When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My PAM 212 project

z3k0

So, after long time in the making, I'm almost satisfied with this one. Like on most PAM reps, CG is biggest problem (for me at least), and on this one I'm not quite satisfied with it. I tried to refinish it, and polish the pin, but pin hole was already too wide on top, I couldn't really get results I wanted.

This one started with one of cartel "best" versions, that was sold some 1,5 years ago, and one of old-school versions that used to came with 21.600 movement, and incorrect dial. I managed to source modified swiss movement in the meantime, and had it serviced. Then I spent some time trying to source crystal, unfortunately sapphire for this one is next to impossible to source. Since I really hate "blue hue" AR, cartel version didn't really do it for me. And, I destroyed mine while trying to remove AR. Then I managed to source correct shape minerals, without any AR, and had them aftermarket coated - I actually got 5 of them, just to be sure :).

Hands are combination of hour and minute hands from cartel version and second and chrono hands from old-schoold version (direct fit to ETA 7750). Movement rotor is correctly engraved version from old-school version - cartel rotors have crappy engravings.

In the end I sent dial (taken from cartel version) and hands to master The Zigmeister for treatment, and voila - it's probably as good as it gets, unless sourcing some gen parts.

So this is how it turned out in the end:

IMG_0021.jpg

_MG_7199.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

_MG_7202.jpg

_MG_7360.jpg

The Zigmeister's magic:

_MG_7367.jpg

_MG_7191.jpg

regards

Great job on the 212!!!

I'll post pics of the Franken 212 I've been building. Old Cartel case, Swiss 7750, Gen Sapphire, Gen Dial, Gen hands, Gen bezel,Gen CG,Gen Rotor, and Gen Coramid strap with Gen deployment. The old case fits everything better than the newer case that I aquired, althought the caseback is more correct on the newer version. The Gen sapphire and Gen CG made the most difference in the watch.

Next I'm starting on a Franken 253 as I have aquired a Gen Blue Chrono hand. That is nowhere close to the color of blue on the reps. The gen blue really pops.

Special thanks to all the members who have helped me with aquiring these parts!!!!

Great job on the 212!!!

I'll post pics of the Franken 212 I've been building. Old Cartel case, Swiss 7750, Gen Sapphire, Gen Dial, Gen hands, Gen bezel,Gen CG,Gen Rotor, and Gen Coramid strap with Gen deployment. The old case fits everything better than the newer case that I aquired, althought the caseback is more correct on the newer version. The Gen sapphire and Gen CG made the most difference in the watch.

Next I'm starting on a Franken 253 as I have aquired a Gen Blue Chrono hand. That is nowhere close to the color of blue on the reps. The gen blue really pops.

Special thanks to all the members who have helped me with aquiring these parts!!!!

I can't wait to see that one!

Amazing piece Z3. It looks excellent, and I know what you mean about the crown guard.. the 253 and 212 both have suffered similar problems. Vac did a great job on the lume and paint job! Wear it with pride and joy.

Great job on the 212!!!

@BigE, I'm also undergooing a pam253 mini-project at the moment. (although not as cool as yours since you sourced gen 253 parts!) Getting my 253 lumed and my chrono neeedle custom painted but it's not GEN.. Honestly i thought i was the only one modding the needle on theirs, Looks like you were equally as disappointed with the off blue on our reps.. how the heck did you manage to source one anyways! I looked all around the net for those things and couldn't find nothin! We have some pretty amazing modders over here in spain as well, so consider me lucky. We'll see how both of our watches turn out

@ Z3ko,

I remember that I saw a post of Zigmeister fabricating a customized cg pin. You could consider sending him the CG if he is willing to do that kind of job again...

reg,

Hooky

Top notch!

What's the story on the crown?

Jim

Actually - no story :) It's rep crown, but I really have no idea where it came from, I've gone through few cases and watches in making of this one, from different sources - and I really can't remember where this crown came from ...

I keep coming back to this post. That watch is stunning. Zig, great work as usual -- you're right to take the credit for a job well done.

Yup, words can't describe it, his work on dial is pure art - and in addition, it glows like a torch :) That was my first gig with R&J and now I can't stop ...

regards

• 2 months later...