When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An American Railroad Watch

Utheman

An American RailRoad Watch

rrw_03.jpg

I have been a member of this board for less than 1 year and have learned much about replica watches specifically, and watches is general due mainly to the wealth of knowledge and information supplied by the excellent supporters and experts of this board. One area of watchmaking/horology that has always interested me is the American Railroad Watch, produced during a brief timespan in the watchmaking industry. Nevertheless, it was also an era that has produced some of the most accurate, durable and beautiful watches ever made. In an effort to "give back" to the community and add to our collective knowledge base, I would like to present a brief history and a short pictorial (my own watch) of an American Railroad Watch.

Thank you for viewing,

ww

History

Railroads provided the backbone of the American transportation system in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Since the railroads operated on strict time schedules, the railroad industry was responsible for standardization of time in the United States. The establishment of four major time zones across the continental U.S. was the result of the railroad industry. In 1838 standards for watches to be used by railroad personnel who were responsible for schedules were adopted under the General Railroad Timepiece Standards. Among the standards was one pertaining to accuracy; the railroad watch could gain or lose only thirty seconds per week. In general, these standards varied with the different railroad companies and eventually evolved to a standard set of requirements in the 1890's.

Most people know from history books that the 1890s was the time when trains were widely used for transportation. Trains were not only crucial for transporting people, they were also important for the timely and efficient movement of economic goods. This in itself was enough of a reason for what we know now as antique pocket railroad watch pieces to function well. It was not however, just an issue of timeliness. Efficient railroad watches were necessary to prevent accidents. Since there were hundreds of trains at that time, schedules had to be maintained and trains and tracks were supposed to move according to the set time. Sometimes though, a conductor's railroad watch could malfunction. This was what happened in Kipton, Ohio in 1891, when two trains in opposite directions met and crashed into each other, killing 11 people. This all happened because one conductor's watch was four minutes late. The government therefore instructed a commission to come up with guidelines and standards for timepieces.

Many experts feel that American watchmaking reached its pinnacle with the invention of the railroad watch. In an effort to meet the stringent and rigorous demands of the railroads, where the incorrect time could and did prove disastrous, American watchmakers were called upon to make a watch that was incredibly reliable and incredibly accurate -- far more so than any watch previously being manufactured. And they met the challenge! Following years of development, by the turn of the 20th century American watch factories were producing pocket watches of unsurpassed quality. Watches that would lose no more than 30 seconds per week. Watches that were specially adjusted to keep accurate time no matter what position in which they were held, and in both cold weather and hot. Watches where all the major wheels were jeweled in order to prevent wear from long hours, days, years and decades of constant use.

The main requirement for a railroad watch was, of course, that it be accurate. Throughout the twenty years from 1890 to 1910, the various railroads' watch standards evolved, demanding more stringent adherence to safety and good timekeeping principles. Although minor local differences remained, they became uniform enough such that the watch companies could build, at reasonable cost, both 18 size, and later 16 size, watches that would be accepted on any railroad. By the 1930's, however, only size 16 watches were approved, and these watches had to also have at least 19 jewels, be lever set, open face and adjusted to five positions, temperature and isochronism [i.e. the watch couldn't gain or lose time as the spring wound down].

The Standards

The 1891 Watch Standard Requirements were:

- American Made

- 16 0r 18 Size (Lancashire Gauge for measuring Watches!)

- 17 Jewel Movement or more

- Temperature Compensated

- Adjusted to 5 Positions (Face Up & Down, Crown Up & Down, Sideways!)

- Lever Set (Safety Device!)

- +/- 30 Seconds Accuracy a Week!

- Must be fitted with:

Double Rollers

Patented Regulator

Steel Escape Wheel

Plain White Dial (Or Silver)

Black Arabic Numbers

Each Minute Delineated (Outlined Around Face)

Open Face

Winding Stem at 12:00 O'Clock Position

Once the standards were laid out, all the big Watch Companies set them into motion. Watch Companies like: Illinois Watch Co. Elgin Watch Co. Hamilton Watch Co. Waltham (Ball) Watch Co. and Hampden Watch Co.

Webb C. Ball was instrumental is establishing a system of individual watch inspections, and any watch that gained or lost 30 seconds or more in 7-14 days had to be repaired by an experienced and approved watchmaker. Because this system was adopted and strictly adhered to, American watch manufacturers were required to develop and produce a superior railroad watch, and the traveling public was assured of increased safety.

These standards looked at life on the railroad and all that it had to account for. Things like: dust and ashes from coal and debris. Getting bumped, jolted and moved around. Getting dropped and turned upside down. Being subjected to extreme heat and freezing temperatures. The watch had to handle all sorts of trauma, and through it all, more than anything, it had to be accurate.

They used rubies in the movement of these watches (17 Jewel) because the jewels were harder than Steel. Corrundum (ruby) is the second hardest gemstone underneath the diamond. Precious gems like rubies wouldn't wear down with mechanical wear and tear or continuous friction. They kept the working movements and ticking perfectly in sync.

