When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A foray into the wilds of China

offshore

There's another guy one that would definitely have some good stories for us.

Actually P4, Clive did meet up with Jos and Andrew on his trip. It was the highlight. First handedly dispelling the myth Joshua and Andrew were one in the same. But, those two guys being gentlemen, parted company with Clivo before he got too smashed and hooked up with the girls. I wish I were making that part up, but Clive had pics. He wasn't shy about posting them either. About fifty times.

It's a funny thing Dems my people were raided and closed down last week, what actually happened is they closed down the office (not the factory) and all the office workers had to go back to their home villages and continue normal sales from their home computers.

Well that was last week, this week they are all back in Gaungzhou in a new office (a couple of doors down I think) and it is still business as usual.

I think you hit the nail on the head these people might be employed in an illegal trade but in a country with over a Billion people they are at least employed.

Ken

Back at the hotel a couple of hours later!

Came across a ripping deal on accumulators for quartz watches, and ripped up a couple more k!

So out of money again, and will have to get the address again of the other hotel and find an ATM that works for overseas! Good thing the taxi fares are only RMB10-20 ($2-4)

Jumped a cab to come back, which requires a 8km detour to get on the right side of the expressway, or a 5 minute walk. Was too hot to contemplate walking, but the cabbie couldn't believe I wanted to spend the money! He rattled on for most of the trip, and when I tipped him RMB5 I'm sure he thought he had just transported an alien or Bill Gates! :D

So hving cooled off now in the aircon, I will go and replenish the wallet, and venture back to the markets once more.

To be continued! :p

Alan, you made first mistake choosing LiuHua hotel, it's real crap. I'd recommend "Ocean" or "Garden", it's quite decent hotels.

Second - never ever go with strangers who offer you taxi. I know these guys with minivans, who ask $200 for 1km route. Had experience. But I speak some chinese, so, they weren't too persistent. Fake maney you can get even in chinese bank, they have policy- do not destroy fake banknotes, but give it to "stupid westerners". I know it from friends there, who works in chinese banks. No, nobody will kill anyone for fake money, it's so common there, that they'll return you your 100 yuan with words - it's a fake. That's it.

I visited Watch Market for the first time in 2007, then it was even more open, now dealers hide good stuff. Police was all over, when I was there last time in 2008. But I honestly envy you, I had same thrill first few visits. It's fantastic place. Not only I bought a bunch of decent reps, but also picked up a few priceless catalogs on all chinese-made movements, and it's great help. Here's a few pictures of the place.

Pay attention to the banner on the wall!!!

DSCF0005.jpg

01-2.jpg

03-2.jpg

04-2.jpg

05-2.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

DSCF0018-1.jpg

Hey Luthier,

Mary spoke most kindly of you, and sends her regards.

Yes, woe betide the innocent abroad! Beware of strange men bearing taxi signs!

That sign still hangs there, above all the reps!

And the scenes still look the same!

I am back at the hotel because I am still struggling to withdraw money!

The ATM's just won't work.

I now go to the China Bank with my passport to see if I have better luck.

Have just spent 40 minutes walking in oppressive heat and tried about 6 ATM machines, Thankfully each returned my card!!!!

Can only guess at the dramas if it gets "swallowed" :thumbdown:

O/S

ATM Tip.

If it looks like there is an additional appendage over the card slot, beware. If there is a plastic piece over the card slot-- PULL ON IT. It is not uncommon to find and overlay reader on the machine with small camera to read PIN. It is not uncommon or difficult to duplicate the mag strip onto a hotel key card, and if they have the PIN you bank account might get emptied. Shield your PIN entry from any prying eyes/cameras.

True/Confirmed - http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

Can't understand, why you having problems with ATMs. I used debit cards there for years, and only once ATM ate my card, it happened only because on some machines these idiots start keys from 0 and end on 1 on the bottom, not like is USA - 1,2,3 and next row - 4,5,6... So, I automatically punched my key, and got card returned. After 3 tries ATM ate my card. Thanks God it was inside China Bank at 2pm, so, I grabbed manager's tie and he opened the machine. Since I always look on keys first. Never ever had any other problems to get money. They allows to withdraw 5000 yuan per day. Try to find machine with Languages menu, choose English. You shouldn't get any problems.

Mary is my personal dealer for a few years already, we met a few times, I bought many watches from her, and I can highly recommend her to anyone, she is extremely honest, very hardworking, and very attentive dealer, and just great person. You can write a review about her in here and on RWG-1 forum, I'm sure you like her personality, professionalism and service too. Good luck with ATMs!!!

And about massage... be very careful, when they offer "that" massage... AIDS there fluorishing...they have no idea, what it is. 12th Century.

Edited by Luthier

Have you got any pics to ferment the imagination? :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ahh PD, the king of silly questions! Did you read OS's last post before asking that mate?

Awesome. Makes me want to dust off my American Tourister and go. Hey, thats an idea. Lets get an expidition organized og a dozen or so members here!!

Been done before and was a roaring success.

Wealthy Gweilo :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Not any more brudda!

Of cause that sign is still there! The CN gov promised a crackdown on reps and that's it :)

Great writeing OS. Quite the travel story. Is it oke if I cross post it?

The watch market is an amazing place for shure, 'specialy what goes on upstairs. Did you run into Hont? Narika is in town too I think.

Col.

Col, go for your life.

All, I have just lost a page, and about an hour of work trying to upgrade todays events. :angry:

As I need to start packing to commence the trip home, I fear I may not get an opportunity to conclude this little tale, until I get home in about 48 hours.

