When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to make your Fiddy stand out in the crowd.

RWG Technical

I have been making these custom vintage pocket watch movement upgraded PAM's for quite some time. I thought I would share the latest one that I put together over the summer. If your looking for the ultimate customized one of a kind watch, this would be the one. Forget the 1 of 300 series, this is a 1 of 1 series.

For this one, I started with an Illinois high grade 21 jewel movement from 1923. As you will see it has a lot of nice accents and finishes including a lot of gold plating.

The movement was totally disassembled, the mainplate was machined to fit the fiddy case, then it was fully serviced, including installing a new balance staff due to it being broken.

I like to use the fiddy style hands, but the sizes are wrong and they won't fit a pocket watch movement. So I fabricated new hour and cannon pins to accept the fiddy sized hands.

Here are a few pictures of that process from an earlier post:

1.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

6.jpg

10a.jpg

13.jpg

This movement is a "Pendant set" type, meaning that there is no set lever or stem attached to the movement in the conventional sense. The stem is part of the pocket watch case, if you look closely at the pictures, you will note the missing set lever screw, the one that you would normally loosen to remove the stem.

After a lot of thinking, and trial and error, and making of custom parts and pieces, I managed to make a new stem that does what it should do, that is wind the watch and allow the time to be set. I am very pleased with the results.

The dial is a "Ross" dial, made of two pieces of brass, I painted and patina'd the dial as well as lumed it in my custom Tritium vintage lume mixture and aged the works to give it that true vintage feel.

Since I have a number of these, this one won't be staying in the watch box but will be sold off.

Making these custom watches is not for the faint of heart, it requires a lot of work starting with sourcing and restoring the movement as well as modifying it to fit the case, then you have to manufacture custom parts to accept the hands, then figure out and get the completed movement and dial to fit and line up and actually work in the case...many many hours are needed to get to the stage you see here. But I think it's well worth it, hope you like the results as well.

I have a collection of these vintage pocket watch movements all modified and serviced and waiting for a new home...I just need to find the time...

Pictures...

IMG_04201.jpg

IMG_04211.jpg

IMG_04631.jpg

Everyone is always talking about "Swan Neck regulators", how's this for a gold swan neck regulator, it doesn't get much nicer than this.

IMG_04181.jpg

IMG_04191.jpg

Notice the steel piano wire bars fitted to the edge of the movement and the case to secure the movement in place.

IMG_04271.jpg

IMG_04251.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is truly a unique piece! One of a kind! While the dial side up is a beauty in it's own right, the real work of art is only apparent once you see the back of the watch :wub:

Well done, as always! Your talent never ceases to amaze me; I'm always looking forward to see what you surprise us with next :)

Thanks so much everyone, I really like making these up, each is individual and has it's own character. And I get to use some new skills along the way.

After seeing the posts over the weekend by cortebert, I got the urge to spend some time showing some new stuff.

Better than even a hamilton 917 or 921. It's a shame they used to hide those movements inside the pocketwatches.

I agree with you. The only reason you see the Hamilton's being used, is that the seconds subdial spacing is the same as the ETA 6497, so it's an easy swap. I have found in my searches that there are many many more beautiful and usable movements out there than Hamilton's. I wanted something that was not only different, but of high quality, this fits the bill nicely...

Gotta study those pics of modifying the pinions closer ;).

Really beautiful movement, and mindboggling work on fabricating those parts! The piano strings are definitely an interesting idea as well :p

POST MORE PICS :D

Glad you like it, I was waiting to see what you thought.

On the modifications of the gears, I just finished a Moljina with similar modifications. On the Moljina I tried a new approach, on the hour wheel, I cut the existing tube completely off the existing gear, then I made a new tube out of brass on the lathe, I cut down the tip so that the hand would fit, and then the base was cut down to the size of the hole I broached in the gear. A small notch was cut to fit snugly in the gear, and then I riveted the new brass tube to the original gear. A much better solution and a permanent one as well.

For the cannon pin, I did the same thing, only this time I made the hole in the new cannon pin about 0.01mm smaller and press fitted it onto the existing cannon pin.

I'll do what I can for more pictures, as anyone who has done any work and tried to photograph it along the way, it's very time consuming...

Piano wire was the only solution, case clamps can't be used because they interfer with the caseback, everything for a reason.