When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Post your sunglasses.

jfreeman420

Got a new pair of sunglasses Friday. Fred Bora Bora limited edition. Matte black rubberized frame with brushed aluminum accents. Added polarized prescription lenses. I have always been a fan of high end sunglasses and eyeglasses. We spend a lot of money on watches, eyewear is just as important. Post your favorite shades here.

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

I wear Mont Blanc sunglasses, but I've been thinking of selling them because they don't fit me correctly. The seller said "one size fits all" but I think he meant "one size fits all mike duffy"...

dsc09004z.jpg

Incidentally, does anyone know how to macgyver a pair of sunglasses that are too big so they don't slide off your nose every ten seconds?

Incidentally, does anyone know how to macgyver a pair of sunglasses that are too big so they don't slide off your nose every ten seconds?

Might be hard to do with drill mounts but the easiest way to tighten or loosen glasses is the nose bridge. Bending the nose bridge inwards will bring the temples tighter, but be careful there is only so much play and it is easy to crack a lense on a drill mount.

Best bet is to have them fitted properly by an optician. My optician in LA fitted my most recent pair of glasses (it was the first time I had glasses properly fitted) and they fit perfectly. They bend the arms, shape the hook pieces on the part that goes behind your ear as well as adjust the nose bridges. Makes all the difference in the world. And yes, they can even shape and fit plastic frames. They have a great little device that heats up the plastic so they can bend it to the correct shape. I would give that a go before you sell them off. They are sweet looking shades!

There's only one for me, 95% of the time I reach for Julbo Drus or Sherpa. They block 100% UVB and the plastic frames on the Sherpa don't frostbite your temples where they squeeze your face. Great fit, great performance and cheap enough to smash them in a backpack and not be crushed by the replacement price.

zoomed.jpg

My long-time standbys have been my Oakley Juliets, which have gone with me around the world:

728899286_xAds8-X3.jpg

Part of a larger collection (including a couple of Ray-Bans, for when I want a more timeless look). Not shown are the glasses I'm presently wearing, which are a converted pair of Why3s:

728899277_QFyUW-X3.jpg

As you can tell from the styles, I haven't bought a new pair in years. All my spare cash goes to watches now!

My long-time standbys have been my Oakley Juliets, which have gone with me around the world:

728899286_xAds8-X3.jpg

Part of a larger collection (including a couple of Ray-Bans, for when I want a more timeless look). Not shown are the glasses I'm presently wearing, which are a converted pair of Why3s:

728899277_QFyUW-X3.jpg

As you can tell from the styles, I haven't bought a new pair in years. All my spare cash goes to watches now!

Love them Juliets!

And the first pair on the left, Mars Michael Jordan edition right?

Love them Juliets!

Thanks! I love the heft of the X-Metal frames, and the VR28s are probably the most versatile lens Oakley makes.

And the first pair on the left, Mars Michael Jordan edition right?

Yep, and the suede's still in excellent condition. The Mars on the right is actually a lot rarer. The 'Emerald' lenses are factory-installed, not aftermarket. Back then, Oakley Irvine would produce tiny batches of special models that you'd never find in any catalog. I still regret not bidding on a pair of black leather Mars when I had the chance.

Thanks! I love the heft of the X-Metal frames, and the VR28s are probably the most versatile lens Oakley makes.

Yep, and the suede's still in excellent condition. The Mars on the right is actually a lot rarer. The 'Emerald' lenses are factory-installed, not aftermarket. Back then, Oakley Irvine would produce tiny batches of special models that you'd never find in any catalog. I still regret not bidding on a pair of black leather Mars when I had the chance.

Just beautiful, im surprised u managed to keep them in this excellent shape, looks like ur a huge Oakley fan 8)

A nice collection u got there, i gotta get me one them Juleits one day, looks cool as f*ck!

Wear them well my friend :good:

Too many to show all but here are my current favs (sorry for the borrowed pictures)

These get the most use these days...

44f4833d949fd.jpg?1172802746

Oakley Square Wire

These when it's time for some sports...

422127999e3fa.jpg

Oakley Zero

When the system has me down....

agentsmith.jpg

Blinde Optics Agent

When I'm feeling a little retro...

3e1db755d529579af5155b21ee4b160a.png?from=0x0&resize_to=529x390&size=2400x1400

Ray Ban Aviator

:Cheers:

I know Kenberg had some a while back that were UV protected. The problem with rep shades is the lenses aren't always good quality and you don't want to play around with your vision. I have been told by several eye doctors to only wear polarized glasses.

Agreed. All the manufacturer sites will tell you to avoid reps since they're not UV-protected and will end up frying your eyeballs. I really don't know how often that's true, but I do know that the distortion you get in most rep lenses is pretty terrible on shades with complex geometries. Buy the rep for the frames, if you must, but don't cheap out on the lenses.

As for the 90s coming back, I'm gonna keep rocking forever... forever... forever... for...ever.

What else would I wear, I live on Maui B) where you can walk into the Maui Jim headquarters and get them fixed for free for life. These are my three pairs and are all UV polarized lens.

Kaanapali Titaniums: LRG501-02.png

Kapalua Titaniums: LRG502-02.png

Makaha Readers: LRG805-02.png

I have a pair of Juliets which I had since the first X-Men film was released, and are still in pretty good condition, although they could do with tightening, and a new set of lenses as there's a few scratches on these... Most of the time, I wear anything which will wrap around, which I can get cheaply as I don't have the cash to get the Juliets tidied up. They've definitely been my best value for money out of sunglasses. A pair of RayBan Predators I had fell apart in less than six months :black_eye:

Almost all of my Oakleys are in good shape, since I store all of them in ballistic nylon cases. (I have several aluminum Oakley Vaults, and they're not nearly as good--a few of them are very poorly designed.) Much as I love them, Oakley lenses are scratch magnets and demand a lot of care from the owner. The early plastic frames are also notoriously brittle. I went through five separate frames just through normal wear and tear. Good thing their warranty was very generous at the time; I didn't pay a thing for their replacements.