When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

i need help with picking up jeans

arminvanbuuren

If I read between the lines of your original post you are looking for more than just a new pair of jeans. Sounds like you're in a transition from no interest in fashion at all to finding your own new style.

The best advice I can give is to get help from your sister, best lady friend or anyone with good taste to find an overall style. Which could be ranging from a hip trendy style, a laidback baggy urban style or perhaps a more conservative preppy look. Most important is to find a style that fits your personality, lifestyle and age. After you know your new style go out shopping and take someone with you for feedback and help.

Always fit your clothes. If you're not into the baggy style shirts need to be a good fit. Always check if a smaller size fits better. Get help if you're not sure. Jeans need a tight fit, since they will wear out and adapt to your body shape. I wouldn't advice buying from the internet unless you can send it back and get a full refund.

Find out which colors fit your skin tone and eye/hair color best. Not every color will suit you. Be carefull with stripes and busy patterns. Some will enhance your bodyshape, some will make it worse.

Also have accessoiries (shoes, belt, watch strap, bracelets, necklaces) match colors and style.

Note that just a designer brand name doesn't say anything. Hearing Burberry makes me think of trench coates - not jeans as I wouldn't buy a watch from Boss or Armani either.....I know this sounds somewhat black and white, but you'll get the point.

Good luck and above all have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really Diesel? Really True Religion?

The classic jeans that has been adopted by other brands is the 501 from Levi Strauss & Co. Through the years the 501 has had some minor "facelifts" but overall the 501 has been the most adopted fit.

Why is it that popular? Well probably because a 501 can be worn with every kind of shirt and with any type of shoes. So it's suitable for either dressing up with a nice button down shirt or just really casual with just a polo.

btw I own about 50 pairs of jeans from different brands (Levi's, Ralph Lauren, El Charro, Nudie, Evisu, APC) and while most of them are 501 or based on the 501 some are a bit looser (for instance 508 for walking around in the hot streets of Jakarta) or tighter for a slim fit.

I would follow Scoobs advice and ask some lady friend to go shopping with you to find the clothes that fit your new bodytype.

Loads of good advice here. However, as a fashion fanatic and hearing what Armin said I would suggest thinking about getting a classic cut of jean first - fashions come and fashion go, a classic striaght-leg fit will always be accepted. Personally, I have always found the traditional US companies make the best balance of high-quality denim/fit/value; Wrangler, Levi's and even Lee (I have a pair of $20 Lee jeans which fit me better and are far nicer than $500 Dior jeans which I have owned).

I always like 501's, although button fly's do take a while to break in.

If you want something 'trendier' CP company are nice, although a little pricey ($300ish). Soft, brilliantly styled and uniquely coloured, although don't expect them to last more than a year with any use (see what I said about US jeans?).

If you are talking about looking smart though, jeans are only part of what you should be looking at. If you want to be a 'proper chap' there are certain items which you need in your wardrobe, and this includes trousers! Tailor-made is best if you can afford it, there are websites which offer tailor-made suits, shirts and even jeans - just google it. Consider materials such as houndstooth, prince of wales check, high quality cottons and maybe muslin if you live somewhere hot or want something cool for the summer. And Khakis are a must along with the jeans.

You will also need to get some decent, well fitting shirts too - English makes such as Thomas Pink, Jermyn Shirts, the Savile Row Company and so on will last you a long long time but make sure you measure your collar. Nothing like an overlarge collar and poor fit on a shirt to look awful. I like tab collars myself, but then I like wearing ties. Of course, next you will need some jackets - I like a nice boater, but any blazer really, a nice Harris Tweed is always acceptable for bad weather if you can afford it... jumpers - Scottish Arans are timeless, comfy and very warm but you will also need plain cashmere or pure wool ones, a smart cardigan, especially if you can find one with suede panels on, turtlenecks are nice too...

Then there are the accessories - its no use you dressed up to the nines and then pulling out a nylon and velcro wallet is it, Sir?! So you will need to budget about $200 for a nice wallet. I particularly like prada wallets myself, but any kid leather one will do.

