When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold vs Nickle plated ETA movement

woody99

Some dealers charge more for the nickel, doesn't mean it is better. There have been people in the past who said that the nickel ones were gen new ETA and the gold ones typically are rebuilt. But who am I to say. I just find it interesting that one dealer would charge the same for nickel and gold once they can't source nickel any more and then another dealer comes up and says they have nickel and charges $40 on top of what it would cost for a regular gold movement, when this is a piece you rarely ever take a look at unless you have something like a clear caseback omega seamaster aquaterra of course.

It is my understanding, and I don't remember where I read it, that the nickel plating is considered a water resistant movement. I think I might have seen that in one of my movement catalogs. As for the gold color, isn't that just brass as that is what these movements are made of?

It is my understanding, and I don't remember where I read it, that the nickel plating is considered a water resistant movement. I think I might have seen that in one of my movement catalogs. As for the gold color, isn't that just brass as that is what these movements are made of?

Now that certainly is a slant I have never heard of before, movements aren't and can't be water resistant, the actual watch case is (or isn't) waterproof.

All movements are stamped brass, the silver ones are Nickel plated, the gold ones, are Gold plated.

If you find that in a catalogue, I would love to see it.

I don't know the difference, but I have beautiful nickle plated ETA in my Omega Aquatimer (the old school one that Pug is very fond of).

Other than people who have seen it saying it looks stunning, I don't think it makes it any better?!

Maybe it's a, red car is faster, kind of thing?!? :p

Sixx :bones:

So would an ETA 2836-2 with gold be assembled in asia And hence less quality then a swiss assembled 2836-2 (nickle plated)?

An ETA factory in Asia is still an ETA factory. They dont change their quality dependent on the Country in which they are located.

An ETA factory in Asia is still an ETA factory. They dont change their quality dependent on the Country in which they are located.

+1... it doesn't change the quality. A gold plated is still assembled by the eta factory, just in asia... nickel plated assembled in switzerland. quality control is the same for both.. exceptional!

I have a friend who has private label watches made and he can get eta 2824 movements either goldtone or silvertone from swatch/eta in lots of 500 and iirc, the goldtone was a few $$ more...all made and assembled in switzerland.

He can not take delivery of bare movements but must have them shipped to a swiss assembly shop where he sends the rest of the parts...case, dial, hands, crystals etc and the shop assembles the watches. The shop delivers only the finished timehead, no bracelets or straps are installed to save $$.

Last time I talked to him (about 6 months back), he said eta movements were getting too expensive and he was looking into alternatives.

I read years back that goldtone eta quartz movements were swiss assembled and silvertone models were asian assembled using swiss parts but do not know if it holds true or not.

Early omega movements were copper plated. All the omega freaks claimed they were rose gold! plated but they were just copper plated. :wounded1:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/rgold/rgold.html