When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watches I just don't 'get'

Member X

This thread has made me LOL in places, mostly at the general amusement at just how OTT the Grahams are - I think most people are in agreement on them! :D

Could not stand Rolex watches because I thought only sleezeballs wore them... But I have to say I have become a totel Rolex NUT after all the research and reading on this our beloved forum...

This is exactly the way I thought and now think :)

UNs have become increasingly attractive since Lani (I think?) posted the info about the quality in them (gen and rep), and aesthetically they're different but tasteful, which is a good thing. The Corum Admiral's Cup are nice IMO but I agree that the Bubble looks like something you'd buy at a market stall!

Panerai... I think I agree with most that I don't understand the desire/need to own all the variations. I also don't understand why people pay $5k+ for a handwind model - wtf? Yes, well made and comprehensively tested, but if I had built one from the parts we can get and then spent the remaining $4800 in testing, improving and making it fully waterproof, I'd hope for something that was bombproof, waterproof to the centre of the earth and was lumed like the sun!!

I have to ask myself at times if it's the marketing with the genuine brand that gives the watch such appeal?? the fashions of the celebrities ??.. the prices that vintage collectors pay for Rolex and Panerai'... all this makes it more intriguing and more on a need to have basis..

Realistically one would have to bear the mystique of the hobby to be so enthralled with all the different watches..

may be it's the age old saying.. "Man wants what he cannot have".. so the ridiculous prices of the AP's and HBB's and Panerai's draw us to hunt for the perfect one , in part it's the hunt and the copying of a watch that normally would be out of reach.

Give someone who doesn't care an ounce about watches a Vintage 1665 Double Red and see what they say.. chances are they will ask why would you want to wear such an old watch ?

And Man, as a creature of habit is always looking for something different and unique ..

My likes and tastes change from month to month.. with my collection.. my collecting has evolved from when I first started.. what appeals today may not tomorrow..

And then the final application... the watch as a symbol of success, power.. with the rep as well as the genuine..

this is man's quest as a hunter..

AC/L

My thoughts exactly, and I'm a pretty loyal Rolex guy.

I'll third that. DSSD is awful. Not quite as awful as some other new Rolex designs though... like YM II.

And you know how big of a Rolex guy *I* am.

I also agree about Panerai. Never understood the attraction, however I don't find them ugly at all... I don't dislike them. They simply don't do anything for me.

Gigantic 49mm watches like Super Avenger make me wonder. Good looking watch (in principle) but the outrageous size has ruined it.

Also as a fan of Rolex and SeaDwellers, I have to come out and say I don't like the DSSD for 2 reasons.

1.) I don't want anything 'visible' that says "Gas Escape Valve"! On the caseback is okay, but.... This is begging for fart jokes.

2.) A bit top heavy.

Any watch for a guy that has a diamond bezel or dial dry.gif

Same here. BCE is a good example. What a beautiful watch... but with diamond bezel: :yuk:

Rolex "Silver Serti" Sub ain't THAT horrible, though.

81_1.jpg

Hmmm. I think with the economic crisis in US and Europe Rolex focused on Asian markets, where the design demands are less classic and more towards gold and diamonds.

Here in Switzerland you don't really show off gold and bling, its considered posing. While when in Hong Kong last November it seemed to me everybody was quite proudly wearing their wealth and bling. Cultural differences I guess. So no wonder Rolex changes its design when focusing on Asia.

Interestingly the big APs and Hublot are quite known in Asia while here in Switzerland they're not too popular. People I know all favour IWC and Omega.

Kind regards

Val.

hello guys.

i personaly dont like the grahams, they simpy too much for me :whistling: but as writen before under the aspect of funktionality this watch is maybe perfect for one or another person :good: but not for me cause i only need a watch to wear and not for work or something, so :pardon:

the second watches are the diamond watches or two much gold bling blings :D somethin, like the all gold rolexes for example...

but i have too say that i love these two

omega-jewelry-planet-ocean-chronometer-watch-co-axial-250x250.jpg

omega_seamaster_planet_ocean_co-axial_red_gold_collection.jpg

but i think because i love the po so much :whistling:

and to strike a blow for the pams... first of all i was realy not in these pams, but after wearing a 112 on a ad, i was in :) and after my first purchase the 111 even more, but i was not thinking that i will love them so much, didnt understandet the guys that have so many of them..but after a while of wearing an looking at the pams, i cant wait to get my second one, what will be very soon :1a: its the simplicity that makes it so interesting for me, and the CG makes it so dam strong, its the combination of two very different things, the gentle and easy design and the hard and strong cg that makes me lovin them so much, and even when my rep has so many flaws, i love it and will love it for a long long time :)

thanks for reading

denz :)

Here in Switzerland you don't really show off gold and bling, its considered posing. While when in Hong Kong last November it seemed to me everybody was quite proudly wearing their wealth and bling. Cultural differences I guess. So no wonder Rolex changes its design when focusing on Asia.

+1 here. I used to work in HiFi (Audio/Video) retail and it's the same way there. It's funny how things sell more or less in the different regions around the world. For instance when I was in retail, the Germans tended to want all the metal peices showing on a speaker or an amplifier to be silver, the scadinavians wanted them black and the asians wanted them gold. The Scandinavian model just would not sell on the asian market and so on...

Then it's the time and the different fashions that changes in cycles. My "mother in law" just changed their wallpaper last year that was long due to be changed. However, this year the exact style is back on the market. Even though it was 30 years since last time.

Then it's the fact that one matures. What you would focus on at the age 15 will most likely not be what you will focus on when you're 30. The understanding of lines and designs will be more advanced and most people will more easily see the complexity of a design as they get older. Or just lack of complexity, the simplicity of a design.

That's the beauty of having a hobby that evolves with time. What I hate today, I might love tomorrow;)

NORing

Panerai... I think I agree with most that I don't understand the desire/need to own all the variations. I also don't understand why people pay $5k+ for a handwind model - wtf? // I'd hope for something that was bombproof, waterproof to the centre of the earth and was lumed like the sun!!

My Casio was $50, 200m waterproof, loses 1 second a year, and has two LED lights AND lume. However, it just doesn't do it for me like a Pam!

B&R, I mean.. I like the concept. But it makes me think "Wow look! Its JUST like an aviation guage!"... To the point where it looks like it was yanked out of the cockpit and should have wires hanging out the back!

B&R, I mean.. I like the concept. But it makes me think "Wow look! Its JUST like an aviation guage!"... To the point where it looks like it was yanked out of the cockpit and should have wires hanging out the back!

And that, I would say, is the point ;):D lol

I love my homages, one day I'll have a gen! But I'm not paying