When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate Planet Ocean upgrades

Pugwash

Inspired by Ubiquitous, I decided that it was time to get my broken Ultimate Planet Ocean replica out of the drawer and fix it up. As with almost all the UPOs, the thread on the tube gave way after two years, and, in spite of its K2222 ARed sapphire, it was looking old, tired and basically retired as the crown would no longer screw in.

Then, Ubiquitous sold me a 42mm 4th gen and then accidentally received another and decided to mod it. His list of things to do was reawakening the old modder in me and I decided that I'd get my UPO fixed up as practice. A browse of Cousins UK's website showed me that a gen crown and tube were cheap, and that they even stocked Omega hands. Gen hands means no relume and they're not that expensive, really.

That was Saturday. Today, Tuesday, the stuff arrives from Cousins, three hands, a crown and a tube. I'd already broken the watch down into case, bracelet and movement/dial and it was time.

upo-tube01.jpg

All set up, ready to go.

upo-tube02.jpg

Removing the tube with pliers just shredded it. It does not unscrew. Messy.

upo-tube03.jpg

Unlike the gen tube, the rep tube is pressure-fitted. Needed a rat-tail file to get it out.

upo-tube04.jpg

Clean sheet of paper and gen parts.

upo-tube05.jpg

Clean the insides of chanked rep tube shards with Joe.

upo-tube06.jpg

... and Rodico. I heard that some cases need drilling out for tubes, but I suspect that's when the crappy rep tube leaves the sleeve in the case.

upo-tube07.jpg

Gen tube is threaded, rep tube is not. Time for some glue as the gen tube isn't tight.

upo-tube08.jpg

Glue on the tube threads and pressure fit it. Use your favourite metal glue.

upo-tube09.jpg

Tube in, glue drying, time to change hands. I am not good at fitting hands.

upo-tube10.jpg

No hands.

upo-tube11.jpg

New hands. This was attempt 2. Attempt 1 failed once I put it all back together.

upo-tube12.jpg

Remove the stem the Pugwash way.

upo-tube13.jpg

Recase the works.

upo-tube14.jpg

Fit the stem and screw it in if your glue is dry. I forgot to photograph fitting the crown to the stem. It involved pliers and glue.

upo-tube15.jpg

Which hands are genuine?

upo-tube16.jpg

Ready to wear.

Next up, I have an ETA2892 or two on their way.

Very nice project Pug. I modded my Ultimate UPO with gen parts and contemplating whether or not to do the same with my 42. So many projects, so little funds :(

Enjoy the watch Pug and wear it well.

Very nice, Pug. You use the exact same storage cases with configurable dividers as I do. Do they have Walmarts across the pond too?! ;)

Lidl. :)

Ohh, I like the sound of that. So unPug-like too!

Well, they were very cheap. They may arrive in not-so-good nick, so I'll have to learn how to fix 'em.

The modding bug can go dormant, but it will never go away entirely ;)

What's next?

Gen dial?

Nah, I think finishing my 1680, or copying you on the 42mm PO.

UPO is such a solid rep. A real rep classic.

With some additional mods it's just amazing.

Enjoy that beauty!

Oh you know I will. I've been needing a big hunk of metal-braceleted watch on my wrist for a few months.

Today will be the test. If it doesn't fall apart today, it's set.

Today will be the test. If it doesn't fall apart today, it's set.

... and so far today, it's performing exactly as it should. The hands haven't fallen off and the crown screws and unscrews just like it should. It's amazing the feel a genuine crown/tube has; the rep feels looser in comparison. I presume it's the rubber seal that's tighter.

I hate fitting hands. :)

A Bergeon hand tool make it easier. Try the set #7404. I just finished my 42 PO with a gen dial, hands, and a work over on the pearl.

The pearl isn't gen but close. I'll post some pics when I get back to my office.

Jim

A Bergeon hand tool make it easier. Try the set #7404. I just finished my 42 PO with a gen dial, hands, and a work over on the pearl.

The pearl isn't gen but close. I'll post some pics when I get back to my office.

First mod I did on my PO, as you can tell above, was the AR crystal. My brother has a gen 45mm Punkin PO, and the AR always looked so much better than any rep, so until I had AR, I knew it'd always look like a rep at a distance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i'm looking to do a similar mod to the crown and tube on my UPO so thanks for the above part number info..

i would also like a replacement bezel insert/pearl and a gen crystal, however im struggling a bit; cousins seem to have all the parts i need but they require a case number for searching?.. any idea what the case number is for a gen PO?

also will a gen crystal/bezel insert fit or will either require some "persuading"?!

i would also like a replacement bezel insert/pearl and a gen crystal, however im struggling a bit; cousins seem to have all the parts i need but they require a case number for searching?.. any idea what the case number is for a gen PO?

Case: 168.1650

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=5991

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The genuine bezel needs heavy modding for it to properly fit on the rep case.. and I remember reading somewhere about the lug holes being different form the genuine.. so it may be problematic for the gen bracelet..

but have you taken into consideration with the gen. bezel + all the other gen. parts you are coming very close to a used genuine PO ??? that's why I went with the dial crown/tube and crystal ans stopped there.. and on my pumpkin it has chiefs AR which is better than the gen.

AC

Lani