And then there are shoes... don't even get me started here! If you look at your wardobe and only see trainers.... then you are a very bad man! Not that trainers are bad per-se (I love trainers) - I like to wear a boxfresh pair with a suit sometimes - but every man needs a fine pair of brogues or chelsea boots. Loafers are a must too and I always like to have a desert boot. Remember you will need black and brown pairs too depending on whether you are wearing jeans or smart stuff.

Then on to coats - a nice crombie or raincoat is a must. Aquascutum/Burberry do some lovely lightweight raincoats for about $700.

Dont forget belts, cufflinks and a nice pen too (Montblanc, Cross)... oh, and don't forget the watch of course!

Try searching google for 'essential men's wardrobe' I am sure you will find plenty about it.

I absolutely guarantee to you that if you start taking care over what you wear and look like you will feel so much more confident in yourself. Women will also look at your differently. Finally, you will also become addicted to buying classy gear too! Mmm.... shoes...

Good luck!

Robsa

Please do not buy Armani Jeans!!!! Stick to someone who makes a quality jean (11-13oz), and go with a selvege cut denim. Do not buy a jean that has wiskers, or is acid washed or has any type of fading!!!!

ewww :S - lol

In any case, buy Raw denim, nothing pre washed (check teh pockets inside).. if they are still white/offwhite you are good.. if they are blueish stay away.

Top of the price range about (200-500$, although at that high end, you are paying for the name)...

Look at:

- Nudie

- True religion (only a few that aren't ugly)

- Rag + bone

- A.P.C

- Citizens

- Earnest Sewn (if you are in NYC, get your custom made - they are amazing)

Low end (75-200$)

- Earnest Sewn (if you are in NYC, get your custom made - they are amazing)

- Dr. Denim

- Rag + bone

- A.P.C

- Citizens

- no joke here, but GAP (1969 - original selvege).. Its like 80$ for a heavy, selvege cut jean... good quality and hella low price

• 3 weeks later...

ah new to the site and saw this post and thought i give my opinion..

I wear and like levis 505 jeans. they fit nice not to snug and not to loose. also got a pair of Ben Sherman that are low cut so kinda snug in the groin area. Since you been working out and i would guess your legs are muscular. I fond that any low cut, dare i say skinny jeans dont fit me to well and way to tight in the groin butt area do to being muscular now im not a big guy but Im not in the normal range..best of luck to you

great advice in this tread

-Grim

• 1 month later...

I just ventured into the "quality denim" world a few months ago, and completely understand the dilemma on trying to pick out a good pair of jeans. There's a ton of good advice here. Do not buy a brand just because you have heard of it - instead, take note of the lists of real jean companies listed here. I have to disagree, though, with the dismissal of 7 for all mankind, as I think they're a super comfortable and attractive starting point that, although more expensive than the gap or express, will not completely destroy your bank account.

Oh, and I love my Nudie dry denim...can't wait to see how they turn out!

What about GAS JEANS?

I always loved the brand, in the first place because of their MotoGP presence. (I have many of their GAS Honda clothes).

So I thought that Gas is one of the best names in JEANS business, then last year I went to London and found that there aren't any GAS JEANS shop (maybe only one) in that City.

How come?

Gas Jeans isn't that high quality brand I always thought?

It is all about how they fit YOU.

The brand is irrelevant to me.

Daily wear is still levis's for the most part or Wrangler's.

The fashion jean (dress) with boots, should just be about fit.(IMO)

I wear AG's (Hero) because the fit nicely at the waste, low not too tight, with a

really nice flare at the cuff. Wear them long so they drag a bit at the boot heel.

I too, consider having the more expensive jean hemmed to fit you personally.

In the end it is still all about the fit, not the brand name. I mean if your spending

175.00 to 250.00 for denim, they better fit.

If you're gonna get jeans, please do yourself a favor and buy selvage denim. The fake aged washes simply look terrible. Get Levis LVC, etc... in Raw, Dry denim. Then do the whole 6 months waiting to get the patina just right. Nothing beats real vintage selvage denim!!!

• 1 month later...

All I can suggest is find a popular celebrity on tv etc. that you like the style of, that you think will suit you. And by that I don't mean find a celeb you wished you could look like :D...

