When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Disassemble a bezel from a WM9 Sub

Cats

A friend a mine bought a WM9 SUB , i think it was a version 2 , from PT last year ( think it was around December )

His wife is wearing the SUB and damaged the insert so he needed a new one. I told that he should contact PT and buy a new insert and that i was able to put it in. PT shipped an "new" insert and i removed the old one via the pearl hole.

The insert was glued into the bezel with double sided sticky tape. And it didn't sit flush.

The new insert won't snap in so i started sanding it down. I've sanded it down quit a bit but still it's not flush and it will not snap in so i need to glue it in or to "tape" it in.

When i glue it in i prefer to have the bezel of because of the possibility of leaking glue which will glue the bezel down also.

On my vintage sub i remove the bezel with a old credit card. But this bezel bends a lot but won't come of easy.

Any suggestion on how to get the bezel of without bending or breaking it.

This is the bezel i'm talking about.

IMG_1104.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Slide a long, flat blade between the bezel and case and give it a slight lift while working your way around the case; make sure you are coming into contact with JUST the bezel ring and not the retaining ring; the bezel should pop off fairly easily.

It's the same overall design as the vintage, except this one has serrated teeth and the click; as such, make sure you don't loose the click spring, as it will likely just slip right out without the bezel holding it in tension.

IMG_0601.jpg

On a WM9v2 I thought all inserts are perfect fit so don't require glue? You're supposed to remove the bezel ring I think?

only GEN inserts snap in ;)

cheers,

Frank

Thanks guys for all the good advise.

I managed to get the bezel of using a small kitchen knife and i didn't loose the spring.

The insert snaps and i sanded it down. The problem that i'm having now is that the inner side of the insert is touching the crystal retaining ring.

( insert pops out when i reassemble the bezel )

I will try to bend the insert in a more conical shape ( slide it over a good bottle off wine which i will drink afterwards ) . If that doesn't work i will ask my friend to get back to PT and ask for a insert with the right shape. I can remember that the initial insert stuck out quit a bit.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks guys for all the good advise.

I managed to get the bezel of using a small kitchen knife and i didn't loose the spring.

The insert snaps and i sanded it down. The problem that i'm having now is that the inner side of the insert is touching the crystal retaining ring.

( insert pops out when i reassemble the bezel )

I will try to bend the insert in a more conical shape ( slide it over a good bottle off wine which i will drink afterwards ) . If that doesn't work i will ask my friend to get back to PT and ask for a insert with the right shape. I can remember that the initial insert stuck out quit a bit.

Carpe Diem

Cats

looks like the retaining ring sits not deep / well enough or its an Euromariner - they all had this problem ... :animal_rooster:

PT never sold any WM9 subs as far as i know.Its probably a chinese made and thats why your having a hard time.

wrong ;)

PT-Supreme, WM9, Euromariner = all the same middle case at least - all parts are interchangeable btw these 3 and gen parts fit if you want to go crazy :D = i had all 3 of them.

cheers,

Frank

@Star69 i think your are right. The retaining ring touches the insert.

So i will try to bend the insert into a more conical shape and then glue or tape ( doouble sided photo tape )it in.

If that doesn't work i think we have to call in the experts.

@baglc 1 i think your mistaken PT sold the version 2 if i remember it well. This watch was bought Oktober, November last year.

Carpe Diem

Cats

You are right sconehead the retaining ring is the trouble maker.

I'll let my firend decide either i glue it in with the possibility that the bezel will not turn anymore or i send it out to one of the modders for whom it's a easy fix.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Couldn't agree more...

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_3073.jpg

IMG_2052a.jpg

The gen bezel just looks and feels perfect. The insert and pearl are a nice bonus as well ^_^

Ubi.

Do still own that beauty. If you ever want to part with that one. please, please, let me know I am sure that WM9 is coming with a new version where the crown tube is going to be perfectly center. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 1 month later...

TWB's have the same problem. You need to take off the bezel assy and then remove the retaining ring. Sand/file 1mm off the retaining ring and re-assemble and the insert will sit fine... ;)

becareful going this route as it exposes the crystal gasket with the 1mm being shaved from the retaining ring and moisture will 100% appear in your watch from just washing your hands, also moderate pressure WILL pop your crystal off... i speak from experience.

TWB's have the same problem. You need to take off the bezel assy and then remove the retaining ring. Sand/file 1mm off the retaining ring and re-assemble and the insert will sit fine... ;)

becareful going this route as it exposes the crystal gasket with the 1mm being shaved from the retaining ring and moisture will 100% appear in your watch from just washing your hands, also moderate pressure WILL pop your crystal off... i speak from experience.

I agree with highoe on this. I did the same on my Euromariner and the crystal popped on the pressure test. Haven't had water problems yet, but it ain't a swimmer.