When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is a good collection :)

deniz21

hey deniz21--

nice to see your interest, enthusiasm and most importantly your participation...and please know that many of us english speaking only folks truly appreciate your english here!...

i've been allllllll over the place with my tastes, preferences...value watches, watches with great "texture", watches with amazing reviews, etc, etc...i have found that only through buying/trading/selling that i have fine-tuned my collection...it still changes - and always will...i now seem to be migrating toward rare watches - some with mods, some not...

I was going to write a list of what i felt are the best watches to have in a collection, but it would be exhaustive...so instead i will nominate the one watch that IMO, defines RWG...

the IWC Slevin - modded..................great style, look, size, brand...sporty elegance...classy on ss bracelet and on rubber...sparkles with light...chronos b/c we're all gadget guys at heart and need something to fiddle with...and what makes this watch an RWG signature piece is the addition of "The Zigmeister" (or others) lume...some owners require it to have Chief's amazing double AR, some go for the out-of-box, close to gen look...

these puppies are rising in price, too...

what also intrigues me with this watch is that some of us have strong preferences toward Panerai, Rolex, Breitling, Omega, Hublot, etc, etc -- but the one watch that many of us have in our respective collections in this beauty...

enjoy -- R

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks hackr, for this informative statemant, and again thabk you to all of you postin in this thread, but specialy Lanikai, man dude your input was awsome and thanks for all your beautys postin here :)

(ps im not only in the sporty watches, maybe my stile has changed a little bit now :) )

realy you made it me a lot easyier to make my choices :victory:

and the only reason for me to wait so long for buying my watches was because i had a offer for some realy cool gens, but it dosnt worked until now, and i was boring for waiting any longer for them :whistling:

so know here i am :thumbsupsmileyanim: and my first quality rep is payed and purchased :)

and it is.....tada right its a UPO planet ocean in black on steel of course ( i like challenges :thumbsupsmileyanim: ), i think it is a good start and of course one of my beloved watches i weard the gen a few times, and i was so close to buy it at the AD, but i didnt...not because of the price, this wasnt the biggest problem, but i know now how good some reps are, the UPO the Breitlings and and and... :thumbsupsmileyanim: and this fact dont make it very easy to buy a watch for 2500 euro when you can have a realy good rep for 200 :)

but before i forget to say this, its realy a great feelin to be a part of your community, for all the revies , discussion, pictures and the help if someone needs some :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

if i would wear a hat i would take it of for you :drinks:

and know i cant wait for the watch :) of course i bougt some equipment too (a big hammer, and a sixpack for resizing the bracelet :pardon: )

i wish you all the best :)

from good old germany Deniz

• 2 weeks later...

Lani

On page one, In your photo of the DSN Fiddy next to I think the 29, there is what looks like a 47mm Fiddy with Brevettato dial, What is that please have you a better pic?

Thanks

Lani

On page one, In your photo of the DSN Fiddy next to I think the 29, there is what looks like a 47mm Fiddy with Brevettato dial, What is that please have you a better pic?

Thanks

you like that one huh ??

give me 30 minutes to take some pics of it..

I'll place the pics in the Pam section pete..

• 2 months later...

bumb for this thread, cause it helped me a lot and two of my list are already in my watch box :thumbsupsmileyanim: more to come :whistling:

but maybe it helps another noob like me two so, thank you all for makin this thread :drinks: it helped me a lot :)

and it maybe helps you too :)

best regards deniz

More to view..

Better pics of the 3717 and TG

iwc3717andtg011.jpg

iwc3717andtg006.jpg

CD 2006 the best of the CD line.. fully modded with chief AR .. gen eta 7750

iwccd001.jpg

The reflection on the dial is Hawaii's orange setting sun.. chiefs AR is invisible

iwccd008.jpg

iwccd009.jpg

"The Slevin" .. fully modded ... chiefs AR

19308487.jpg

the only reflection is on the dial..

73201433.jpg

Best Sub WM9.. genuine insert

wm9sub005.jpg

Speedy's very Good !!!

speedys003.jpg

oemgaspeedysreps002.jpg

Super Aquaracer

tagaracerpam111hebel006.jpg

111H modded .. genuine OEM crown

tagaracerpam111hebel008.jpg

tagaracerpam111hebel024.jpg

I'll continue with other top reps..

