When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question about which shoes and socks are appropriate?

fool2

Good thing this section was added! :)

So, lets say I was going to wear a Tommy Bahama shirt and some pleated front linen shorts with a nice fedora. Should I be wearing dress shoes and socks with this or regular white cotton socks and sneakers? I am expanding my wardrobe this summer and was not sure of the proper way to wear nice pleated front shorts.

This is how I have dressed for many years. I have a large collection of Tommy Bahama. I always say no socks with shorts, but with pants wear socks.

I prefer a pair of semi casual loafers like Sandro Moscoloni, Ferragamo, David Eden or some Mezlan. Exotic skins like ostrich and eel go well with Tommy shirts. You get a nice texture to go with the print. Remeber to use baby powder when wearing shoes without socks. This will absorb the stink. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you want to be a bit more casual I prefer slides to sandals. The straps on the back are annoying and not very stylish IMO. Tommy Bahama makes some nice slides but they aren't very comfortable. If you want comfort go with some Rockport slides. The most comfortable I own and not very expensive. If you want to be a bit more trendy try a pair of Mark Nason. Very nice, uniques designs.

I think you have been watching too many Carry on films.

Ha ha.

Well to be more correct you should wear walker socks and a nice pair of dress shoes, thats how the English would do it....not that I would mind you. ^_^

Maybe but the English don't like change, how they dressed then would still be considered correct.

By that token then, it must be hard for you lot to match footwear to those fetching numbered black and white striped pyjamas, never mind socks that aren't chafed by the old ball-and-ankle chain matching accessory :whistling:

Thanks for all the replies, and the baby powder tip. I was hesitant to try wearing nice shoes without socks because I didn't want them to get smelly. What do you guys think of these?

CTT-001M-2.jpg

or do they look too funky? I am undecided on if I like them or not.

Dunno Doc does Berg sound like the kind of name that was exported from England ;)

But then the Aussie twist on this fashion look is tank top (singlet), footy shorts, sweat stained akubra and thongs (flip flops) accessorised with the ever present esky. :D

Ken

Dunno Doc does Berg sound like the kind of name that was exported from England ;)

But then the Aussie twist on this fashion look is tank top (singlet), footy shorts, sweat stained akubra and thongs (flip flops) accessorised with the ever present esky. :D

Ken

"Exported" what a nice euphemism, you make it sound like cricket :bleh:

I wasn't suggesting you personally have convict ancestors but just making a point about certain stereotypes that you yourself were making about "the English". As you sort of acknowledged, it'll be a cold day in hell when an Australian can lecture a Brit on fashion and clothing. However, I frequently cringe walking down the street at some of the 'crimes' being committed, especially during the warmer summer months - obviously depends on the demographic, but in general, I must admit our European neighbours dress better than we do.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are actually going to leave the house looking like a sex tourist in Costa Rica circa 1995, I'd say you might as well wear sandals with white tube socks pulled all the way up or those wicker shoes. If you lose the fedora, pleats, and TB shirt (see ubi's micheal kors metal button knit in the other thread) then you should wear loafers or drivers w/ no socks.

Edited by archibald

Okay, finally piping in on this thread. I live in an American tropical isle atmosphere, on an outer island (Maui) where things are looser than in a cosmopolitan city like Honolulu, if you can call that cosmopolitan (Bankers wear "small print" aloha shirts "tucked in" to the office). Even though its perennial summer here, its also a mix of resort wear and country wear on the outer islands (I wear a lot of cowboy boots which isn't viewed strange since we have a lot of upcountry paniolo history). Here shorts when worn with shoes, which is not typical since flip-flops are more the norm, no socks or short socks peeking out of the shoe opening is acceptable; jeans/pants, worn with shoes without socks..........either is acceptable. That may be just an observation from a less than usual worldly view from my very isolated perspective.

If you are in Bermuda, long socks and shoes with shorts are very acceptable.