Google some pictures of them, and then have a look on www.asos.com for the same styles and shapes of clothes. I'm 23, so take my advice over the rest of the old fogeys in here hahaha!

Also if you go in to some clothes stores they have stylists who can go over what they think will suit you, they'll let you try clothes on whilst you have a beer or two and they discuss different styles. The same goes with hairdressers, especially Toni & Guy will have a look at you in your new clothes to find a hairstyle that will suit you. Or you could do it the other way round, ie. find a new hairstyle and choose clothes based around that.

Also look at bands you like and see what they all wear if you like any of their styles.

And finally, the kind of girls you want in your bed.... what type of guys do they like and usually go for? Dress like them. :D

As far as brands go, what is in fashion changes all the time and we are kind of at the end of the denim bubble so just go with whatever brand you like really. I have seen genuine Collezione Armani jeans for $500 a pair and those looked hideous like cheap run of the mill levi (and there are levi that look good too, you don't have to have designer label jeans to be in style). A lady at off 5th told me that usually Asians are buying designer jeans...but she happened to be Asian so I don't know if she really knew what she was talking about, might only notice those types when they come in their store. Anyone with money buys them, although I do know millionaires that only seem to wear levis as well.

As much as I wouldn't like to say so since I own some, I think Seven for All Mankind is probably out of style and R&R and true religion probably are going out as well. Brands run their course and people get bored with them and move on to something else. You'll have to have good cash flow to keep up with it all. Also funny thing is jeans can last well over 10 years so if you drop $200+ in a pair just to throw out after a year, that is a very bad investment in clothing. I have been hearing of some Japanese brands being in style but it is difficult to tell. Might want to look around and see what people are wearing at a ritzy shopping mall such as in San Francisco or even better bet would be Scottsdale and Tempe, AZ which oddly has a lot more fancy shops than anywhere else I've ever been.

Also if you ever purchase even one pair of authentic jeans, you'll stop buying rep ones..just be warned... the main reason is because a good rep is few and far between and authentic brands make a large wider range of products to choose from. plus I have been finding that the ink in replica jeans quite often will blot out very easily with water.

• 1 month later...

If you're gonna get jeans, please do yourself a favor and buy selvage denim. The fake aged washes simply look terrible. Get Levis LVC, etc... in Raw, Dry denim. Then do the whole 6 months waiting to get the patina just right. Nothing beats real vintage selvage denim!!!

Patina? I was not aware of jeans being able to do that . I thought raw denim just honeycombed and whiskered. If you want raw stick with Japanese brands such as samuri or flathead.

• 4 months later...

All these 'fashionistas' and not one mention of G-Star? For shame fellas... BJJ and Muaythai, you need to dress sporty-scheik. Classy with a sporty edge. Diesel were hands-down the coolest jeans ever, and then like all good things they came to an end. G-Star has usurped the throne of men's casual style.

I feel your pain brother, I used to be a hefty unit. Still hefty, but now 240 pounds of muscly goodness ;o)

Do what I do, dark charcoal G-Stars, fitted shirt, tailored jacket, as a fellow Aussie, get to know Saba, Arthur Galan, Aquila, and look up where their Factory Outlets and sale items are. Sign up online and you can get really good savings. There is no excuse for not knowing, buy a GQ magazine, read askmen.com fashion articles and find your own style, believe me, it'll come very quickly once you absorb yourself in it. And it doesn't need to be expensive, anyone spending 500 bucks on jeans has screws loose... ;op sorry fellas, tough love, you deserve it :oD

i ve had good luck with Buffalo jeans ( they look a little like diesels) I also have a few guess jeans which are not bad either. I got most of my jeans at burlington coat factory.

I think any stores carry a decent selection of jeans nowdays, You can try express, and maybe even H&M . if they fit good just buy them. No one will ask u what brand they are unless some one really likes them on you .

• 4 weeks later...

APC is still the standard imo. New cures and new standards look/fade very well on just about anybody and you can pick up a pair for ~100 already worn for 6 months and unwashed. Just remember to size down 2-3 and NEVER MACHINE WASH. If they get horribly manky just cold soak with some woolite dark and hang to dry and you should be fine.

Nudies are also an option and they're in the same price range.