When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Considering Buying a BK YM vs Omega Seamaster

collector

I know this may be a superbly dumb question to many of you but since it has a direct effect on my wallet here it goes!

I am considering buyimg a everyday work watch and obviously I like Rolex thats why I spend a lot of time reading the Rolex postings, I have come to desire a BK YM, I have about $1500.00 American hard earned dollars to buy a watch and I am heavily debating between a used Omega Seamaster and as I have mentioned the WM9 YM, i have heard many a PRAISE" of the YM and its build quality, the question is which one should I buy? one is a replica the other a genuine, All though I have been a RWG member since 07 I am a novice in the watch arena, i will happily accept any thoughts on this issue and criticism too!

Thanks

J.

Guest jsuperman17

i have both..i have both.. whats good about the ym it is an eye appealing watch... its the best out of the box

replica you will get!!! in terms of the seamaster.. its more simple and elegant... nothing beats a

seamaster! if i were you... id wait for ym on the sale section... can be had for about 500 dollars..

take the 1000 and save up for a better gen that is not replicated well... my rule of thumb is that when

buying gens.. make sure its a chronograph or one thats not replicated well.. thats just my opinion...

Very sound advice jsuperman, sounds good, is the engine on the YM reliable?

The WM9 YM uses a genuine swiss engine. It's as reliable as any swiss gen out there. Which is to say that it requires service every 5 years, and should possibly be serviced as soon as you get it unless the movement is a true ETA "blister pak" pre-seviced movement direct from ETA or it's distributors.

There are different qualities of genuine ETA movements in our replicas. Rarely, you get a brand new, in package, oiled and tested ETA movement. Mostly you get a bulk-purchased ETA movement in a little plastic clamshell case which probably needs a service, and lastly you rarely get a repaired ETA movement which could be decades old, from a used watch.

If you care about the rep watch you buy, and intend to keep it for years, wear it for a month so that you get some wrist time, and then send it off to a reputable service place and have it cleaned, oiled, and regulated!

If you are a collector who appreciates the watch movements, then I'd say gen Seamaster is the way to go. I assuming you were referring to gen Seamaster Professional 300m. I don't think any ETA 2824 movement is better than Omega's own modified one.

Have you had any Rolex reps? One thing a person has to get use to with Rolex is the magnifier on the crystal. It's one of those things you either like or hate. The other thing about Rolex YM is that its bezel rotate bidirectional. If you are the person likes the bezel to be centered (the arrow pointing to 12 o'clock) all the time, then you may find yourself constantly trying to adjust the bezel. Whereas with Omega, you won't have this issue.

Omega has better watch resistance than BK YM. BK YM is about 4atm WR rating.

On the other hand, gen Omega cost more. You can get one used for about $1000 vs $600 tops for a nice used BK YM. The dial of the BK YM looks awesome and the lume is about as bright as Omega in the dark.

For some reason, I really think that it's quite possible when you buy either Omega or BK YM, you won't stop thinking about the other one, so for $1600, you may end up with both of them at the end. I recommend getting a BK YM first because there are less $$ involved and you might save $1000 if you find yourself liking it a lot.

IMO.. you'll get a far better quality with any BK WM9's .. that's not to say that you cannot mod any watch to better quality standards..

the YM.. you have to decide on the model itself.. BK does modding on the WM's so you will be buying a fully modded rep ..

remembering even the genuine is not perfect in regards to the SEL's etc. ..

which one will serve your purpose better ??.. that is the question you have to ask if you are deciding on 2 watches with very differing personalities..

just ma .02

AC/Lani

I have a gen SMP and have owned a BK WM9 YM. Get the Seamaster. The YM is an outstanding rep - one of if not the best out there - but still a rep. The Seamaster feels far superior in every way, IMO. Not sure what the poster above me is seeing, but there is really no comparison.

Edited by notlaw

For some reason, I really think that it's quite possible when you buy either Omega or BK YM, you won't stop thinking about the other one, so for $1600, you may end up with both of them at the end. I recommend getting a BK YM first because there are less $$ involved and you might save $1000 if you find yourself liking it a lot.

It see,s like I will end up with Both watches as I like both of them, I think $1600 is a great price for 2 watches

If you are looking for a gen Seamaster, you are closer to $1000 than $1500. $1500 should get you in the game for a Planet Ocean. As far as the rep vs. gen argument, if you can afford it, I would go with a gen every time. As nice as Bk's YM is, you are still getting a rep with an unserviced ETA movement that not many watchmakers will want to mess with (not to mention potential parts availability problems), a case and bracelet of unknown quality steel, a bezel that in my experience, is way too loose and a date wheel overlay that even if aligned correctly (I have see seen and handled more than one BK YM that was not) can move over time. You just won't have these issues with a gen Omega.

Just my $0.02 ...

I'd go for the Seamaster gen too.

The Seamaster isn't repped very well, and it is an iconic watch. it really is one of those watches you must have in your collection even if you're slightly interested in it. It can be worn with practically anything and is so comfortable. If you want both, you could always get the Quartz SMP (2541) and the rep YM from BK.

At the end of the day, the Semaster is genuine, the YM never will be, and the Seamaster is one of those 'must haves' in my opinion. If you're going to treat yourself, treat yourself to the real thing, it'll mean more :)

IMO.. you'll get a far better quality with any BK WM9's .. that's not to say that you cannot mod any watch to better quality standards..

the YM.. you have to decide on the model itself.. BK does modding on the WM's so you will be buying a fully modded rep ..

remembering even the genuine is not perfect in regards to the SEL's etc. ..

which one will serve your purpose better ??.. that is the question you have to ask if you are deciding on 2 watches with very differing personalities..

just ma .02

AC/Lani

+1

The Yacht Master will 'dress down' easier than the Seamaster can 'dress up'...

There is an excellent review comparing the Seamaster to a Submariner here. I know, the Submariner and Yacht Master are two different kettles of fish, but in a comparison I did a while back, I scored both Rolexes equally. The easiest thing I could say, is if you want smart, go with the Yacht Master, if you want functional/casual, go with the Seamaster.

Personally, I'd be as inclined to buy a rep of the Seamaster rather than the genuine, but that's just me...

Best of luck with your decision and purchase :good:

[Edit to add]

Must learn to read to the end of a thread before hitting 'reply' :bangin:

For some reason, I was thinking of the black Seamaster, not the blue one :whistling: