When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Get rid of attachments.

I think we seriously should get rid of the site's attachments function on all posts, for good. Not only would it free up a little more space on whatever servers the site uses, but it would also make those same pics actually "viewable".

Too often--way too often--I wind up clicking on pics that have been attached to people's posts only to find their size too small to view or too big to view, at all. And there's no way to tell what size they're at, until you've already clicked to expand. I have a 24" screen and even with my monitor set on the high end of the resolution spectrum, on a lot of these attachments it's still impossible to get the whole pic on the screen--essentially, it makes the pic worthless, as a lot of them are impossible to properly view.

Either members don't have the software to properly resize them, don't know how to use it, or simply don't bother to. Either way, it would serve both the poster and the viewer well to 86 the attachment feature, and simply provide a list of free, online picture hosting sites.

For instance:

Photobucket.com is the one I use.

imageshack.us is another good free one

imagevenue.com is also free--and all of the above will allow you to either upload one pic at a time, or to bulk upload multiples.

At the very least, if the admin doesn't wish to disable that feature, then it might be beneficial to cap the maximum displayed output on the attachment function, to say 1024 x 786 or 800 x 600, so that any pic posted will automatically default to a size that makes it possible for them to actually be seen.

I know some might grumble about having this feature disabled and being "forced" to use a third-party site, but in retrospect it would make a lot of threads more valuable to their intended audience.

Nothing ruins a review or pictorial thread more than when the pics that actually make the thread aren't viewable.

Guest HaloArchive

+1 I use imageshack. You can bulk upload AND it will resize the image for you at your request. I think this sit should get the imageshack plug-in for attachments.

Whilst I don't disagree with the theory, personally I am too lazy, and maybe not tech savvy enough, to go through the whole image hosting offsite process!

Maybe just lazy is the truth!

If I can't post it from "my pics" it won't be posted!

just another view point.

Offshore

Then we need an on-forum way of reducing the images to a usable size.