When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6538

panerai153

After a fair time away from vintage reps, I'm starting to feel the desire stirring inside! I have been looking at the Eurotimez 6538 as a possible starting point for a modded 6538. What would it take to make this one accurate. I can't tell from the photos if the dial on tthis one is a gilt dial or just yellow? I'm not sure I want to invest the money to make a "Franken' with a yuki case, gen movement etc.

Any help from some of you real hard core experts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Arthur

It all depends on how much you know about vintage Rolex, how neurotic you are & how much money, time & effort you are willing spend to placate your neurosis.

Euro's watch gets the general 6538 theme right, but most of the details wrong. As is, this watch should fool anyone who knows little or nothing about vintage Subs, but is likely to be spotted as a fake by anyone who does. The basic features of a 6538 are all there, but not in their correct form (incorrect colors, sizes, fonts, shapes, locations, etc).

The dial colors & fonts are close, but no horseshoe

euro6538.jpg

The crystal is the wrong shape, the pearl should not have a metal surround, the insert fonts are wrong. However, the middle case, if the dimensions are correct (38mm x 15mm), might work but I would swap out the original 'fast beat' ETA for a 'slow beat' ETA 2846

euro6538a.jpg

The caseback is incorrect & the bracelet looks fake (& is famous for falling to bits upon arrival)

euro6538b.jpg

Were it me, I would replace the dial (Yuki), crystal (gen) bezel/insert (CWP), 8mm Brevet crown/tube (Yuki), bracelet (Yuki) & case (Yuki) & gen 1030 movement. This would set you back at least $2,500 plus the cost of labor to service the movement & assemble the parts. However, for an off-the-shelf rep, this is probably as good as it gets.

Freddy, Thanks very much for the input. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to spend 2500 on any watch right now. I do have a couple of questions about some of the things you mentioned. One, will the Bezel, Insert from CPW fit the Eurotimeez case? Also,would the yuki 8mm Brevet crown fit the ETA movement that you can get with the Eurotimez version of the 6538? I know there are a lot of problems, but the crown that comes on the watch is waaaay off! I would imagine the correct crown and bezel/ insert wouuld fix a lot of this watches' problems?

Thanks

Arthur

One, will the Bezel, Insert from CPW fit the Eurotimeez case?

If the MBW case is made to the same dimensions as the gen case it should. But you will need to contact the seller to find out.

Also,would the yuki 8mm Brevet crown fit the ETA movement that you can get with the Eurotimez version of the 6538?

It should, but I have never seen 1 of those MBWs in person, so the only way to know for sure is to roll the dice & find out.

Thanks for the detailed analysis Freddy.

To me the biggest deal breaker is that the crown protrudes from the case well below the midline. It's almost comical when seen from the side.

Even in the 6538 incarnation these are thin watches. They have very shallow rehaut, very low domes and shallow casebacks. The midcase is quite thin, and seen next to a rep they look almost like a dress watch. Every 653x rep to date is grotesquely too thick. Hence the Yuki (et al) cases.

Take the easy way out, get a cheapo and try to fit a CWP bezel, and abuse it thoroughly. After all that's what we're all about... enjoying our watches.

Thanks eveyone, I may try that route. Or, I may just try to pick up a old no date Sub and go from there. Too bad the Yuki case will not accept 2824's or 2836's It would make this project half as expensive and cosmetically identical to the 1030 movement version.

Right, Freddy, and didn't it sell for some ungodly amount in a recent Antiquorum auction?

BTW, here's a 6202 Turn-o-graph I ran across- maybe these had A296 automatic movements.

Looks like new bezel, service dial, new hands...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350280933285&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyway I guess only REALLY cool people wear a no CG rollie :good:

rolex_mcqueen.jpg

I gotta say, the fact that the coolest man ever in film McQueen wears a sub, makes me so happy I'm getting one soon, care of the right honourable Lanikai-san.