AC

Lani

wow :thumbsupsmileyanim:

LAni,

I have to say, I'm in awe of your collection. You have some beautiful examples of the wonderful world of watches in your collection.

many years ago, I started "collecting" vintage fountain pens. I have had a love affair with pens for almost as long as I have with watches. I "collected" for quite a few years, and thought I was going in the right direction. Well about that time I had occasion to visit a really well known collector who lived fairly close to me. Turned out we were in college at the same University at the same time, but didn't know each other.I told him what I was collecting, and showed him some photos of my pens. "Well he told me, What you have here is and accumulation, not a collection". I was a little taken aback buit asked him to explain. What he toold me was to have a real collection, you must narrow your focus. Collect one brand, one color, one size, etc. but narrow your focus. What you have here is all over the place, 10 different brands, all types, sizes, etc.I suppose he is right to a point. i did try to narrow my focus to one brand, and indeed up with a pretty nice collection of one brand, about 100+ pens. However, I still bought others that made me happy. These were added to my accumulation!

So, while Lani's and mine and lots of others of you out there may not be collectors in the strictest sense of the word, what we buy are watches that make us HAPPY. And for me I think that's the most important point.

It would be interesting,incredibly expensive and probably challenging as well, to be able to collect every variant of the Rolex Submariner, from the very first to the latest. But would it be gratifying? I think not. I think that after the hunt was complete, one would tire very quickly of that sort of collection. Whereas one like Lani's with lots of different brands, models, colors, etc. would hold your interest and thus keep your passion up for a long, long time.

Arthur you are spot on

I consider myself a hobbyist in reps not so much a collector

I do consider my Doxa watches a collection but as reps they are simply what pleases me and my mood will change from month to month

I loved to write with fountain pens so I have an assortment of the older thin lined fountains

my friend has a collection of numbered pens that are made for anything but writting

but back on point

it is as Arthur states.... What brings you joy

it's ok to step out of the box...oversized or standard size

sport watch or whatever

do what makes it pleasurable for you

What do you think of my plan for my collection? can you guys suggest any good IWC watches?

watchtogether.jpg

I've got 3 on that bottom row and a few others that have come and gone...

14790ST (with arabic dial, old out of production thin case with silver bezel screws):

IMG_7182.jpg

3717 (franken with Swiss 7750, gen dial and hands, ETA German DDW, Chief AR):

IMG_9409.jpg

16520 (franken with El Primero 400, gen dial, hands, case, bezel, crown, tube, etc. etc.):

IMG_0327.jpg

The above are keepers in the collection, IMO. At least, they are in mine :)

And these are two more that have been in my watch box at one point or another, but are no longer...

16610 (modded WM9 with gen 295C crystal, bezel assembly, crown, tube, modded bracelet, etc):

IMG_1579.jpg

16710 (out of production TW Best; been so long since I've had this one that I forgot it was even in my collection at one point. Sub par pic is sub par...):

189_8933.jpg

Thanks, sir :) I don't have a huge collection (total of 10 or so pieces), but I try to keep it tightly focused. I try not to exceed the 10 watch limit, but sometimes it happens :)

I would say that the watches in your planned list would make for a great roster. With regards to more IWC suggestions, I think the Slevin is definitely one to add! Or, if you like larger cases, the Cousteau ATs would be a great choice as well...

IMG_8355.jpg

Thanks, sir :) I don't have a huge collection (total of 10 or so pieces), but I try to keep it tightly focused. I try not to exceed the 10 watch limit, but sometimes it happens :)

I would say that the watches in your planned list would make for a great roster. With regards to more IWC suggestions, I think the Slevin is definitely one to add! Or, if you like larger cases, the Cousteau ATs would be a great choice as well...

IMG_8355.jpg

you pointet it out in your signature :) and +1 for this ubi :)

and btw ... man here are so many people who would help you out with that problem :D when you have more then ten watches :rofl:

put me in line for that case my friend :):rofl: