When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PC vs MAC

vikkyrob

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This debate is so over, so what do you think Omni would rebuild in December for his mundane typical office desktop "business" CPU? Reuse the obligatory "ying-yang" windowed Ling Li server case. Add new intel board, quad-core Intel 2.67 ghz, 3 gig DDR3 ram, Radeon X8000 graphics hooked up to 38 inch TV / monitor, couple of new drives. All this for simple crunching numbers, reading email and word processing. Complete overkill but it gets lots of attention during business appointments. All this upgrade for $800. Much fun customizing.

Omniputer.jpg

PC's are for the close minded who prefer things to be overly complicated and like to make themselves feel "smart" by figuring out in-depth Windows operating problems. The rest of us actually are smart and simply prefer not to have any problems. ;)

Those kind of B.S sentences always makes me laugh. What do you know about open mind, and how is that related to the computer you are using?

So no, you are not smart cause you own an Apple.

It's just like i said "Girlies love Apple cause Mac are sexy, more expensive (important in some people minds), and donkey's friendly"

Oh wait..

Those kind of B.S sentences always makes me laugh. What do you know about open mind, and how is that related to the computer you are using?

So no, you are not smart cause you own an Apple.

It's just like i said "Girlies love Apple cause Mac are sexy, more expensive (important in some people minds), and donkey's friendly"

Oh wait..

lol_wut.jpg

Whatever you're smoking, it appears you got your money's worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob -

The computer does come with a pretty good suite of software. The only real thing you'd need to buy for "home" use might be Apple's version of office, called iWork. It has 3 programs, a Word Processor called Pages, Spreadsheet Program called Numbers (Excel), and Presentation Program called Keynote (PowerPoint). And unlike Micro$oft you can buy it for about $100.

As for the Airport, that is my understanding. I haven't used an airport for that purpose, but from what I've read - you are correct - remote access to the storage drive is possible.

-David

Or just download the excellent and free NeoOffice. It's MS Office compatible, and open source.

By Airport, I think you mean Time Capsule. This is the Apple box that you back up to automagically. You *can* access these over t'internet, but not by default: see http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/14/access-your-time-capsule-over-the-internet/

Myself, I've been a professional IT person for aroudn 10 years, mainly supporting PC stuff. I now run a 17" Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard at home, and occasionally boot it into Windows 7 for games.

Any specific questions, PM or ask away!

Or just download the excellent and free NeoOffice. It's MS Office compatible, and open source.

Excellent is not a word I'd use to describe it. Words like "Acceptable at a pinch" or "Java bloat" come to mind. :)

By Airport, I think you mean Time Capsule. This is the Apple box that you back up to automagically. You *can* access these over t'internet, but not by default: see http://theappleblog.com/2009/05/14/access-your-time-capsule-over-the-internet/

I use an Airport with a hard drive in the back. Does what he described as he described it. This isn't exclusive to Time Capsules.

Excellent is not a word I'd use to describe it. Words like "Acceptable at a pinch" or "Java bloat" come to mind. :)

Agree, never understood the clamour for open source freebie 'office' software. MS Office is not perfect but ironically works better than the PC variant. This is business software more often than not, so you or your company needs to pay. If you want an alternative, I can heartily recommend Apple's own (and IMO superior to MS Office) iWork package - Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. To be honest, I only have significant experience with Keynote mostly, but if the others match up to their competitors Word and Excel, then you'll have no complaints.

I use an Airport with a hard drive in the back. Does what he described as he described it. This isn't exclusive to Time Capsules.

Actually Pug, tsk tsk...you actually are using an Airport Extreme (base station) - that's the name of the current hardware (Express is outmoded now), whereas "Airport" is just the brand name that Apple developed for their wireless technology ;)

I'm recently converted to my 1st Mac, a 24 inch Imac. It's a beautiful machine and I'm loving it.

Now I'm not saying it is absolute perfection, but on the whole it's been a very pleasant experience. At this stage, it's only been four months I can't see my self going back to a Windows machine. I'll need to buy a second computer in the next 12 months and it is definitely going to be a Mac of some sort.

I'd say the main thing is to expect a bit of frustration while you get used to different was of working and learn your way around the OS. Get it when you don't have urgent stuff to do and it's not too painful.

To be honest, I only have significant experience with Keynote mostly, but if the others match up to their competitors Word and Excel, then you'll have no complaints.

Pages and Numbers are 95% as good as Word and Excel. Luckily for me, they cover the 15% of the features I use of Word and Excel.

Actually Pug, tsk tsk...you actually are using an Airport Extreme (base station) - that's the name of the current hardware (Express is outmoded now), whereas "Airport" is just the brand name that Apple developed for their wireless technology ;)

I use an Extreme and an Express. My Extreme runs on 802.11n only and the Express runs on 802.11g and b. This stops my iPhone slowing down the high-speed wireless LAN every time I turn it on. :)

But yes, I should have clarified.

You may also consider visiting the Hackintosh website. Here, they explain how to run os x perfectly on windows hardware. Now that Apple is Intel, a few lines of code, and you can have a Mac Pro at a Dell price. I have been running this exact machine for over a year, without hiccup. If you are serious about a Mac but don't have the dosh, you can build a cheapie, and have your Mac as well!!

iceclimber

You may also consider visiting the Hackintosh website. Here, they explain how to run os x perfectly on windows hardware. Now that Apple is Intel, a few lines of code, and you can have a Mac Pro at a Dell price. I have been running this exact machine for over a year, without hiccup. If you are serious about a Mac but don't have the dosh, you can build a cheapie, and have your Mac as well!!

iceclimber

and you will get the same bad look that dell has and same crappy keyboard.

just my keyboard on my macbook pro is amazing and worth some extra $$$$..

had my macbook pro for 2-3weeks and i em blown away by the quality,feel and OS X.

and guess what i hated mac's 6-7months ago, have things change when you try it for longer then 5mins..

iceclimber

Thanks for that, I may have to try it out :tu:

Can I triple boot (and triple partition) a Solid State Drive with Linux, Windows and OSX?

Edit: Will this work on an Intel i7, triple channel 12gb memory, nVidia 295 1.8gb graphics card?? Or on an old AMD Athlon 64 processor ?

Edited by Chronus

Intel only. You will have to research about the i7 processor. I am sure there is some brilliant hacker out there that has figured out a way to make it work! ;)

Pug?

• 2 weeks later...

This is a completely misleading thread as all of pc vs mac threads are. The problem is there is no difference with the main hardware components in a mac and a pc. The difference is the software. MACs have a linux based style operating system, this is run by a slim and trim "kernel" of processes that are the guts of your running computer. Windows in most peoples cases is a very bloated kernel that essentially runs processes for every imaginable combination of programs, hardware and devices microsoft thinks the average user would ever want. This initially kills the performance. If you truly want a properly running PC you have to do a custom install to uncheck all the software and junk you dont use in the initial install. HDD format only fixes the extra crap youve put on since last time youve formatted. Key is to review all your software, drivers, and device programs thoroughly before you just hit next.... next... next.... Be sure you don't leave things installed unnecessarily and if you have only 1 hdd on your computer, partition it to a system drive and a media drive [where you keep all your music, movies documents and crap like that] and alot the system partition 20% of the hdd space for your main everyday programs. Sometimes depending on the user this may need to be larger. Overall this thread should be relabeled Windows vs OSX/Jaguar/all the other completely different operating systems apple inherently comes out with like every year as a mandatory expensive update if you want the latest and greatest apple flashy flash. IMHO PCs and MACs are not so different, but overall PCs have a tremendous amount more value. If you like the trend, go with MAC ;)

For me MAC only... I try to get all my team-members, family members hooked and sold on mac... not only does it look good, the specs are great, the performance if awesome.. they are abit, more expensive but you get alot for in return and no (or not so much) headache esp if compared to windows...

I used to be on windows forrever, but when i switched over to mac... it was MAC only all the way... initially I liked the design, but when actually using it... BOEM I was blown away... the apps are way better, and usually also better Qualty... windows in my experience and in most ppl that i know experience have been crashing randomly... and needs formatting every 6-12 months... some even every 3 months... my dad used to run on windows I was the one keep fixing it up for him, which drove me INSANE... INSANE, every small problem was...like CHRISS... so we bought him an Imac, and he has never wished to go back again..

It is not only about price but also about experience you have... they are well designed, like for instance the trackpad on the macbook, amazingly well thought off... when I switch over to an windows based laptop...i get frustrated why I cannot scroll with 2 fingers :p

Try mac for 2-3 months and tell me you don't love it, by the way you need to find ahem, some sites that can give you access to MAC-software ahem for ahem free... try the programs it's awesome...

For games, it might kinda suck but I gave that up a long time ago... I did had problems with APPLE macbooks initially, like stuff that happens with newly released items, but I still love it :)

And expensive, look at Sony for instance, sony laptops windows based is what I call expensive for the money... Apple I still find pretty reasonable for what you get...altho it is an investment...

Edited by EuroTimez

Oh and BTW, if you do your research, youll find that Windows vista with IE8 is the most secure online combination out there. Macs latest release was hacked in a matter of minutes... just food for thought.

Horse puckey.

You need to understand the difference between real-life in the wild attacks and theoretical weaknesses which have yet to be exploited in the wild.

I don't care what platform you run, use ANY browser rather than IE (any version). You WILL be safer. Period.