When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PC vs MAC

vikkyrob

It's simple:

PC = Virus/Ad-ware/Spyware = constant headaches

Mac = No Virus (as Pug pointed out - yet)/Spyware/etc....

Yes, the Mac will crash. It's like any computer. But, for out of the box value, there is no comparison. The bundled software with a Mac is fantastic and very user friendly. If you are a super PC guru, then yes, you can tweak, and mod and hot rod the PC to be awesome, but you will always have to deal with virus and spyware software running in the background. You will always have to deal with back-door issues from programs like MSN Messenger, ICQ and Yahoo Messenger that are riddled with all sorts of Spyware issues. And let's not even delve into the issue of Vista. Yes W7 is looking promising, but can Microsoft really deliver?

Bottom line: PC's can be had for cheaper, but, in the long run, are the added headaches worth it? Isn't this why we are talking about this in the first place? The OP is having problems with their PC because of Virus/Spyware issues.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a windows 7 machine when they appear in the next few months, Macs are way, WAY overpriced for what you get hardware wise.....

A new laptop PC for the same cost as the MAC will have more memory, same or faster CPU, larger hard drive , better GFX card (more vid memory), HDMI connection, blu ray drive, finger print log on and more.......

Seriously, figure out Vista and how to tweak it to get the best out of it, a computer only runs as well as it's user will let it ;)

Cheers! B)

Not so overpriced! I bought an air 2 weeks ago for $650 on CL and there were 3 more for less then $7Beans. Just need to know where to look !

I use all "3" -- Win, Mac, Linux.

Personally, I prefer a Mac with VMWare Fusion or Boot Camp so that in the event you need "Windows" you can have both OS's, or more, on one machine. You can virtualize any OS on Mac Hardware, but you can't Virtualize Mac OS X on a PC.

Your 4yr old Laptop should still run a 'fresh' WinXP install, and Linix with ease.

Oh how times have changed. I've been a mac user since the mid 80s and have never used a PC in my life. I always promoted macs and was always criticized for it. A thread like this would have been a flamefest a half decade ago. In some ways its nice to see that Macs are more accepted, although I really miss that "exclusive" feeling that I had way back then.

We don't sell that many Mac's in terms of our total computer sales ratio, our customers generally see them as over priced too, that is straight from the guys n' gals in the street, I speak to lots of peeps on a daily basis :)

I still say Mac's are more expensive for what you get, in terms of hard drive, memory, CPU, optical drive and GFX etc...... Based on the simple facts regarding the pricing in our retail high street shop and the general public's reaction since we started selling them last year. Sure they have better battery life, and look damn cool, but that is not a justifiable reason for the price disparity.....

Plus selling clearance Mac's off display is a nightmare, there is no margin on the Mac hardware, so no discount to play with. The fact that the average Mac buyer doesn't like the idea of buying display models doesn't help either, they are definitely more anal about things like that, even if the Mac is spotless and 100% erased and re-installed :p

Cheers! B)

Switched to a macbook pro 2 years ago at home (IT manager of a windows network - 20 years of experience with microsoft)

If you have not used both you can't comment. I look forward to going home to use my mac. It's not overpriced if you compare it to proper competition from HP/Lenovo etc. You can't compare it to a $400 laptop that will break if you open the lid too fast. My macbook will probably last another 2 years at least.

OSX takes some time to get used to, and it's not perfect but it keeps getting faster (unlike windows).

Whatever you do, don't put microsoft office / symantec anything on it.

At work, I have one of the most powerful Macs you've ever seen (lots of Xeons, 9GB RAM, 2x24" HD displays ...) and I can run copies of my servers in virtual environments on my Mac simultaneously without a slow-down.

I'm Jealous! I only have a 24" iMac 2.8ghz & 4gb of RAM! I guess it's time to upgrade!

I should have mentioned that.

There are programs specific to my work that are not available for Mac. If I could live in the Mac environment, I'd never spend another dime with Bill Gates.

Bill

Ha! I re-wrote our full database at work from Access to MySql and PHP to live in the Mac environment full time!

I am becoming too much of a Mac Evangelist!

+1 for the Mac here.

For one thing, I do not have to worry (for the most part) about malware, viruses, and the like- my Mac just ignores them. Sure, there are some dangers... but not nearly as much hassle.

And alternatives to Billy Gates... OpenOffice, NeoOffice come to mind. Both are very good.

One thing you might try- get a Mac, use it for your primary machine, then wipe your laptop and install Ubuntu. It's free, comes with neat stuff like Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, and it installs quickly and seamlessly on almost anything!

I am running a fully activated OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, full RTM version, for free! ;)

A small motherboard BIOS modification, with an OEM key and certificate embedded into the OS via a command or two, and you are good to go! I am not fond of M$ either, but then, who is? :p

I use a "free" version of M$ office too :lol:

I still say Mac's are more expensive for what you get, in terms of hard drive, memory, CPU, optical drive and GFX etc...... Based on the simple facts regarding the pricing in our retail high street shop and the general public's reaction since we started selling them last year. Sure they have better battery life, and look damn cool, but that is not a justifiable reason for the price disparity.....

The same could be said about a Rolex. :g:

Mac's are also somewhat of a "fashion statement" not unlike a high end watch.

Also, dollar for dollar when you factor in the iLife suite of applications (not like the "Lite" crap versions of software many PC's come with) the total value is there. Heck, the laptops have a unibody all aluminum construction now.

I am running a fully activated OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, full RTM version, for free! ;)

A small motherboard BIOS modification, with an OEM key and certificate embedded into the OS via a command or two, and you are good to go! I am not fond of M$ either, but then, who is? :p

I use a "free" version of M$ office too :lol:

I use all three but I've recently been using Win7 RTM Ultimate x64 and Office "Mondo" 2010 Technical Preview.... the combination is stunning...though I'm still a redhat / Ubuntu fan at heart ;)

Its interesting how the argument a few years back was "Windows is better". Now the argument is "Windows is cheaper".

No-one believed them last time out. Linux is cheaper, but no-one's really migrating[1] to that, so maybe they'll drop that one and start saying "it's better for you" or similar.

:D

[1] Linux on the Desktop will never be a success until they can ship a Linux without a console/terminal application.

Having a PC just means you have to know how to take care of them. Just like how to take care of a watch.

PC = Swiss ETA

Mac = Quartz

I'm using a computer I built in 03 running a 6 year old install of Windows 2000. No problems here.

Of course, on the other side of that coin, I gave my mom a computer and within 3 weeks it would no longer turn on. LOL.

Actually there are quite a number of people building Hackintosh's which is basically a 10" MSI Wind Netbook with an Intel Atom processor and they hack an install of the macintosh OS. A friend of mine did it and it is just awesome. For $400 you have yourself a nice little portable with built in wifi and bluetooth. It comes with an onboard web cam and the speakers aren't that bad sounding either! Its a great little beater laptop!