When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A tudor Franken? well it is a gen dial

FxrAndy

A while ago i scored a gen tudor dial from 1970 (ish) but to my wife it is 1970 as this is for here 40th birthday in 5 days time.

The case came from watcheden and i have to say it was a nice straight forward deal, the watch as it came was very wearable, no photos but you can see it here Thanks to watcheden for the $20 coupon that meant that this watch only cost $88 with postage to UK, I love the bracelet for the price i am very impressed no need even to smooth it, the case back is laser engraved rather than stamped and the crown is a bit flimsy but it does align with the 2836 that i have fitted (oem is a21j) Plexy crystal is nice to have i think the loupe could have a bit more magnification.

The modding was not straight forward as the dial is too small for the case, in fact the dial is the exact size of the opening, so i had to make a new movement holder (OEM was plastic any way) on my new lathe to center and hold the dial, i did not take any photos of it yet but if i take this apart then i will try to remember, even as it is the whole package is held together by the case back being tightened as there are no recesses in the case for movement clamps.

Now some eye candy

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0908.jpg

DSCF0907.jpg

DSCF0906.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0902.jpg

Sorry if the photos are not that good but i am sat in the garden and cant see the detail in the pictures due to the sun, if any one wants a picture of the case back and bracelet i will do one later.

Don't want to miss some time sat in the sun after the white winter we had.

Andy, looks nice! Just out of curiosity, what is the width of the case, not counting the crown? The Prince Date rep I bought has a width of about 34mm and the crystal is about 28.15mm. I wonder if a gen dial might fit this case a bit better, I've been watching a couple on flea-bay...

Thank you Guys, from what i have seen from the wife's reaction she is a bit Luke warm on the idea of a watch smaller than a SOSF, but she is going to have it any way. Then i may auction it off and get her something else!

Andy, my wife's just the opposite. I tried to get her to wear the Prince Date I got recently. She really liked the silver linen(?) dial in it, and it's smaller than a DJ, but she said it was still too big... The Prince Date looks out of place on my wrist (I think) but I also like the dial so I'm torn...