When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Franken 371704 returns from Vac!

watcher

Today was a special day as it is the first time I have sent a watch to a modder and it returned looking very beautiful indeed!!! This is a V1 3717 with a far superior dial to the V3 I showed last week. Also the case is better too in it's profiling. The bezel is not as tall and the lugs are tighter with my gen bracelet fitted.

It received a Lume job plus Cheif's AR which in the pics you will see how that compares to Taka's crystal! and also has an IWC 79320 movement powering it's little body! with a gen date wheels too.

Vac has done a beautiful job on the whole watch and I would have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone.Thankyou Vac!!!

Now for some quick pics, more to follow later this week.

The AR is chalk and cheese. I thought Vac had forgotten the crystal!!

003uz.jpg

The Heart!

001jtv.jpg

006fp.jpg

007ku.jpg

010apd.jpg

So Taka's crystal has the standard rep AR on it, I take it? There's definitely nothing like the first time getting an AR mod done!!

According to the site, Taka's crystal has his own custom double AR (not factory one). I ordered one and it is on its way to me.

hey P.

It is a beautiful gen iwc you got there. It is definitely a keeper.

tak's ar utilises the smae reflective index as the gen iwc crystal, he can get it colorless if you want to, but for the iwc he chooses a gen like color instead.

The color tint might be the same but the gen IWC is much less reflective... I honestly thought this was rep AR. Colorless isn't possible. That'd mean absolute zero reflections. In any event, if you like it, that's all that matters.

So, I see thicker markers at 3, 6, 9 on the Taka watch (V3). Why on earth would "the factory" move from a better dial (v1) to a LESS ACCURATE repro (V3)?? Not logical. I think TomHorn said the lume is more accurate on V3 - lume only at 3,6,9 & not around the dial. I cannot for the life of me understand why later versions of 3717 are less accurate. So they improved the lume but made the dial less realistic - a mixed bag or what?

The other big question is why the V1 looks gray vs black on the V3. Is that an optical illusion due to the AR or are they really that different? Gray is pretty attractive, but as far as I know, incorrect. The chief AR is just awesomely awesome - looks like it was left off for the pix!

Watchman888

Edited by Watchman888

The dial is black on the franken but the strong AR and halogen lights make it appear grey. The V1 has the nearest finish to the gen but is not precise. The V3 dial is not very good to be honest even though the correct parts are lumed as in the V1. I think Vac may have slimmed down the markers for me.

As to AR, the Taka crystal does have a more gen appearance but more reflection than Cheif's but Cheif's is stronger than the gen IWC coating. Somewhere in between would be perefect. I do think the watch is missing something without the blue hue but it does show the dial beautifully.

So, I see thicker markers at 3, 6, 9 on the Taka watch (V3). Why on earth would "the factory" move from a better dial (v1) to a LESS ACCURATE repro (V3)?? Not logical. I think TomHorn said the lume is more accurate on V3 - lume only at 3,6,9 & not around the dial. I cannot for the life of me understand why later versions of 3717 are less accurate. So they improved the lume but made the dial less realistic - a mixed bag or what?

The other big question is why the V1 looks gray vs black on the V3. Is that an optical illusion due to the AR or are they really that different? Gray is pretty attractive, but as far as I know, incorrect. The chief AR is just awesomely awesome - looks like it was left off for the pix!

Watchman888

Actually, what I said was the lume is incorrect on the v2, but correct on the v1 and v3. The dial, IMO is best on the v1 mainly due to its texture/finish. As for the color of the dial, lighting and AR can definitely affect what you see in pics.

The factories often make some features worse while improving others in subsequent releases, it happens all the time ... you just have to pick your poison, and do mods when necessary ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

Actually, what I said was the lume is incorrect on the v2, but correct on the v1 and v3. The dial, IMO is best on the v1 mainly due to its texture/finish. As for the color of the dial, lighting and AR can definitely affect what you see in pics.

The factories often make some features worse while improving others in subsequent releases, it happens all the time ... you just have to pick your poison, and do mods when necessary ... :)

Hi Tom,

If I have the option to source a V1 dial from Josh for my V3 IWC, how much of a difference would there be? Is it worth the wait and effort in your opinion? Is it a matter of how sharp the text is, the markers?

Thanks!

M.

• 4 months later...

You mf's are crazy! V1 vs V3, Gen vs Rep. Lets buy a rep for $300, send it all over the world to get AR, buy a gen dial for $600, a gen movement for $$$ more, then $$$ more for a gen bracelet, and what do you get? A rep watch that won't fool the same person who wasn't fooled by your $300 watch... but you will fool everybody else without the need to spend $$$$ on the improvements.

Bah

You mf's are crazy! V1 vs V3, Gen vs Rep. Lets buy a rep for $300, send it all over the world to get AR, buy a gen dial for $600, a gen movement for $$$ more, then $$$ more for a gen bracelet, and what do you get? A rep watch that won't fool the same person who wasn't fooled by your $300 watch... but you will fool everybody else without the need to spend $$$$ on the improvements.

Bah

Whoever said the object of the game (hobby) was to fool others?