When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware of the French

donerix

Because they are well informed.

I flew into Nice yesterday (on the last non-cancelled flight) and despite delay made the connection in Rome, but my luggage didn't.

When I received the call in the evening that my luggage had arrived I went to the airport where two customs officers where already awaiting me.

In one of the bags I had Panerai Slytech 5218-205A which I had bought for a friend from a member at RWG.

The customs officers first asked me if I had an invoice for the watch which I didn't. When they told we that they would have to charge me import tax on the watch and asked how much I paid for it I answered:"$320".

"So it's fake?" they asked to which I could only answer "yes"

Then they said that they had to confiscate the watch and destroy it and that I would have to pay a fine up to twice the amount of the real watch which they - after a quick online check - estimated at 45000 Euros.

In the end they "only" charged me 100 Euros, but after seeing the look on the woman's face I was pretty sure that she would "destroy" the watch by mounting it on her or her husband's wrist ....

A nice $500 loss for the evening ....

But I guess in the end I got lucky.

If they would have checked my carry-on luggage earlier that day they would have seen this:

ALL-group.jpg

..and I would probably send this post from French prison :)

So be careful next time you travel there (I really didn't know)....

They never even asked about the PAM 239 I was wearing ...:)

HOW can they ask for receipt for a personal belonging? If I had a rep in my luggage I would say go [censored] yourself if they tried that! Do they really have the authority to do this stuff? Its almost nazi conditions.

This post got me really angry!

If you had a watch that you have owned for a long time and did not have a receipt for, and they said produce evidence that its real or else we confiscate it. I would get a lawyer and crucify the mofos!!

HOW can they ask for receipt for a personal belonging? If I had a rep in my luggage I would say go [censored] yourself if they tried that! Do they really have the authority to do this stuff? Its almost nazi conditions.

This post got me really angry!

If you had a watch that you have owned for a long time and did not have a receipt for, and they said produce evidence that its real or else we confiscate it. I would get a lawyer and crucify the mofos!!

I have to admit, I was thinking the same thing. I guess it's because the item was 'in transit', rather than 'on the person' which gives them the leeway to ask, but it's crazy if people are going to have to start carrying receipts for every item of luggage they might be traveling with :bangin:

this is really crazy, and I'm sorry about your watch being confiscated, but you are taking a huge risk flying from country to country with that many watches.

Actually the French have been doing this for quite some time. I was warned of this by a friend, several years ago, who is a very serious Pen collector. He was traveling to a Pen show in Europe and had to transit through Paris. They checked his carry-on bags and found all his pens, I believe he had 40 or 50 mostly vintage pens. They pulled the same thing with him, however he was able to get out of it after calling his wife in the USA and having her fax over copies of most of the receipts for the pen purchases, along with some documentation that he was a member of several pen collectors societies.His warning to me was to either have a receipt for anything valuable or don't risk it.On the trip tp Paris, I was taking two watches with me, a genuine and a rep. I made an invoice for the rep and a copy of the invoice for the genuine. I wasn't checked however it made me feel a little better to have the documentation.Actually, I think it is a good idea to have some sort of proof of purchase for anything that is valuable.France is not the only country that has been known to occasionally ask for receipts at customs.

Sorry to hear your of your bad experience. Not only could things have turned out much worse had they found your larger cache (you likely would have been arrested (or heavily fined) as a seller of contraband), but, also, if any of the watches -- real or fake -- had been Rolexes. Many countries treat Rolex infractions more seriously than other brands.

Never a good idea to travel with more than the watch on your wrist unless it is a gen & you are carrying the original sales receipt. Even then, if you are entering/leaving the US & carrying any additional Rolex watches, you can still run into trouble.

I dont know what to say but DAM!!! :shock:

@doderix and others

SORRY for your loss!!

Dont want to sound like a wise guy but following is what i practised

at least 2 times:

Tell the item is yours (of course you have "no clue") if item

is gen or not - pay the TAX for importing the watch,

then if you travel home, check with customs authorities

and again and refund the amount you payd because

you are taking the item back home...

This worked for me 2 times with greek customs

and one time the item was already packed as a gift

but i remained stubborn and said that i am not

going to "import" the item and it worked as well.

This might be a solution - alternative can be

to send the item then via mail.

Good luck next time :)

George

WTF E! Are you a smuggler now??? LOL! Just kiddin, but $hit, where the hell were you taking those watches? Wow! I would be devastated if I was in your place and they caught those beauties! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh~! Man-O-Man! I'm so glad for you that they did not check your hand carry! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sorry to hear your bad trip/experience! We should Ban France as a lay-over or destination in RWG!

Let me get this right, so if you arrive at your airport with a gift on your wrist, or in your luggage - for example - you need to have a freaking invoice? Do they do the same with laptops, clothing, or other consumer items that are replicated every day all over the world? Or, it's just Panerai in France? I feel bad for this happening to you. I mean, I travel with several watches on my travels (usually as carry-on) and I've never encountered this. In the US I get interviewed every time upon arrival, but it's because my name is real common and matches that of someone they've been after for some time.

...but it's because my name is real common and matches that of someone they've been after for some time.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

B I N L A D E N ? ? ?

:D

Sorry but i couldnt restrain... ahhh that was a good "pass" for me.

@bansen

Dont you want to get my new "comical assistant"??

