When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do YOU do when.............

OSRep

you want to go into an AD, but you've got your rep on your wrist.......

Right, hi everyone! Ive tried to do a search to see if theres a topic similar to do this (but im either blind, im too stupid to use the search or the topic doesnt exist - im hoping the latter) :whistling:

So this is what made me post this topic;

I was at my local shopping "mall" / centre yesterday - and when im out I always have to go into every watch store I pass. The difference is this time I had my Slevin on. Now I passed one AD (who stocks extremely high end watches), and I have NEVER tried a R***x on, so when I saw the Subs and GMTIIC in the window my heart leapt. Now its only because I have a rep Sub on order that I really wanted to see what it looked like in person, how it felt and looked on the wrist.

So, I stepped in.....warily......and I just had this overwhelming lack of confidence in my Slevin and kept thinking "I hope noones looking at my watch"...... :bangin: But anyway, the asst. manager saw me looking at the rollies and came rushing over and I thought "S**t" (excuse my french) - no time for evasive manoeuvers. So I told him i'd like to look at the subs (V serial and an LV) - he also showed me the blue ceramic / white gold sub (which is GORGEOUS) and a GMTIIC.

Luckily he didnt ask what I was wearing (which they normally ask)......so when he went to get the watches I quickly took my Slevin off and put it in my coat pocket........ :unsure:

Ofcourse, I know that going into AD's with reps is a BIG NO NO, so I just wanted to know what the majority of you guys here do when wanting going to an AD (IF you go into an AD with your rep)? How confident are you with your watch?

Thanks, have a brill weekend.

OS

PS: Theres nothing like a gen Rollie - so so beautiful! :wub:

The general consensus here will be to TAKE IT OFF BEFORE entering.. but there's always those (like me for example) that have had experiences of wearing reps in ADs and end up getting treated like royalty.(it was a huge mistake of mine.. although it did turn out really well) On the other hand, there are those that have worn or seen people wear reps into ADs and get their reps taken. I think Bikemike saw a situation where the dealer laughed at the customer.. took the customer's watch and then threw it away into a box reserved for confiscating reps.. It all depends!

My experience can be read here: Treat me like a millionaire

I say wear your rep wherever you want. An AD will not take your rep and if one ever tried to take mine and throw it away he would be wearing my fist in his mouth. Everytime I've worn a rep to an AD they treat me great and never know or let on it's fake.

Only once did a [censored] say to my wife that her Cartier was a rep and we said yes and so what...we walked out and I never entered tha store again because that guy was such an ass. Here in the USA it's a free country and you can wear what you want.

I also wouldn't advise going to an AD all the time with a rep on...maybe once if it happens to be a day you have a rep on but if you plan on going to an AD I would wear a gen watch just so you avoid being called out...but I've never heard of them taking the rep as the rep police

A couple weeks ago I browsed into a jewellery shop. They do sell watches but mostly trade in jewellery and jewellery boxes etc. ("Bevilles" for any Aussies reading). I was looking for a watch box.

The pimply kid said "man, nice submariner, is it treating you well" (that's verbatim). I glanced at the gen speedy moon on my wrist, then back to the pimples, and said: "yep great thanks"...

Anti-reverso-switcheroo AD n00bfoolery.

:p

I say wear your rep wherever you want. An AD will not take your rep and if one ever tried to take mine and throw it away he would be wearing my fist in his mouth. Everytime I've worn a rep to an AD they treat me great and never know or let on it's fake.

Only once did a [censored] say to my wife that her Cartier was a rep and we said yes and so what...we walked out and I never entered tha store again because that guy was such an ass. Here in the USA it's a free country and you can wear what you want.

I also wouldn't advise going to an AD all the time with a rep on...maybe once if it happens to be a day you have a rep on but if you plan on going to an AD I would wear a gen watch just so you avoid being called out...but I've never heard of them taking the rep as the rep police

never happened to me either.. I can't imagine anyone taking your watch and rep or GEN alike.. I'm just telling you what Bikemike has witnessed. Apparently it happened in the states too! there was quite a discussion about it here: Wintessed an idiot bring a rep into an AD

I wore the SOSF in to a store spaced it out and wanted to look at picking up a colt or genuine SOSF. I was actually picking up a pen a the store next door the the watch dealer and when I went in I just took off the rep and waited till I got back out to put it back on.

