When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2009 Hawaiian 'Membrane' of the Year

cornerstone

Never had the privelege to meet him.. he has been in Hawaii on occasion..

the one Movie dude that I did have the pleasure of meeting and training with was Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, he is also a 5th or 6th degree Shodukan Sensei.. he has a lot of celebs that train under him in LA.. but has a home on Maui.. he makes you laugh coming into the gym with his Geta Japanese shoes..

shangtsung23.png

A pic of the shoes Cary used to come into the gym with.. clip clopping along.. the guy is a real comedian :lol:.. we always had a good laugh before starting

254b102.jpg

He's one of the truly humble guys.. actually was raised in Oklahoma .. Mom from Japan..

I remember reading that he was from the islands, and that his father, Al Dacascos was a well known Sifu, so I just wondered if you might have ever crossed paths :) Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa on the other hand, I did not know had the Hawaii connection, but definitely an actor who's work I have enjoyed over the years, so thanks for sharing :):good:

I remember reading that he was from the islands, and that his father, Al Dacascos was a well known Sifu, so I just wondered if you might have ever crossed paths :) Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa on the other hand, I did not know had the Hawaii connection, but definitely an actor who's work I have enjoyed over the years, so thanks for sharing :):good:

This was my school TJ >Here

My "teacher".. because he did not think he should be honoured with the name "Sifu",.. teacher is pictured with his Sifu (the older of the 2) who came to Hawaii and brought Arthur Lee with him as a young boy, Mr. Lee's Sifu was from the Shaolin Monastery, the younger Man. is Mr. Lee' Son .. Harland.. when Harland was very young I gave him one of my surf boards, and he grew to be a very accomplished surfer.. We were never allowed to spar or enter contest with other schools..

Mr. Lee was ostracized by a lot of the Chinese Societies because he believed that the art should be made available to all that sought help in learning to master one's body.. so there was a huge split in what is referred to as "society" or school..and Mr. Lee's vision was to have every ethnic race as one ..joining in the Lion Dance in parade with the other exclusively.. Chinese Societies.

That vision became a reality, and rocked the basis for opening elite schools to all in Hawaii.

Later he entered his elite students in combat .. his Son Harland fought one of the All Stars from China.. as he was the National Champ from the USA.. Harland lost but the bond now with Societies from all over the World and the Gee Yung School is very strong.. they host martial artist for all over the World for the Lion Dance competition.. the lion dance incorporates all the Kung Fu movements and "dances" or "Sets" . The Siu Lum Fat Ga style of combat is defensive and get's confusing when it's sole purpose is offensive..so if you answered the question of why you wanted to train with "I want to learn how to fight".. you would be rejected as a pupil..

A lot has changed over the years, now there is a web site.. and ads for the school, where as back in the day it was a more or less unadvertised.. 30 to 60 minutes in the full horse "Ma".. will humble anyone that thinks their in shape ... :lol:

I have yet to have the honour of sitting down with Omni.. I have spoken to him on the phone.. I look forward to us meeting.. I can only imagine the wisdom to be had from the Omni... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This was my school TJ >Here

My "teacher".. because he did not think he should be honoured with the name "Sifu",.. teacher is pictured with his Sifu (the older of the 2) who came to Hawaii and brought Arthur Lee with him as a young boy, Mr. Lee's Sifu was from the Shaolin Monastery, the younger Man. is Mr. Lee' Son .. Harland.. when Harland was very young I gave him one of my surf boards, and he grew to be a very accomplished surfer.. We were never allowed to spar or enter contest with other schools..

Mr. Lee was ostracized by a lot of the Chinese Societies because he believed that the art should be made available to all that sought help in learning to master one's body.. so there was a huge split in what is referred to as "society" or school..and Mr. Lee's vision was to have every ethnic race as one ..joining in the Lion Dance in parade with the other exclusively.. Chinese Societies.

That vision became a reality, and rocked the basis for opening elite schools to all in Hawaii.

Later he entered his elite students in combat .. his Son Harland fought one of the All Stars from China.. as he was the National Champ from the USA.. Harland lost but the bond now with Societies from all over the World and the Gee Yung School is very strong.. they host martial artist for all over the World for the Lion Dance competition.. the lion dance incorporates all the Kung Fu movements and "dances" or "Sets" . The Siu Lum Fat Ga style of combat is defensive and get's confusing when it's sole purpose is offensive..so if you answered the question of why you wanted to train with "I want to learn how to fight".. you would be rejected as a pupil..

A lot has changed over the years, now there is a web site.. and ads for the school, where as back in the day it was a more or less unadvertised.. 30 to 60 minutes in the full horse "Ma".. will humble anyone that thinks their in shape ... :lol:

I have yet to have the honour of sitting down with Omni.. I have spoken to him on the phone.. I look forward to us meeting.. I can only imagine the wisdom to be had from the Omni... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's quite a story, and a fantastic example of how people can come together regardless of ethnic/racial societies :good: That's always inspiring to hear about :)

Lani gets my vote, hands down. He truly puts over the top effort in keeping the place alive. What an asset to have him for this forum. However, I can still bench 150, despite the martinis you young whippersnappers!

"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is." ............Kurt Vonnegut.