get the gen dial.

Today i sent it over to Domenico for a movement swap along with

a clarks crystal to fit this model...i think it is going to be a blast!!!

I will post pics after this project is finished.

The only thing that i will have to change in the near future will be the

dial with a gen one and it is done.

Thanks again James for your effort and time to make this review :victory:

John

@ By-tor thanks for clarifying that. I agree with your comments too, it is a much more classy watch in comparison to the other two in my collection!

@ Ammandel - yes the polished rim on the bezel looks great, it's something I never noticed until you pointed it out! A subtle, but nice touch to add an air of presence to the watch!

@ JMarin - I reall ylook forward to seeing the finshed product :) And thank you once again for letting me use that picture!

@ Stephane - Thanks :) It is a shame as the non engraved ones are harder to get hold of now, but they do crop up now and again. I'l keep my eyes peeled for one for you!

Thanks a lot J. for your time.

It's great to see you post a review ;)

I think your analyse is very good and I'm a bit annoyed I sold my Noob one as I sold my genuine one too.

I might go for one again !!!

Cheers

Stephane

The EXP II is one of the most beautiful watches i have ever seen.I got 3 versions (2 reps(CHS ANS IHS and 1 Gen with the white dial) and i am

really mesmerized by the overall looks of those watches.A definite keeper for me and a must have for every Rolex fan out there.

• 7 months later...

WOW......I'd really like one of these :Jumpy: I live in Ft.Worth TX unfortunately DFW is my customs port of entry for ANYTHING from China and in the last 12 months I've had two pieces seized. Anyone have a source? I've tried Sead with no luck so far.....maybe an intermediary?

Can you help abrother out :drinks:

http://www.perfect-hour.com/rlex01001-explorer-series-updated-white-swiss-2836-p-5883.html Gott'a dig the white dial :bounce:

Edited by seroberts

Go through BK - excellent service and QC, no customs worries!

WOW......I'd really like one of these :Jumpy: I live in Ft.Worth TX unfortunately DFW is my customs port of entry for ANYTHING from China and in the last 12 months I've had two pieces seized. Anyone have a source? I've tried Sead with no luck so far.....maybe an intermediary?

Can you help abrother out :drinks:

http://www.perfect-hour.com/rlex01001-explorer-series-updated-white-swiss-2836-p-5883.html Gott'a dig the white dial :bounce:

I doubt you can get this rep without the engraving anymore. It's a shame as the engraving is a serious downgrade (it doesn't look accurate).

The non-engraved versions pop up in the member trade section every now and then. They usually go really fast so I suggest to grab one very quickly. Here's mine with gen crown & custom SELs... stunning rep indeed.

7.jpg

good to see this review, good to see the exp2 both gen and rep getting attention. The gen exp2 was my first gen rollie. The rep is a lot of fun to mod. I put gen crystal and gen crown and wm9 datewheel overlay on mine. First a few pics of the CG trim and gen crown. I'll do some shot of the current state with gen crystal and wm9 dw overlay installed

IMG_3722.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

-bk