On the other end of that question, I do remember reading on a gen forum some months back of a guy who went into an AD and the sales guy was wearing a rep. Whether this guy knew or not before hand I dont know but he did by the time the OP left.

As I recall it was a Breitling so I probably read it on BSF.

simply confident or not .. I take my rep off before entering.. even slipping it my pocket will do..

simply put I don't advertise what I wear into an AD.. for obvious reasons.. I like to keep a low key approach with the AD's.. you may fool them but my feeling is.. "what for?"..there is nothing to prove by this, other than either the salesperson doesn't know his/her watches or they are not overly concerned.

for me I just feel more comfortable without a rep on my wrist when I enter an AD.. ole skool mind set of our Cardinal Rule..

AC/Lani

I always try to pocket my watch before entering an AD. I did forget once when I was wearing my Franken Tudor Sub. The sales rep asked me if it was a rolex, and my fiancee, god bless her, with child like defiance, announced "NO! It's a Tudor!" He shrugged, obviously having no idea what a Tudor was and proceeded to show me a Breitling Aerospace. When I asked him how I changed functions, he had no idea and had to ask another sales rep. Never did get a solid explanation on how to change modes on that thing!

Personally I simply leave it on...

I don't discuss what I'm wearing with a sales rep...

Not the reason I'm there...

If someone makes a comment or a compliment I simply say thank you...

Our rule regarding AD's has to do with walking into an AD and showing off your Rep...

Bad exposure for our li'l hobby...

When and if a sales rep ever notices that I have a Rep on [which is likely not to happen], I can almost guarantee that he'll be a collector [of Reps]...

John Doe salesman couldn't spot a Rep if you paid him...

justmy2centsforwhatitsworth

Double T

I'll get into an AD Shop if I'm wearing what they're not selling! So....Rolex AD...I have AP or PAM or Breitling....... :victory:

On the other hand, Torneau AD.....best bet is AP...they don't carry it!~

Lani

I reckon with the money you spend on those pearly whites of yours you only have to smile and they know your an affluent guy!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Not true.. here dental insurance is so expensive your better off paying outta pocket with the money you save on insurance payments.. need those fangs ta eat.. :lol:

I usually wear my Omega Seamaster Chrono genuine to an AD but when caught off guard, I usually don't have a problem. One time, I wore my Breitling Bently, one of the first super-reps a few years ago, into an AD looking for a genuine strap for it. I'll never forget the look on the face of the salesperson when he took the watch from me. Something wasn't right...he knew that (datewheel font, color of the subdials) but not enough to scream replica. My guess is it seemed too real to be a knock off so he chalked it up to variation in manufature.

I usaually take mine off before I enter the AD.

Once I forgott and the sales person noticed it, and wanted to have a look (I had my 3717 V3 without any other mods).

He told me that IWC is a great brand and said that this was a real fine watch.

Ended up talking about Breitlings for a while... real nice guy.

Man, just yesterday I was in this position. I went into a dealer looking for a first watch for my little God daughters (trying to start the passion early in life)first day of school. I had my new Breit Navi on and couldn't help but stop to look at the Tag's and the Longines that I have on the way... The saleswoman was falling over herself to assist me. "looking to buy yourself another watch sir...". To be honest I didn't even think about having a rep on -as I normally think it's the little obsession in my head that others are unaware of :rolleyes:

Afterwards I thought it was probably a little silly to have had it on. But then had I thought about it, I don't know what I would have done. I don't think I would have taken it off? Not ashamed of having a rep on. Perhaps if I was being an arrogant ass, then I might think differently, but hey, I love the watch I had on and gen, or rep, I'm proud of it!

As far as confiscating it goes, they have no authority to do this whatsoever, other than under "common law". But I would like to see some AD try to take one of my watches off my wrist :boxing:

Good thread!

mg

The general consensus here will be to TAKE IT OFF BEFORE entering..

wow, thanks for the replies guys! Great response......and it seems plaifender you are correct - most of us would / do take off their rep before entering the AD which I guess is the right thing to do. The AD I visited didnt stock IWC's so I did contemplate just keeping my watch on...however you just dont know how knowledgable the sales person is. Im not sure what the rules are re reps here in the UK, I dont know whether they confiscate reps here....but im sure its frowned upon!

Its a fickle business this rep game - I have so many questions running through my head :g: So why do we wear reps (given that we have to wear them "undercover")? Is it because we cant afford gens? Is it because you love watches, they are affordable and you can have more than one? Does it give you a feeling of higher status? I mean, the Slevin is my first rep - and im impressed - so why shouldnt I be able to show it off right?

