When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tell the truth or tell lies

Packard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on what they say. And to tell you the truth, people rarely comment on the watch I'm wearing, rep or real. I did see a young sales kid in West Marine wearing a blue dialed SFSO this weekend. I said, "Hey. I like your watch, have you been down 6000 ft yet?" He just smiled and said, "I doubt I'll ever get that deep!" Who knows if it was a rep, it looked good, and I liked the dial. But it is kinda rude to ask someone if their watch is a fake, or real. tacky, tacky.

You could always just say thanks and leave it at that. My friends know I do collect watches, but other than my watch friends, the rest could care less, so I typically don't say anything. And if I'm concerned about being called out, I'll wear a gen, or at least a very good franken.

If you're worried, just tell them your rep is a beater, you didn't want to tear up a good watch. That's when I wear my reps most of the time anyway.

I just say thank you! And if they ask about the brand, I'll tell them it's a rep. If the first question is "how much was that watch?!" I just smile since it's a semi-rude question to begin with. If they persist, I say it's "normally" a $5/6K watch but this one is a replica. And then I point out the good features of the rep I'm wearing.

I was just curious how others handled this. I had a Rolex replica years ago (I had to stop wearing it because the gold plating wore off--a piece of junk), and people would ask about it. Rolex was less common in the 1980s than it is now.

With my family I quickly mentioned it was a replica as I didn't want them to think I was squandering my vast fortune on trinkets.

With strangers I would say, "I prefer not to discuss my financial indescretions" when they got too curious about the watch.

I was just curious how others handled this. I had a Rolex replica years ago (I had to stop wearing it because the gold plating wore off--a piece of junk), and people would ask about it. Rolex was less common in the 1980s than it is now.

With my family I quickly mentioned it was a replica as I didn't want them to think I was squandering my vast fortune on trinkets.

With strangers I would say, "I prefer not to discuss my financial indescretions" when they got too curious about the watch.

:good:

*adds that to list of phrases to use in future* :D

"I prefer not to discuss my financial indiscretions."

That is a good one. Kind of hints at the fact that you might have spent too much money on a gen, or did you get ripped off buying a fake! It should stop the obnoxious questioner at that point, hopefully.

Guest HaloArchive

Person: Is your watch real?

Me: Are your shoes real?

Person: (Does the o.O face)

Me: Walks away

BTW, I remmeber seeing that by someone in a different thread a long while back on this subject matter.

Cheers~

H

"I prefer not to discuss my financial indiscretions."

That is a good one. Kind of hints at the fact that you might have spent too much money on a gen, or did you get ripped off buying a fake! It should stop the obnoxious questioner at that point, hopefully.

Great one! :tu:

Person: Is your watch real?

Me: Are your shoes real?

Person: (Does the o.O face)

Me: Walks away

BTW, I remmeber seeing that by someone in a different thread a long while back on this subject matter.

Cheers~

H

The better version of that one was:

Woman: Is your watch real?

Me: Are your boobs real?

The better version of that one was:

Woman: Is your watch real?

Me: Are your boobs real?

*Slap*

Corrected ;) lol

Although I like it - it gets the point across that it's rude to ask such things, while potentially getting lucky through sheer cheekiness :lol:

Edited by Member X

I have only been asked one time and it was by one of my good friends that also likes watches, so I handed him my BCE and asked what he thought. He said wow aren't this like 5k and I said for a genuine maybe but not for this one and he started laughing.

That was the only time and if I ever get asked I will probably go about it the same route see what they think and suprised them when I say it is not genuine.

A co-worker came to work wearing a Rolex. I said, "Andrew, I see you got a raise."

To which he quickly replied, "No it is a fake."

In this instance I did not ask the price or if it were real or not, but he quickly got defensive and said it was a fake.

I think, just like the Tae Kwon Do practitioners do, it is wise to rehearse your moves beforehand so as to position yourself as well as possible.

Andrew could have said, "I'm a keen negotiator."

My reaction would be: Did he negotiate a raise? or Did he negotiate a great price on the Rolex? Ambiguity is often your friend.

Only (new) friends will generally ask about a watch & I always say 'rep'. This of course causes uncontrollable giggles from my long-time friends since they know I am usually wearing either a gen-powered franken or a gen. ;)

I do not know why (since, in my quarter century of collecting watches, I have only ever had 1 stranger - a waiter - ask about my watch), but this has to be 1 of the most frequently asked questions by newbies. Some people must travel in very suspicious circles. :unsure:

Only (new) friends will generally ask about a watch & I always say 'rep'. This of course causes uncontrollable giggles from my long-time friends since they know I am usually wearing either a gen-powered franken or a gen. ;)

I do not know why (since, in my quarter century of collecting watches, I have only ever had 1 stranger - a waiter - ask about my watch), but this has to be 1 of the most frequently asked questions by newbies. Some people must travel in very suspicious circles. :unsure:

I don't know, I just wonder if people might think that they're going to get called out as soon as they strap on the watch, as if it comes with a self-levitating neon sign which constantly hovers above them saying "Fake watch!" I think once people get that first decent rep, and realize that they don't illicit suspicious questions, rather compliments, they begin to relax about it all :)

It is true that alot more people look at watches (& decide whether they think the watch is real or not) than will ever say anything. So, while it is very rare, in my experience, for a stranger to comment - good or bad - about my watch, I am aware that most people are thinking about it (sizing me up against my watch - do I look like I could afford the watch I appear to be wearing).

Guest HaloArchive

What kills me is seeing that upper teen/early 20's kid wearing a rolex or a breit and they act all poesur about it as if it is real. Maybe in Beverly Hills.