When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newest noobfactory blue ceramic Sub review!

gioarmani

Next to my SMP chrono review in the Omega section, here's the other half of my latest shipment from Chris @ Eurotimez, up for review. :)

This is a slightly different and slightly better new-style 41mm blue cerachrom Submariner, from the noobfactory.

Overall, the craftsmanship, if you will, is sharper and crisper than the one I originally got from Hont. The lugs are a bit sharper, the lume is 100 times better, with crisper dial print... anyway, have a look:

IMG_3262.jpg

One of the nicest things that stood out to me on first impression was the bezel insert--the numbers are engraved a bit deeper and really takes to the paint-mod better than my last one. The pearl and it's triangle are better looking and the insert itself clearly sits below the lip of the bezel, exactly like the gen:

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3265.jpg

The dial print on my previous one from Hont left a little to be desired (no offense to Hont)--the dial print was not raised at all and was printed so thin that the blue showed though the print under a loupe on the edges of the letter. here, the print is raised, nice & shiny, and quite clear:

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3284.jpg

Typical of all blue-sub models, they lack the four gen-like engravings on the underside of the lugs, but other than that the case is nice and sharp, with a beautiful case-back that has sharp teeth, and sits flush & smoothly against the case:

IMG_3289-1.jpg

Nice CG's; same shape as the gen:

IMG_3284.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

The band has a nice gen-like feel to it, as nice as the DSSD, for all intents and purposes. Well constructed, perfectly symmetrical clasp & buckle:

IMG_3282.jpg

The extension isn't the proper glide-lock that was on Hont's, but I guess that's a sacrifice for a better band:

IMG_3314.jpg

Fortunately, I have another band that I can swap it out with.. ;)

Nice, clean movement, only gains 2 seconds per day so far!

IMG_3330.jpg

And I'm guessing this is the signature of the quality-control checker...

IMG_3334.jpg

Here's one of the nicest features about this noob-factory version...the lume. It glows like a proper re-lume with luminova. And it doesn't fade out nearly as fast as 99% of other reps. The pearl is different in color, and the lume is a bit green, but it's worth it for the glow. This particular lume--in pitch darkness (not shot out of laziness, being two in the morning)--was still visible over four hours later.

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

All in all, I feel it was definitely worth the upgrade. Thanks for looking! :)

Thanks all.

To be honest, a robins-egg blue isn't a traditional color for a watch, but for some reason the color unbelievable thick & rich in person. It reminds me of those classic cars with layers and layers of deep-looking lacquer paint. It really grown on you, once you see how it's actually quite universal with clothing too. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I love it...and i hate it...at the same time!!

Nice to see pics!!! Great!!

Ditto. Excellent review, Geo. Really well done. :good:

As for the Smurf itself, I remain torn. Since the gen 1st appeared at Basel, I was 1 of the few who were attracted by its shade of blue (good match with a pair of faded jeans & a t), but all that bling. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Still, I had intended to pick this model up as soon as someone released a version that matched the overall quality of the GMTIIC, which this 1 certainly does. But my experience with the GMTIIC, with its similarly blingy surfaces (& more understated black insert/dial), has dulled me to the idea of buying another blingy watch that will spend most of its time in a case. :(

Gio, you mentioned that the CG were same shape as gen does just this particular model have fatter flat-topped CGs or have they transitioned away from the "pointy" slimmer CGs? I really like the looks of a more substantial CG (like this) but I had just about gotten used to the skinny ones! To me these look like a brand new gear tooth whereas the skinny ones look like a worn out gear tooth!

Lovely watch, I also thought long and hard about buying one of these, but I just couldn't come at the blueness of the blue. According to a local Rolex dealer the Gens are not selling either.

Good review and great photos. The dissapointing thing about the new rep Rolexes with the engraved rehaut, (I have two of them)is that not only the word Rolex not commencing on the nine hour marker as it should, but I think more obvious is that the Rolex emblem at the 12 hour mark is always off centre usually to the right as you look at it on your wrist. Anyone with decent eyesight can see this straight away and just about everyone on the planet would know that Rolex would never get that wrong. So a quick and deadly give away!! :-(

• 4 months later...