Thanks guys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

/ OS

wow, thanks for the replies guys! Great response......and it seems plaifender you are correct - most of us would / do take off their rep before entering the AD which I guess is the right thing to do. The AD I visited didnt stock IWC's so I did contemplate just keeping my watch on...however you just dont know how knowledgable the sales person is. Im not sure what the rules are re reps here in the UK, I dont know whether they confiscate reps here....but im sure its frowned upon!

Its a fickle business this rep game - I have so many questions running through my head :g: So why do we wear reps (given that we have to wear them "undercover")? Is it because we cant afford gens? Is it because you love watches, they are affordable and you can have more than one? Does it give you a feeling of higher status? I mean, the Slevin is my first rep - and im impressed - so why shouldnt I be able to show it off right?

Thanks guys. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

/ OS

we're just a bunch of vein a-holes that can't afford good watches, and instead try to pull off looking like we can by buying reps... what can we say?

I was being facetius.. but this topic has been discussed many times over on the forum.. and across the board there are varied responses. Again, in general, I would say that most of us came to the board without much more than trying to figure out how NOT to get ripped off.. Little by little.. we fall in love with the hobby and many of us begin to appreciate the art of it all..

Another good approach if you have an absent minded moment, and need an out, is to fake taking a phone call. Act like your cell phone is vibrating, say you need to take this, and step away/out. Or if your rep is "super" enough, just act the part...

I reckon you're onto there OS. I love the rep world because it amazes me what can be done undercover in a chinese factory, just how accurate they can be. I also just love these little beauties and I couldnever afford to have all the watches I have and will aquire if they were all gens. It's funny, that my favourite watch is my rep Navi (just new). I was more excited finding it, getting it, looking at it when I first wake up/when I'm at work/when I'm driving than any other watch I own, including any of my gens. I think it's the whole experience that is fascinating. Much more so that just walking into a shop and handing over the $$. or mine anyway

i take them off, when i go in. i mean i realy dont think when a gentlemen comes in a ad wearing a rep with interest in buying or so that he would expose him in wearing reps, when he can notice that btw.

but for me its in the 1. way the natural way of respect that i show them when i lay it down at a ad, i mean a bk9 lex for example its a great watch, and a noob never ever will spot that out, but dont provokate that ;)

the 2. is that its a neutral ground of talking, without any brand on your wrist ;) and maybe you can get a better price or maybe not , i dont know :D but i was thinking this.

and the 3. DONT GO TO A AD WITH YOUR REP ON THE WRIST :bleh:

so OS please take it off the next time, and you can enjoy it more at the ad, drinking a esspresso or something there, watchin talking trying on...without thinking about your rep on the wrist, and that hopefully nobody will spot that out, i mean with a super hyper franken watch, i would go in but not with a stock model even when its so good like yours, the thinking is in your head, and that makes you feel unconftable all the time, so put it in your pocket :) and enjoy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

denz

we're just a bunch of vein a-holes that can't afford good watches, and instead try to pull off looking like we can by buying reps... what can we say?

I was being facetius.. but this topic has been discussed many times over on the forum.. and across the board there are varied responses. Again, in general, I would say that most of us came to the board without much more than trying to figure out how NOT to get ripped off.. Little by little.. we fall in love with the hobby and many of us begin to appreciate the art of it all..

Hey PF, I doubt thats the case, as there are plenty of gens on the forums (and I have a few gens - and had some pretty high end gens too), so the rep world has some other mysterious allure......Apologies for visiting this topic again :bangin:

I reckon you're onto there OS. I love the rep world because it amazes me what can be done undercover in a chinese factory, just how accurate they can be. I also just love these little beauties and I couldnever afford to have all the watches I have and will aquire if they were all gens. It's funny, that my favourite watch is my rep Navi (just new). I was more excited finding it, getting it, looking at it when I first wake up/when I'm at work/when I'm driving than any other watch I own, including any of my gens. I think it's the whole experience that is fascinating. Much more so that just walking into a shop and handing over the $$. or mine anyway

