When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Tudor 7924 project, Here's one you don't see every day...

eddog

So after my offical introduction/forum outing yesterday, I figured I'd better make my first posted topic an interesting one...

so her she is, my Tudor big crown 7924 project,

a continuing work in progress.

IMG_2435.jpg

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

IMG_2448.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

Working on a 390 and an aged gilt dial and hand set which should be ready soon....

so stay tuned to this bat channel.... 8)

Special thanks goes to the Zigmeister for helping me out with this one, your work speaks for itself!!

cheers

Eddog

Great 'ed'. I'll be eagerly following this.

With the advent of 'Stephane' 's raffle lately, and the fondness for the line by many of the RWG heavyweights, Tudor is gaining popularity here on the boards. There is a lot of info that will soon be filtering out. Known as the staple of the French N.M., it is not largely known, but revealed in your piece, the USN also has a history here. I despise the allusion to 'entry level Rolex'. Certainly a connection there, but the line can stand on it's own. If ETA or Valjoux means 'entry level', well, I just don't know what to say about any watch (95% of Autos on Earth) engined by one or the other.

Perhaps if enough 'buzz' get's going we will see the dealers offer more than the Hydronauts. You'd think it would be a no brainer considering the replica Rolex stock of parts and ETA's floating around? These could be the 'super reps' of the next years (but I'd wait for V4 7924 if I knew a thing or two about 'replica', which I do ;) )

Do you think you will go the full monty with the V 722 caliber?

I'm sure you are up to speed, but for anyone reading this and interested in an 'overview', I've had this link in my cache for ages;

Tudor

Great 'ed'. I'll be eagerly following this.....

.....Do you think you will go the full monty with the V 722 caliber?......

Tudor

Demsey.....Is there any other way?.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

IMG_2491.jpg

BTW it's commonly thought the FEF 390 was based on a valjoux movement, as it states in that article, but it's actually based off of the fleurier (fef) 380, which is a manual winder... so in fact, the 390 was really a one off tudor movement never used by any other manufacturer.. I'd say that qualifies it as fairly rare, No?

thanks for the kind comments!

Ed

Edited by eddog

BTW it's commonly thought the FEF 390 was based on a valjoux movement, as it states in that article, but it's actually based off of the fleurier (fef) 380, which is a manual winder... so in fact, the 390 was really a one off tudor movement never used by any other manufacturer.. I'd say that qualifies it as fairly rare, No?

thanks for the kind comments!

Ed

That's pretty cool, Ed. I like your answer to the 390 movement, I had a hard time figuring out how a 390 could be derived from a Valjoux 722- that's a chronograph, manual wind derived from the V72!

It looks to me like the crown is a 7mm- maybe the early 24-700 crown. Can't recall if the 5510 from about the same time had the 7mm crown or the Brevet, I know the 5508 had a 6mm crown and was only rated to 100m/330ft. Since the 7924 was rated to 200m/660ft, maybe Rolex was putting the first 7mm crowns on them. It's going to be a very nice watch, look forward to seeing the final product.

That's pretty cool, Ed. I like your answer to the 390 movement, I had a hard time figuring out how a 390 could be derived from a Valjoux 722- that's a chronograph, manual wind derived from the V72!

It looks to me like the crown is a 7mm- maybe the early 24-700 crown. Can't recall if the 5510 from about the same time had the 7mm crown or the Brevet, I know the 5508 had a 6mm crown and was only rated to 100m/330ft. Since the 7924 was rated to 200m/660ft, maybe Rolex was putting the first 7mm crowns on them. It's going to be a very nice watch, look forward to seeing the final product.

Hi Alligoat,

Yes the crown is a 700 twin lock... the 8mm tube would never fit in this case, it's too thin.

Infact the case is closer in spec to the 7922, which is the tudor equivalent of the 6536, but as the case is stamped 7924, i couldn't bear to put a 6mm crown on it, so instead i comprimised and fit an extra 700 twinlock i had lying around...

Oh, and BTW...in case the thinking may be going in the other direction for what ever reason, as it seems to be doing here and there...this 7924 is a rep....

Cheers

Ed

• Like 1

Oh, and BTW...in case the thinking may be going in the other direction for what ever reason, as it seems to be doing here and there...this 7924 is a rep....

Cheers

Ed

I would think of this watch as a high quality franken. Aren't the case and movement authentic? Don't know about the dial, but altogether it looks like the kind of quality that would make it a very nice franken- put together from gen and rep parts.

I would think of this watch as a high quality franken. Aren't the case and movement authentic? Don't know about the dial, but altogether it looks like the kind of quality that would make it a very nice franken- put together from gen and rep parts.

Well the movement is definitely genuine.... and so is the insert actually....

so i guess franken sounds good....

:whistling:

Cheers

Ed

Edited by eddog