When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch do YOU wear to a job interview

ChipSlap

I will go to Los Angeles tomorrow for a job interview. Interviews are one of those times when even the most self-assured among us might give some thought to how we appear. Since I'm always thinking about watches, one of my first thoughts was "Which watch will I wear?" That has to depend on the job. This job is in a lab making slides of biopsied human tissue for pathologists to review and diagnose. The interview will include a test of my microtome and tissue-mounting technique, and I was told to dress casually because of this.

I decided to go with the Seiko SKX009:

post-9746-125201921102_thumb.jpg

I chose this one because it's not a rep, and I wouldn't want to be called out on one in this situation. It looks good, but doesn't shout. And, it's high water resistance (200m) makes it amenable to having chemicals and biologicals washed off of it in case of a spill. I also tend to like bezeled watches in the lab to help me track incubations and other timed events.

What watches would you wear, or have you worn to job interviews?

I'm with you guys. I tend to go for more subdued watches for these types of instances. When I go to important business meetings I tend to do the same as I don't want to polorize any feelings based on the watch I'm wearing. On the other hand, if I'm the one giving the interview or the person making the decision during a business meeting I don't tend to mind or put much thought to.

I'm a freelance producer/director and graphic designer, so the closest I get to interviews is meeting new clients for the first time. This is anything from a coffee shop in jeans to a board meeting in a suit (tailored or last season's designer stock on sale), I only have a handful of reps but I pretty much always pick my SS Carrera Day Date (Black) and thats because I dont want to be flashing a Rolex around when we start talking about budgets and hourly rates. In the current economic climate I like to push that I'm squeezing every little bit I can out of every pound they spend; wearing a Rollie doesnt really communicate this. The Tag may be just as expensive as a Sub but I dont feel it gets the same (sometimes negative) reaction from people. I see people staring at my sub, never get that with the tag.

You're fired.

Nothing on you should scream "look at me, I'm red."

Be classy and professional.

I will go to Los Angeles tomorrow for a job interview. Interviews are one of those times when even the most self-assured among us might give some thought to how we appear. Since I'm always thinking about watches, one of my first thoughts was "Which watch will I wear?" That has to depend on the job. This job is in a lab making slides of biopsied human tissue for pathologists to review and diagnose. The interview will include a test of my microtome and tissue-mounting technique, and I was told to dress casually because of this.

I decided to go with the Seiko SKX009:

post-9746-125201921102_thumb.jpg

I chose this one because it's not a rep, and I wouldn't want to be called out on one in this situation. It looks good, but doesn't shout. And, it's high water resistance (200m) makes it amenable to having chemicals and biologicals washed off of it in case of a spill. I also tend to like bezeled watches in the lab to help me track incubations and other timed events.

What watches would you wear, or have you worn to job interviews?

You're fired.

Nothing on you should scream "look at me, I'm red."

Be classy and professional.

Ahhh... you know your psychology of colours...but I think a little red on the watch is fine... we're not talking about a red jacket or shirt .. :D

regardless CS... luck with your interview..

A~C

L

any OMEGA (but it must not have any flashy or unusual colours) will do regardless the type of jobb

Not sure POLEX is such a good idea

Good luck :drinks:

I agree. I'd go for a Railmaster 39mm. Not too big, elegant and understated.

Keep my fingers crossed! Let us know how it went. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Val.

The last thing someone should notice in an interview is your watch.

Not the very last thing I guess but good point :drinks: I guess we could add a lot of things to such a list of things that should not be noticed...pink underwear, body odor, dirty this and that... 8)

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'll see if I can knock it out of the park.

One interview technique that has served me well in the past is to go into the interview assuming you've got it and that the entire interview process is to convince you that you want to work there. With that mindset, your confidence shows through and the interview will, after the formalities, pretty much turn to them trying to sell the job to you.

Good luck, and I hope they succeed in selling you the job. :)

I haven't been on a job interview in years but I have previously worn some serious ice. Masterpiece, iced day date, etc. I had once told a guy who was interviewing me that my shoes cost more than the salary he was offering and he must me kidding. I have always been in sales and no one wants to hire a sales guy who was broke. You have to project success.

I guess this is the total opposite that any of you would suggest.