When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Father-In-Law's Watch

Utheman

My father-in-law gave me this watch today because he says he never uses it and he knows I'm into watches. The only thing he could tell me about it is that it's from the early 70's. Maybe some experts here can chime in with some info? I'm gonna have to do some research to find out the model # and all the specs and stuff.

Notice the original bracelet, all the coating is worn off. There's a little ding in the crystal between 12 and 1, otherwise it's in overall pretty good shape. It runs fine and I'll probably take it in for servicing this weekend.

So for now some quick and dirties. Sorry for the poor quality. I'll post some more when I get better lighting. With practice, maybe I'll produce shots of the quality of Ubi's granites or Lani's wristers....

Thanks for looking.

Breit01.jpg

Breit03.jpg

Breit02.jpg

Son of a gun, well in this case son-in-law of a gun, that is a very nice vintage Breit indeed.

I know nothing about them but it looks like the type of watch TTK use to turn up from time to time.

Ken

Edit to add....I think it's the 815.4 http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/breitling-nos-long-playing-815-4

Son of a gun, well in this case son-in-law of a gun, that is a very nice vintage Breit indeed.

I know nothing about them but it looks like the type of watch TTK use to turn up from time to time.

Ken

Edit to add....I think it's the 815.4 http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/breitling-nos-long-playing-815-4

Don't think it's an 815.4 Ken. Notice that the one in the link you provided has lugs, where this one doesn't. Dials are very similar though.

very nice, indeed...looks especially cool on the leather strap pix from A!...

i didn't notice that the bracelet didn't have any gold coloring until the second look-see...that's kinda wierd that it's missing it all - unless it's a replacement ss bracelet...but that would be wierd, too... :g:

do you have any pix of the caseback and/or movement yet?...or the bracelet clasp?...

thanks for sharing...

(every now and again, i ponder selling a bunch of reps and picking up a vintage Navi...awhile back, A sent a link of a really nice affordable one that has haunted me since... :huh: )

R-

Thanks all for your input.

@spceialvat:

I'm not sure if I'll take it to Breitling service or not. I need to check out the cost first. The watchsmith I use for my reps does vintage watches also, so I'll probably check with him first. He's doing some work for me on my pocket watches

@andreww:

That's the one. Thanks for finding that info. It's definitely hand-wind. I like the look with the leather strap

@hackR:

At first I thought it was a replacement bracelet, but he guaranteed me it is the orignal. I'm going to get a strap for it anyway. I'll get more pictures including the caseback and bracelet clasp over the weekend. Not sure about getting movement shots yet, it looks like I need a blade to open it and I haven't done one of those yet

@Bike Mike

Thanks for the info. Time for me to do some investigation.

@Ubi

It was a very nice surprise. He's visiting from Virginia for Thanksgiving and I previously asked him to bring it so I could check it out. I never expected him to give it to me. Doesn't suprise me that he kept the box and papers, though, he's like that.

@Zig

Thanks. I'm going to get a strap for it. Got any suggestions?

Very nice gift! :shock: I'd send it to Breitling for the service to get the inclusive clean and polish. Of course, it would depend on cost I guess. Certainly it deserves it though. Either way...wear it well. It's a very nice piece.

I'm thinking about it. As far as I can tell, not having contacted a service ctr yet, it's somewhere between $480-600 for service. Parts would be extra of course and I don't even know what parts are needed, aside from the crystal. It's in the flip-a-coin zone right now.