The Lever Set was a safety latch that kept the hands from being accidentally bumped or moved. To set the time, you actually had to open the case, push the lever, and set the hands.

Everyone who worked with the railroad service had to have a Certified Railroad Approved Watch. All the employees, from conductors to train men, engineers, yard men, foreman, signal men, telephone operators & train maintainers had to comply!

The employees had to submit their watches for examination and receive a certificate at the beginning of each and every trip.

The train signal would blow at the top of every hour on the hour. Every employee would check their watch for accuracy and set their time to the "Mark". It was like a fine tuned machine. Those were the great days of steam locomotives and riding on the great endless railways.

Over the years, slight adjustments to the Official Watch Standards were updated as new technology came out. Little by little, that wonderful period of time was fading away... And so was the life of the Pocket Watch!

Certified Railroad Approved Watches finally ran their ground around 1978. This was because of one major change in the watch Industry: The birth of the quartz movement!

Railroad watch history timeline;

http://www.google.co...&tbo=p&tbs=tl:1,tll:1820,tlh:1839&ei=tpfSSseVBYWAswPSv5XwCw&oi=timeline_histogram_nav&ct=timeline-histogram&cd=1&ved=0CA0QyQEoAQ

The Watch

The Watch shown here is an original set Hamilton 992L produced in 1927

Case: 16 size, open face, gold filled, produced by J. Boss for the Hamilton Watch company

Dial: White, double sunk, Arabic numerals, spade hands

Movt: 21 Jewels, lever set, 5 adjustments, lever escapement, nickel, 3/4 plate

rrw_03.jpg

rrw_04.jpg

rrw_07.jpg

rrw_09.jpg

rrw_15.jpg

rrw_12.jpg

rrw_16.jpg

rrw_17.jpg

rrw_20.jpg

rrw_24.jpg

That's a handsome movement.

A recent issue of Watch Time magazine (I think it's the one with that lunatic Glenn Beck on the cover) asserts that Webster Ball is the source of the expression "on the Ball." Since he was the man in charge of keeping the railroad clocks accurate; when he was successful and gained for the railroad clocks a reputation of precision, anything that was on schedule or proficient could be described as being "on the Ball."

A recent issue of Watch Time magazine (I think it's the one with that lunatic Glenn Beck on the cover) asserts that Webster Ball is the source of the expression "on the Ball." Since he was the man in charge of keeping the railroad clocks accurate; when he was successful and gained for the railroad clocks a reputation of precision, anything that was on schedule or proficient could be described as being "on the Ball."

Very interesting. I didn't know that.

ww,

Thanks for the resource tip on The ZM's thread.

This is an amazing post and a timely one at that since my interest in vintage pocket watch movements is soaring!

Anytime Vly. That Internet Horology site has a lot of info and plenty of folks who will help you find what you're looking for

Incredible work and effort Warren.. Pugs has a heirloom that was given to his Grandfather by the French Embassy .. solid gold.. incredible also..

regardless.. thank you for the informative history..

AC

lani

Thanks Lani. It was fun to do, and I learned a lot in the process

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the bump TeeJay as I missed this before as well.

That surely is a great write up Utheman, in fact had we still been doing them it would have been a hands down winner of 'Post of the Month'

Ken

Thanks for the bump TeeJay as I missed this before as well.

That surely is a great write up Utheman, in fact had we still been doing them it would have been a hands down winner of 'Post of the Month'

Ken

Aw shucks! Looks like I missed it by a couple of years. Thanks Ken

Wow. I'm glad this got bumped up. What a great read. Thanks for putting this together, I love learning about the history of timepieces. You also have a really nice Hamilton there, incredible condition given its age. Amazing!

Thanks krpster. Glad you enjoyed it.

Great writeup!

I have a low mileage 1930s 992 in a gold filled case similar to yours.

I went to the old Hamilton factory in Lancaster PA a few years ago...it was a condo at the time (Hamilton Arms), but still in good condition.

Sad but at least it is still standing.

Thanks automatico. You should post up some pics of yours. I would love to see them.

Out of curiosity, did your research show if there were any other people who might have had this kind of watch? Post Masters, of federal couriers, for example?

No, sorry TeeJay. The only articles I saw mentioned various railroad workers requiring this type of watch, but I'll keep a lookout for you.

Wow, beautiful write up my friend. :1a: To quote the Zigmister "classic elegance never go's out of style" so very true. Your pics really do capture the simple beauty of this piece. If your main objective was to give back to this community, mission accomplished. :good: Thank you so much for your time and effort. :clapping: All aboard

No, sorry TeeJay. The only articles I saw mentioned various railroad workers requiring this type of watch, but I'll keep a lookout for you.

No worries, but thanks, it would be interesting to know :)

Wow, beautiful write up my friend. :1a: To quote the Zigmister "classic elegance never go's out of style" so very true. Your pics really do capture the simple beauty of this piece. If your main objective was to give back to this community, mission accomplished. :good: Thank you so much for your time and effort. :clapping: All aboard

Dare it is! :wiggle: