When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just bought a gen vintage DateJust...

chrgod

This nice 1987 Rolex DateJust will hopefully join me in a few days. The seller just confirmed that he got the payment. Honest seller, I have dealt with him before. :)

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4688019&rid=0

The DateJust might not be "up there" with the cool tool watches; Submariner, GMT-Master, Explorer and Daytonas. Still, I think they are versatile true quality watches that might be good buys on the second hand marked. This watch comes with the original chronometer certificate and have a nice tapestry dial and coin edge bezel. A bit flashy, without any "tacky" gold. I quite like it. The ad had been out for some days, and the price dropped, until I had to jump on it.

It is actually acrylic crystal on this one. the DateJust got sapphire crystal around 1988. But, it adds to a little vintage feel. Nice clean 3035 quickset movement.

An interesting note is that the band is made in Mexico, under license from Rolex. I assume this was made to avoid taxes. I know Omega did this, but I was a bit surprised that a high-end brand that Rolex would have a band stamped with "Joske's"..!

This is my forth gen Rolex, after a Speedking and two 6694 Oysterdates. It is about double the price of the OysterDate. I am working my way up the ladder!

I have not bought a replica for some time. At the moment I am more tempted with gens. I always like to trade, and the domestic market for replicas in Norway is limited. Anyway, I think I will enjoy keeping this watch for myself.

So, what do you think about the DateJusts, and this watch? There is not much reviews of the DateJusts. Perhaps because of all the variations and the lack of dedicated fans.

I was actually considering to either get this or a vintage Omega Speedmaster Professional.. The dealbreaker was that the Lemania 861 movement can be bought in a vintage 400USD Tissot chrono, while this is a true in-house, chronometer certified Rolex movement. Still, I sure will get a true Moonwatch some day! :)

P1050536.jpg

P1050537.jpg

P1050539.jpg

P1050544.jpg

P1050542.jpg

P1050541.jpg

Congratulations. I am not too sure about the sapphire crystal, but, otherwise, it looks like quite a find. :victory: Having a bunch of DJs myself, I think they are some of the best buys in vintage Rolex today. At some point, the rest of the world will figure that out & they will take off just like Subs & GMTs.

The 'Joske's' engraving was probably added by the original retailer/seller, but Rolex did license the manufacture of a limited number of their bracelets to Mexico for some markets (mainly S. American).

Thanks for the comments! :)

I am a bit thilled about this one. The feeling reminds me of waiting for the arrival of my first expensive 7750 powered replicas... several years ago. :lol: You US guys have quite an advantage when it comes to purchase on the second hands marked.

The watch was initially sold in Florida, according to the paperwork. I guess Rolex manufactured at least some of the bands for the US market in Mexico as well.

I wonder..is "tuxedo dial" the same as "tapestry dial"?

I guess Rolex manufactured at least some of the bands for the US market in Mexico as well.

I wonder..is "tuxedo dial" the same as "tapestry dial"?

Yes & yes. The tuxedo, as the name implies, makes for a more formal-looking watch. Not that you cannot still wear them with jeans, but they are definitely more refined than the standard DJ dial. Not to hijack your thread, but I have an '80s (gen) gold version for sale - I generally do not wear gold/tt watches (PM me if anyone is interested)

tapestrydial20051.jpg

tapestrydial20071.jpg