Yeah I agree mr mg. It is amazing the accuracy of reps now adays.....and im sure they will just keep getting better. I guess finance is the major factor here.....as in, you could probably afford to buy ONE gen.....but then there are always more watches that call your name - so I guess the rep world gives you a freedom of choice - and saves you a few pennies in the process. Congrats on your Navi......haha Im always looking at my watches too...... :bangin:

the 2. is that its a neutral ground of talking, without any brand on your wrist ;) and maybe you can get a better price or maybe not , i dont know :D but i was thinking this.

so OS please take it off the next time. I would go in but not with a stock model even when its so good like yours, the thinking is in your head, and that makes you feel unconftable all the time, so put it in your pocket :) and enjoy :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i mean with a super hyper franken watch,

denz

I like the idea of neutral grounds for talking...... :thumbsupsmileyanim: Hahaha "SIR YES SIR" - it was my first AD / rep experience (and im definitely NOT a stupid guy).....so I know how to play my cards. I respect the rep industry and would never be in a position to jeapordise it..... :brow: Even if they tied me up and tortured me for info hehe.

wow - a super hyper franken? Whos got one of those? :D

Thanks bro.

I very seldom visit AD's as I live in a rural area and most AD's here are for Casio and Timex! A Seiko is a high end watch around here. When I do go into one, I'm usually following my wife around who never met a jewelry store she didn't like! I probably would drop my rep in my pocket if I were going to ask to try on a genuine, otherwise, i would just leave it on and not flash it around. In my experiences over the years, most of the sales people, especially in stores that are selling watchs and jewelry, crystal, etc., are not at all up to speed on what they are selling. You probably know far more about the GMTIIC in the display case than the sales person does. And should you possibly encounter that rare bird who is something of a watch expert, even if he suspects you are wearing a rep he can't be really sure, especially if it a well modded one.He knows that calling you out will destroy his chances of ever selling you a watch. Good sales people are always going to put the potential sale first. If you came in with a Big Ben alarm clock strapped to your wrist with a piece of twine, the good salesman is going to say "Very nice clock sir, could I possibly sell you a proper strap for it"!

So, my feelings are if you are self conscious about your rep, or you know from experience the folks in a particular store are really watch experts, slip it off and put it in your pocket.

One place that I would NEVER wear a rep would be into one of the real specialty watch shops, especially those that buy and sell high end vintage watches. Several of those in every major city. Those folks are real experts, and I would bet that anyone who makes a living buying and selling vintage Rolex for instance can tell a replica DRSD or 1680 when you walk in the door.The sales person that can look at your DRSD dial and tell you its a MKIV, and the year it was manufactured, isn't going to be fooled by even the best rep.The nice thing about these shops is they are as passionate about watches as you are. If you go in and show some knowledge and are interested, most of these folks are a gold mine of information, plus you will see watches you only dreamed about, up close and personal.

you want to go into an AD, but you've got your rep on your wrist.......

Right, hi everyone! Ive tried to do a search to see if theres a topic similar to do this (but im either blind, im too stupid to use the search or the topic doesnt exist - im hoping the latter) :whistling:

So this is what made me post this topic;

I was at my local shopping "mall" / centre yesterday - and when im out I always have to go into every watch store I pass. The difference is this time I had my Slevin on. Now I passed one AD (who stocks extremely high end watches), and I have NEVER tried a R***x on, so when I saw the Subs and GMTIIC in the window my heart leapt. Now its only because I have a rep Sub on order that I really wanted to see what it looked like in person, how it felt and looked on the wrist.

So, I stepped in.....warily......and I just had this overwhelming lack of confidence in my Slevin and kept thinking "I hope noones looking at my watch"...... :bangin: But anyway, the asst. manager saw me looking at the rollies and came rushing over and I thought "S**t" (excuse my french) - no time for evasive manoeuvers. So I told him i'd like to look at the subs (V serial and an LV) - he also showed me the blue ceramic / white gold sub (which is GORGEOUS) and a GMTIIC.

Luckily he didnt ask what I was wearing (which they normally ask)......so when he went to get the watches I quickly took my Slevin off and put it in my coat pocket........ :unsure:

Ofcourse, I know that going into AD's with reps is a BIG NO NO, so I just wanted to know what the majority of you guys here do when wanting going to an AD (IF you go into an AD with your rep)? How confident are you with your watch?

Thanks, have a brill weekend.

OS

PS: Theres nothing like a gen Rollie - so so beautiful! :wub:

I do exactly as you did before I go In, If I know that i might go In before I leave the car I put It In the glove compartment and lock it. Good job :good: Mike