When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone rock a pocket square?

stilty

I decided to give a pocket square a go the other with a blazer. The wife said I looked like I belong on "queer eye for the straight guy"! Not what I was expecting.

I have worn one with a tuxedo, but never with a less formal jacket.

Anyone else rock a pocket square?

• 1 month later...

Pocket squares should never ever be used in a dressed down look! Ever. Burn the thought of doing so out of your head, shoot it, and flush down toilet!

Level 1) Sports coat and jeans fine.. Coat should not have pocket flaps

Level 2) Sports coat and dress pants. Fine, colour combos shouldn't clash. Open collar is okay.

Level 3) Sports coat and dress pants with tie. You can add a lapel pin at this point.

Level 4) Suit and tie, coat pockets should be flapped. At this point and only at this point should one entertain a pocket square.

Level 5) Tuxedo. Pocket square is important here. White square if black dinner jacket. You could do a boutineer as well, but lose the square if you do so.

When dressing, always ask yourself, "would James Bond do this"? Bond wouldn't. So don't!

• 2 weeks later...

Pocket squares should never ever be used in a dressed down look! Ever. Burn the thought of doing so out of your head, shoot it, and flush down toilet!

Level 1) Sports coat and jeans fine.. Coat should not have pocket flaps

Level 2) Sports coat and dress pants. Fine, colour combos shouldn't clash. Open collar is okay.

Level 3) Sports coat and dress pants with tie. You can add a lapel pin at this point.

Level 4) Suit and tie, coat pockets should be flapped. At this point and only at this point should one entertain a pocket square.

Level 5) Tuxedo. Pocket square is important here. White square if black dinner jacket. You could do a boutineer as well, but lose the square if you do so.

When dressing, always ask yourself, "would James Bond do this"? Bond wouldn't. So don't!

This is good. But if you feel good and confident in your cloths, you will make ANYTHING look good. It's not always the suit, it helps, but your attitude when wearing something is what draws the attention.

Btw... I rock the $hIt outta some pocket squares.

Edited by mLuMaN83

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Apart from the will to dress down I would say that the pocket square is a great opportunity.

Youngsters today do not know how to use it and when they use it they have some multicolor thing in silk (which is totally unnatural as a handcachief).

I instead take the advantage of as often as I can have a pocket square in my jacket. Like I try to use suspenders instead of a belt ;)

My advice (when not wanting to dress down):

* Use pocket square as often as you can. It is a part of your jacket as much as your buttons

* Dont make a big fuzz out of it. Just have a white cotton pocket square sticking up. Do not make a flower out of it, just keep it straight (1960-fashion).

And Mr Bond would use a pocket square.

• 2 years later...

you need to use the right pocket square for the right occasion a little bit of a white handkerchief showing in my book always looks great with a navy slim suit and can be worn without a tie and give a bit of contrast with the suit but its not needed with jeans though you could say rock chinos a blazer and a well styled pocket square with this look 

rock chinos a blazer and a well styled pocket square with this look 

I second this! 

On a suit a pocket square only at the right occasion but I wear a lot of chino's or a blazer on a jeans. In that case it's just a fashion item. 

tumblr_max6lvb5Nj1r3pv4qo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mdsf6aEnLU1r3pv4qo1_500.jpg

photo-27.jpg

0f05f1b72227ffff86dc53de1f346170.jpg

My pocket square and PAM today

Edit: Sorry for the bad picture, but it's pretty hard to take a picture of your body without seeing what you photograph :p

That's obviously a pocket triangle you liar!. :lol:

OK OK just joking.. it seems that you, my friend, are happily married to style! :thumbs::notworthy:

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you can wear a square even when dressed down a little. Good shoes, straight dark denim, white shirt and a good navy blazer can be definitely complimented with an appropriately coloured and styled square. Just be clever about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Excllent pocket square

With those jeans you can wear any expensive watch youd like, thats for sure

BTW what watch are you wearing in the pick?..I am certain it aint no ROLEX

Excllent pocket square

With those jeans you can wear any expensive watch youd like, thats for sure

BTW what watch are you wearing in the pick?..I am certain it aint no ROLEX

Thank you! :) and believe it or not, it is a Rolex actually! I got it from Matt here on the forum a while back and I put a brown band on it. This is it.

post-60398-0-01703800-1401074308_thumb.j

Edited by positivitony

I've started wearing pocket squares with sport coats, now that I no longer wear suits and ties to work .. I still like a pop of colour.

As for fashion rules, 'never do this, never do that', I am old enough to know they are total b.s.  Just wear what you like and you feel comfortable with in the company you keep.