When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watcheden's Speedmaster Moon

condemore

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't see the big deal on quartz or no quartz in a rep watch. I like my mechanicals...don't get me wrong...most of my watches are mechanical...but for $100 for a quartz, that's a great deal!! It's not like getting a Seagull manual movement or a7750, or Asian 21j is going to get you that much closer to it being "gen" in that the subdial spacing or function is completely off depending on those options...so why not get better subdial spacing and low maintenance?

Mind you, I don't mind the wider spacing of the rep mechanical movements. I'm so used to seeing them, I actually almost prefer the wider spacing. I know...I caused Pug to puke again. ;)

I could n't resist it . Not for that price and a $20 discount too.

Condemore, I think you may have started somthing here. We are all aware of how some watches, whilst not totally accurate,

have become incredibly popular. Reg's PO for example. With the recent Purchase of Gens by some of our members, interest in this classic can only increase.

Your shots are excellent too. A classic look to them complements a classic looking watch.

The pictures at http://www.watcheden.com/omega-speedmaster-working-chronograph-with-black-dial-i-18479-p-1.html

has Seamaster in the clasp, but the one I have says:

OMEGA

Speedmaster

PROFESIONAL,

It's quartz and the chronos work flawlesly. The crystal doesn´t need AR, the dial throught it is beautiful.

For 108$, inclusive the transport, could not be better deal

Great photos, but a few Qs....

1. Case size inc. crown?

2. Definitely slightly domed acrylic/plexi? Looks like a 'stepped' mineral to me, oh well, nothing a new HWS Sternkrauz won't fix.

3. Quartz movt - running secs on the what would be the main chrono hand? Or a ticker on one of the subdials (3 o 'clock say)?

4. Caseback as per site? The classic Hippo with black inked "First Watch Worn....etc."?

I'm as purist as anyone, but that's not the same as being a snob. Take no notice of the quartz 'vomit' comments, I think it looks fantastic for the price, and I know my brother would gladly pick one up as a daily beater - he's just had his 40th a few weeks ago and we clubbed together to buy him a 40th anniversary Apollo XI (silver medallion) Speedy. Gorgeous piece but not something for everyday wear in his job.

If you like 'em wide, there's always the Speedmaster Reduced Automatic. :)

Which is about the worst selling Speedy ever, and with good reason. I'd never recommend anyone buy the gen Reduced, as with the smaller case size and auto movement it's neither here nor there, as evidenced by its unpopularity and a resale value that will tank faster than a 37-month old Mazda. Much better off buying the old school Seagull rep if you can't go for the full sized manual Pro gen.

Anyway, an automatic in a Speedy is about as vomitworthy as the quartz you're sneering at here :)

Honestly Pug, we're all pleased to see you pick up a gen on the cheap and will happily humour you waxing lyrical about it endlessly :whistling: but it's a bit cringeworthy to be acting all holier than thou purist when a newish member posts a very nice budget Speedy rep with great photos. Maybe you could do with taking a leaf out of Lani's book of humility ;)