If some time does become available, i'll try and rehash what i had done....sorry, you may just have to wait for the conclusion!

Offshore

All, I have just lost a page, and about an hour of work trying to upgrade todays events. :angry:

aaaaah too bad you lost the page, you had so many things to tell today...

I don't want to divulgue what he did and what he saw, but I believe OS has now a much clearer view of the rep market in China. The conclusion will be interesting for sure...

have a good rest dude, tomorrow you must have full of energie for the last rush :Jumpy:

take care

earth2172

So finally after calls to Australia to my bank to see WTF is happening, I again venture out into the heat and go to the bank and ATM. The 1st one I tap gives forth a supply of cash, so like a kid with the keys to the chocolate factory, off to the markets I dash.

Collect a strap order from a couple of days previous, and meet up with a colleague from GZ, to look at some custom straps. We are shown some wonderful croc skins and some made up straps..... just beautiful, and they can be had on day 3 day turn around for the price of a beer back home. Choose your style , stitching, colour, clasp, size of course.... Just design and build whatever you want! So an order for a couple for friends and clients is duly placed.

Then I am taken to the surprise of the trip! In a secured area, attached to the markets are a large number of rooms blanked off from view, and air conditioned and very well appointed. These are for the international and VIP visitors and are the next step wholesaler above the market stall holders.

I have never heard this spoken of before! Through the good graces of my colleague, who is a well known client, we are invited inside, and shown the “wares.”And what a display! These wholesalers have access to all the new release items, and even have preview catalogues of next years offerings, which I browsed for some time. They have contacts with at least 3 factories, and have an amazing range of very up market pieces, a lot of “presence” in many of these watches. I was also shown a new Porsche, released last week, which there is yet to be any mutterings around the boards about.

Another which caught my eye was an Asian driven Richard Mille, and when I was quoted the price, I couldn’t get my wallet out fast enough. Had a chuckle about the 3 well heeled business gents from Europe, who were negotiating a deal on a very upscale model, Brequet or similar, and just wanted a new dial printed, with their companies name replacing the makers logo! Didn’t catch whether the deal was finally done!

Having been messed around and lost a few hours, I was running out of time and needed to get back to the hotel to collect some other watches, and EMS ship a large box of tools and parts I had picked up over the last days. So I jumped another cab, this one driven by Juan Fangios’ son!

My dealer friend arrived soon after with a gaggle of watches, and the EMS courier in tow, and we completed our transactions and said our good byes. This lady has been nothing short of magnificent in her attention these last days, and will be a more than worthwhile addition to our dealer group, once the vetting formalities are completed, and the admin team have had their input!

My colleague from the markets then arrived at the hotel with his lovely wife, and we had a quick meal and made arrangements for today as you can see above.

As I was fading fast, the virtuous couch again beckoned!

On arising today ( Tuesday), I really felt like I had been run over by a truck, just stiff and sore.

To dash off to the markets again would have been a 1 ½ hour sprint at best, so feeling as I did, I opted to rest for the trip home, and boy am I glad I did, even though now, I am only at HK airport!

The enticement to go back this morning, was that there is apparently a similar area to that describe above, which caters to the tool and parts clientelle. As much as I would have loved to spend some time there, I was just not up to it, so I have stored that one in the memory bank for my next visit…. Which will be a damn sight longer... about 3 weeks! Anyone planning to go there should allow a week at minimum and spend a day or two just wandering and getting bearings, before emptying the wallets and bank accounts!

My colleague, (earth 2172), collected me from the hotel late this morning,we had a quick lunch, and he deposited me safely on the bus which connects to HK airport. The train option involved multiple changes, so I chose the longer bus trip, to try to cut out the F*** around factor.

It didn’t!

When you arrive at the China –HK border, you disembark and go thru China customs. This entails health, passport control and customs. Then you go to an embarkation point, board a bus, and travel 800m to HK immigration.. where you repeat the process :whistling: . FFS, this is the same country now! In the interests of both travellers, and the plain economics of the screening process, surely the same officer/s could handle each exit/entry! If 2 processes must be done, put them 50 m apart in the same building!!!

It feels like the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea, with an 800m “buffer zone” in which to shoot escapees!!!

Finally the bus arrives at the airport and stops at the 1st parking spot, in front of terminal 1. On the way in I saw that Qantas was at terminal 4. Would the driver do another drop off? Not on your life! So not unlike Marco Polos travels all those years ago, I again hiked across 4 terminals with VERY weighty cases.

Thank God I bought the new trundle suitcase, or Qantas may have had one passenger in the cargo hold!

And so ends the Offshore tour of downtown China. Hopefully around lunch time tomorrow, I can stretch out on my own bed, and catch up on some much needed rest.

But it has been an experience and a half. Wouldn’t have missed it for quids!

And as (was it Macarthur ?-who said) We shall return (or was that Churchill?) Never matter, one of ’em!

I will separately in a few days time put together some thoughts on the country, the people, and the rep scene there as I saw it. Whilst it may all be fiction, I can only tell things as I see them, and with the advantage of the knowledge gained in my time spent around the rep scene from a forum perspective.

Travelogue ends.

Offshore

• Like 1

An addendum.

Cleared customs to find I was boarding at gate 38.

You guessed it, furtherest gate from the terminal building!

(I reckon there really is a fortune to be made by a bright young lad, with a couple of golf cart style taxis, running weary travellers from plane to exit!)

So after another epic trek, I now sit in the boarding lounge awaiting my flight.

May pen a couple more missives in the next hour or two, as I have some interesting concepts to throw up.

O/S