When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

David Wong Sub-Cases, does anybody know them?

Gorilladame

As many of you know there is a guy (David Wong) who is selling very special and very nice asymetric Daytona cases, which are of very high quality, if you believe the threads.

So now I found that he is also selling Sub cases like the 1680 case.

Does anyone know those cases? Are they fine?

For those who are interested in the long story:

I´m about to build a nice 1680, got a new 1680 MBW, gen springbars, nice bracelet , clark crystal, gen crown and tube and now I´m planning to order a Yuki dial which will not fit in the new MBW case :yuk: , so I´m thinking of getting another case...

Options are right now: Yuki case (very expensive for a low level franken), an old MBW case from ETZ (I guess the Yuki dial will fit there) or a case from DW... but in the end I´m open to every hint.

I don´t know if this is a nice thing to do but here are some pics from the case of an ebay action:

Bildschirmfoto2010-02-09um085538.png

Bildschirmfoto2010-02-09um085430.png

Bildschirmfoto2010-02-09um085529.png

Edited by Gorilladame

The pictures were sent by DW himself. I've never handled these cases up close. Even if I did, I don't know enough about vintage Subs to give you the pros and cons.

The best way of reaching DW is through the "Ask the Seller" link on his eBay listings. (It's often faster than emailing him directly!) He told me he would have "many other watches" for sale in April. After Chinese New Year, expect the Rolex 6238 to be ready.

yeah mailed him throu ebay today, but only got a short answer, I tought he might be active on other forums with offers.

a running auction is: 330398977594

if you get any news from him please keep me informed....

thank you ubiquitous

Edited by Gorilladame

Thanks for the pics LHOOQ.

The red sub dial looks ok to me- esp. the dial print and Submariner being the correct size. I prefer the whiter hour markers, but that's just a preference. I wonder if these have Rolex dial feet or eta dial feet?

Dw is easy to find on the bay- A search for 'valjoux 7750' usually turns up his stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIY-CASE-SET-FOR-VALJOUX-7750_W0QQitemZ330397532224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ced3a4040

That pearl on that 1680 bezel insert sure needs to go in the trash!

Gorilladame, I don't want to misrepresent myself as some kind of insider. I just happened to exchange a lot of emails with DW in the last month. After a while, you end up talking about more than, "Where's my Daytona dial?"!

The only other information I know at this point is that the April batch will include a 1655 (see below). I was looking into getting a 1016 case but, like the Yuki cases, DW's would only take a genuine movement. (Any way around that?) No pics of the 1016 available, unfortunately.

784542279_XH3Zn-X3.jpg

Would love to hear feedback on the Explorer II, since it's a watch I'm starting to really like, but have a lot to learn about.

i bought the 5513 case set about 4 months ago.. the case back was wrong (too thick) and there were some other issues I cannot remember. I asked for a refund and he did refund to me after 2 weeks.

very good business man

PS: the 5513 case-set will fit the gen dial

yes the pearl is damn ugly :yuk:

but the hole on the other pics is crying for a Yuki pearl ;-)

Ha ha ha just got a cheap but nice vintage explorer II from Josh yesterday, just because I fall in love with the look, but wasn´t willed to spend a lot of money on it...

Edited by Gorilladame

I believe that if you are going to invest a lot of money in genuine parts, i would opt for the yuki case. Everything genuine will fit and you will end up with a really nice "Super franken" Otherwise i would go with MBW and fit in as many genuine parts as possible. As was stated in another thread, the MBW 1680 white dial is really ,really close to the real thing. It just depends on whether you want to spend several thousand for a yuki cased "Genuine except for case" watch or maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of that for a very acceptable 1680.the most expensive parts will be movement, dial/hands which you will save if you go the MBW route. Plus you can purchase an MBW complete for several hundred less than a yuki case alone. Drop in a slow beat 2846, genuine crown/tube,bezel, bezel insert, drill the lug holes for genuine springbars,genuine 580 end links, genuine 93150 bracelet or genuine 93150 clasp on your MBW bracelet, mod the case guards, The Zigmeister service and relume with vintage tritium and you have a really nice 1680 for a ton less than the other option.,

• 4 weeks later...