When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Datejust Franken finished at last!

Brightight

Well nearly.........

There were a few dramas with this one. Suffice to say the movement was in and out of the case and stripped of dial and hands rather more times than I care to mention. The 2846 planned for this was eventually replaced with a 2836 as the 2846 I have has the slightly raised ETA datewheel which doesn't leave enough room and the insert fouls on the dial. I have a spare flat datewheel but wanted this finished as I'm off on two weeks business travel on Monday so the quick solution was the 2836 which already had an insert fitted. The datewheel font is not correct for a 1978 DJ but it will do till I can get something better, and I lost the Tudor second hand so that was fitted with the second hand from the donor watch which is not quite long enough. That will be replaced in due course.

I have a second DJ project also on the go and I have managed to obtain my preferred 'tapestry' dial for that one. Just waiting for the dial and a white gold fluted bezel to arrive.

I'm very pleased with the project outcome and find it wears fairly large on the wrist and doesn't feel too small. And now the pics -

djf01004.jpg

djf01005.jpg

djf01006.jpg

Well done! The great thing about these DJ's is how easily they go together, and how relatively wallet friendly they are as well.

If I may suggest just one tiny change- Looks like you need to adjust the dial just slightly to the left (counter clockwise). Looks like it's just ever so slightly off center. But the watch as a whole looks great!

Well done! The great thing about these DJ's is how easily they go together, and how relatively wallet friendly they are as well.

If I may suggest just one tiny change- Looks like you need to adjust the dial just slightly to the left (counter clockwise). Looks like it's just ever so slightly off center. But the watch as a whole looks great!

Thanks Ubi, well spotted!! I was so carried away with the beauty of my creation I hadn't noticed ;) I assumed it was cyclops distortion in the pic but you were right. Now fixed.

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, I do believe DJ's are underappreciated as Camiel said, it is a very elegant watch indeed. Strangely when I first got into reps and was looking around, before I found the forums, I was most attracted to the DJ. However it has taken me a couple of years and lots of blind alleys to come round to it again.

Now onwards to the next one...........................:D

Firstly, that DJ is beautiful.

Secondly, I'm happy to say that DateJusts get a good amount of attention here. Many people have neglected them due to the new larger, wall-clock-on-your-wrist-styling fad going on and I'm happy to see that people still have an interest in them. I am looking to build an '80's two-tone Datejust as well...... when I get the right parts and stuff.

Enjoy!

Lovely project and very well done indeed.

I would very much appreciate more details about the parts and the story of your watch.

I bought my first DateJust lately ( a gen ) and I became very attracted by these watches.

There seem to be a DateJustMania starting here these days.

I would recommend, as Freddy already did, to buy at least one "neo-vintage" gen before they eventually follow the prices of the Subs and SDs.

I saw a TwoTone with white dial on Jubille going for 1.500

Nicely done. :good:

By the way, the 2836 is the appropriate engine for a late 70s (through 80s) DJ. These were 3035-powered, so the 2846 would have been too slow.

Ah thats interesting, so it appears I stumbled on the correct thing then by pure luck! I admit I assumed a '78 would be the slow beat movement. In that case the 2846 will go in something more vintage. I have a spare 2836 which I had in any case assumed would be the correct movement for my other DJ Project which is based on a 1984 16014 Case and will have the Tapestry dial (assuming its safe transit through the post!).

Good job, and an excellent franken. As Demsey says, no one will ever know. I don't even think the datewheel matters- I think if Rolex were to put a new datewheel in a 16014 during service these days, it would have the closed 6's and 9's (i.e. modern). They did that on my 16800 when it was serviced- it even had smaller font , hence bad date mag. Luckily, i was able to pick up an old datewheel and install it- fixed the problem. Some things, Rolex just doesn't care about, I believe.

Like Freddy says, the 2836 is correct for your watch w/ the 28.8K beat.

here's mine form 3 years back

post-175-125633424463_thumb.jpg

Lovely project and very well done indeed.

I would very much appreciate more details about the parts and the story of your watch.

I bought my first DateJust lately ( a gen ) and I became very attracted by these watches.

There seem to be a DateJustMania starting here these days.

I would recommend, as Freddy already did, to buy at least one "neo-vintage" gen before they eventually follow the prices of the Subs and SDs.

I saw a TwoTone with white dial on Jubille going for 1.500

Ah thats interesting, so it appears I stumbled on the correct thing then by pure luck! I admit I assumed a '78 would be the slow beat movement. In that case the 2846 will go in something more vintage. I have a spare 2836 which I had in any case assumed would be the correct movement for my other DJ Project which is based on a 1984 16014 Case and will have the Tapestry dial (assuming its safe transit through the post!).

The 160x series of DJs were powered by the 19.8k bph 1575, but these watches had 'pie pan' (concave) dials. Beginning around 1977, the new 160xx series were fitted with 28.8k bph 3035s, which beat at the same rate as the 2836. 1982 16014 on left, 1970 1601 (with hard-to-see pie pan 'Mystery' dial) on right

16014and1601012denhan1.jpg

They did that on my 16800 when it was serviced- it even had smaller font , hence bad date mag. Luckily, i was able to pick up an old datewheel and install it- fixed the problem. Some things, Rolex just doesn't care about, I believe.

Horrible story that happens to often :Jumpy:

Thanks Stephane. Regarding the parts, the 16200 case with crystal, white gold fluted bezel and crown came from A&E Watches on ebay, the bracelet, spring pins and hands from Clarks (Nostalgia 2000 on ebay), the dial also from ebay, and the datewheel from Cubic Works (disappointingly incorrect!). The 2836-2 was removed from a donor watch obtained on ebay for not a lot of money (I rarely go over $40 for such donor watches and usually less), and serviced. Oh and the clasp from someone in China, again via ebay. And of course the famous Stilty conversion ring from our very own Stilty. It has taken quite a few months to collect the parts, during which I found a 16014 case and dial at a very good price on ebay, thus leading to the second project. The toal cost of the first was in the region of $600, however the second is a bit less due to more astute buying or maybe luck!

I did obviously consider a gen, but a big part of the fun for me is actually obtaining the parts and building the damn thing. Every time I look at it I know the effort (and the problems!) that went into it, and it makes it more precious to me.

Wowowo, that is a serious plan. Congrats again.

Yes, of course it's fun to build it instead of buying a gen one!