When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sellita Movements in reps - something pretty interesting going on...

chefcook

Hello everybody,

most of you've allready heard that the availability of ETA movements is more and more difficult. ETA decided to only deliver to customers within the Swatch group from afaik 2011 on and independant customers can't get more movements than in the year before since about 2008.

In succession of ETA's decision even "big ones" (for example Tudor!!) are now getting their movements from Sellita, a swiss movement manufacturer that produces very high quality copies of ETA movements with expired patents. Sellita's movments indeed are at least as good as ETAs. Up to date Sellita offers copies of the ETA 2824 (SW200), 2836 (SW220), 2834 (SW240), 2892 (SW300) and 7750 (SW500) and allready anounced that they plan to widen their range of classic ETAs.

And now look what movement is in the new Patek Aquanaut rep:

PP-2010-02-05-08-05.JPG

A Sellita SW200!!!

Same movment as in some gen Tudors :)

Isn't a 2893 just a 2892 with a GMT plate on it? If so, it's not a stretch.

I think so...it's just that I can't get a 2893-2 new from my suppliers here. They have them in their catalogues but can't source them. They can get 2892's...but no GMT varieties. So, even though this thing exists now in ETA form...they can't seem to be had outside of buying a Steinhart or Defaubre donor watch with one in it.

If somebody came up with something more solid than the cheap mod done on the 2836's like a Sellita copy...I would think it would make an awesome upgraded movement option!!

Yeah, I did think that was the case - although what's to stop a company buying the complete movements and disassembling them to return them to ebauches? lol :D

re: the B&R movements, I'm even less impressed with their pricing policy now... They either use ETA 28xx movements or the Sellilta, and as they're probably both about that price range in bluk, I have even less intention of shelling out

i just sold a B&R 02 rep here...it was bought thru perfect clones with a $50usd swiss movement upgrade...

it came with the SW200 movement...here's my sale thread:

Movement: Engraved Rotor, Decorated Swiss Sellita SW200 26j 28800bph*

• The Sellita SW200 is built to 2824-2 spec.

• Movement review/discussion: WUS SW200, eta 2824 discussion

• Movement manufacturer specs: Sellita website SW200 info

and pix of the movement...

br02946.jpg

br02947.jpg

br02948.jpg

br02949.jpg

R-

AFAIK Ocean 7 is using Sellita movements in their genuine watches. i believe this was done to make certain they had a good supply of movements in case ETA decided to cut off everyone except their own brands.

My Ocean 7 LM7 Ploprof has the Sellita eqivelent of the ETA 2824-2

Not the same. ETA only suppplies the movement blanks. Balance system, Escapment, gear trian is all Breilting in house components to bring the movement up to COSC specs. Same goes for Omega, Panerai, some Tag's etc. These companies need to make up their R&D for these components. Now B&R I don't get as they use bone stock ETA's and charge way too much. :thumbdown:

I also thought, ETA was going to continue to suppply movments outside the Swatch Group, but they had to be 100% complete and not ebauches.

I am sure that any of those name that are in the swatch group do not have a problem with R&D, I am also pretty sure that breitling don't make there own balance springs,

I am sure that any of those name that are in the swatch group do not have a problem with R&D, I am also pretty sure that breitling don't make there own balance springs,

Not just talking about the companies in the Swatch group as there are many more our there that use ETA movements at COSC spec. I agree, Breitling does not make their own balance springs as only a hand full of companies make their own. However most of the components that are attached to the ETA ebauches are built in-house by Breitling. This started back when Breilting was having Kelex finish & mod. their movements. Kelex is now part of Breitling and no longer exists. This infrastructure is what also allowed them to Develope the B01 in the manner they did. :drinks: