When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mbw 1680

ubiquitous

Last week, I received a new addition to my collection to replace a prior MBW 1680 that I had sold (and since regretted). This one is a collaborative effort between myself and Tommy (palpatine). I appreciate and enjoy Tommy's work very much- So much that I just had to have some of his 'artwork' in my watchbox.

This watch consists of:

-MBW 1680

-Genuine Tropic 127 (ubi)

-Genuine bezel insert (ubi)

-Genuine crown (palpatine)

-Genuine tube (palpatine)

-Dial aged (palpatine)

-Shaped CG's (palpatine)

-Drilled lugs (palpatine)

-Genuine springbars (palpatine)

-Hollow link Oyster bracelet (ubi)

109706-24190.jpg

109706-24191.jpg

109706-24192.jpg

109706-24193.jpg

109706-24194.jpg

109706-24195.jpg

I added a few touches myself, but the overall product is Tommy's. I think he did a fantastic job... A keeper in my book.

I find collecting other people's work to be the same as collecting art :) Maybe a strange way to look at the hobby, but for me it's just another facet of the fascination...

^_^

Thanks for looking!

Best,

R

That is one darn good looking red 1680! The Palp aged dial is a total killer!

I'm more of a 1665 fan but this one leaves me scratchng my head. :p I would have zero concerns wearing this guy to a watch show, short sleeves included. :D

Congrats, Randy! Another marvelous piece added to your collection.

Jet

I find collecting other people's work to be the same as collecting art :) Maybe a strange way to look at the hobby, but for me it's just another facet of the fascination...

^_^

Thanks for looking!

Best,

R

It's a true beautiy680 you've got and modded to the perfection :wub: Hey....we're in competition now :lol: Honestly speaking there're just not many rare birds too hunt :thumbdown:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The 1680 has always been one of my favorite watches, so it's nice to have one back in the watch box ^_^

As for cost to build something like this- I think I have somewhere around the neighborhood of $800.00 into it, with the bulk of the cost being the watch itself, and the genuine parts. I've got a few more mods planned for the near future which could push this one up a little more...

WOW!!!

Pardon my ignorance, but why does the crystal sit sooooo high above the bezel?

^_^ Because that's just how they are on the 1680's... :bleh:

Genuine 1680

110157-24120.jpg

Seriously, I suspect the thicker crystal is to achieve more resistance from deeper underwater depths. The height of the crystal- The portion that rises up above the bezel is solid acrylic. Pretty serious stuff...

^_^ Because that's just how they are on the 1680's... :bleh:

Genuine 1680

110177-24119.jpg

Seriously, I suspect the thicker crystal is to achieve more resistance from deeper underwater depths. The height of the crystal- The portion that rises up above the bezel is solid acrylic. Pretty serious stuff...

When you wear it, do you find that you "bang" it against things more so than a watch with a "thinner" crystal?

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The 1680 has always been one of my favorite watches, so it's nice to have one back in the watch box ^_^

As for cost to build something like this- I think I have somewhere around the neighborhood of $800.00 into it, with the bulk of the cost being the watch itself, and the genuine parts. I've got a few more mods planned for the near future which could push this one up a little more...

er $800 for a copy?