Sorry man... maybe its because of weekend lol

George

Let me get this right, so if you arrive at your airport with a gift on your wrist, or in your luggage - for example - you need to have a freaking invoice? Do they do the same with laptops, clothing, or other consumer items that are replicated every day all over the world? Or, it's just Panerai in France? I feel bad for this happening to you. I mean, I travel with several watches on my travels (usually as carry-on) and I've never encountered this. In the US I get interviewed every time upon arrival, but it's because my name is real common and matches that of someone they've been after for some time.

I believe Rolex's official policy, is that a person may carry one Rolex by hand into the US without any kind of proofs. Also, and I may be wrong on this, but I believe I've read that ownership of any kind of replica goods is illegal in France. It might not have been a case of it being a watch, just that it was 'counterfeit' which was the issue... I find it strange that such a heavy fine (which makes sense) could be reduced so drastically.

Yes the problem was that I admitted it was counterfeit.

But then I didn't want to pay the import tax on watch the estimated at 45,000 Euros either.

Well I am over it by now, I just feel bad for my friend who is now just getting an empty wooden box ...

That's a rough situation... I guess the only option would be to refuse the import tax, and let them confiscate it without admitting it was counterfeit, but that still means losing the watch. One thing's for sure, I'll now only ever take the watch I'm wearing abroad with me, rather than one for everyday, and one for 'dressing up' formally...

but after seeing the look on the woman's face I was pretty sure that she would "destroy" the watch by mounting it on her or her husband's wrist ....

So every time her husband is mou%#@&*ing her while his wearing your Slytech , she will remember of you .... :rudolph::air_kiss: ...... :D

Seriously now , ....sory aboit your PAM loss. :(

I have seen German customs question people about when a where they bought items they were carrying, and charge them tax on what they bought in to the country.

Personally i always travel with 3 watches, wearing one and 2 in my luggage and i could only prove that i owned them before by photos in my photo bucket account

This has got me thinking, do we have an expert on tax and import here?

A few situations

a, I live in the EU, I go on holiday to the states buy a new daytona and bring it back on my wrist, on this i would have to pay import tax, happy

b, I live in the EU, I go on holiday to the states, i fly out with a gen double red on my wrist that has been in my family since 1969 (i wish) and i fly back with the same watch, i cant provide a receipt for the watch at the air port and the papers are in the safe what happens if you have a dick of a customs officer.

c, I live in the states and i fly to the EU for a GTG with a box of vintage rollys, i have no intention of selling any and i can prove ownership for them all and i am only stopping in the EU for 2 days, I am assuming here that i should go through the red channel and declare what i am carrying, but am i liable to pay import tax for something that i am not going to sell and will be leaving the EU 2 days later.

What are the rules, what proof of owner ship or age would be required?

I think i will make a separate thread for these questions

Two guys I know got caught in a sting in Georgia (USA) last summer with 600 (six hundred!) high grade fake designer handbags. The authorities confiscated all the handbags, their two vehicles, and put both of the guys in jail over the Labor Day weekend. They posted bail after the holiday weekend and came home, both vehicles were left behind. They got their vehicles back a few weeks later because they both owed more $$ on them than they were worth and they were basically property of the finance outfits so the cops did not want them.

A court date was set and they both had lawyers to represent them.

A month or two later out of the blue, all charges were dropped.

Why?

All the evidence (600 handbags!!) had 'disappeared' from the evidence room without a trace.

(it took a long wheelbase van and a covered 'Doolie' pickup truck to haul them so they would be very hard to 'misplace')

Another guy I know had 3000 pirated videos of current movies. A fellow approached him and said he wanted to buy a few movies. The guy bought 2 or 3 movies and left. He came back about 45 minutes later with a Deputy Sheriff. He presented some papers claiming he was a representative for some movie copyright holders etc and took all 3000 movies. The Deputy Sheriff helped carry them out. The DS did not instruct the video guy to come with them so the video guy stayed behind.

The video guy never heard anything else about it so about a month later he went to the Courthouse and talked to the same DS about it. The DS said this was his first trademark/copyright case and the other guy was basically in charge when the raid took place. The movies never made it to the Courthouse or evidence room. Matter of fact, the 'inspector' never showed up at the police station or Courthouse after the raid. He had been instructed to follow the DS to the Courthouse.

It turned out the 'inspector' was a FAKE! inspector and just stole the movies. This was his third or fourth robbery in the area.

Now there is a 'wanted poster' with a picture of the fake inspector on the wall of the video store.

A friend of mine was at the local flea market selling fake Oakley sunglasses about 5 years ago. A guy came by and bought a pair of the 'fakeOs' for $10. He returned in a little while with a warrant and a Deputy Sheriff.

He said "We can do this the easy way or the hard way."

My friend asked "What is the easy way?"

The inspector said "You give me all the fake Oakleys and we go see the Judge".

Then he asked "What is the hard way?"

The inspector said "I will get a search warrant and we will turn this place upside down then we will go to your house and turn it upside down."

He said "Let's do it the easy way."

The inspector said "How many pairs do you have?"

My friend said "Fifty three dozen plus what is on the table." (630+)

They loaded them all up and my friend rode in the police car and met with the Judge and the inspector. He posted bail and they set a court date.

When the court date rolled around, he went to court hoping the inspector would not appear. He was there, front and center.

The Judge let both sides tell their story then asked the inspector what he wanted in the way of 'restitution'.

The inspectod said "At least $100 for each pair of sunglasses." ($100 x 53 x 12 = $63600.00)

My friend said he nearly passed out.

The Judge asked the inspector "Are you going to take the sunglasses?"

The inspector said "Yes."

The Judge said "Well that's all you are getting because if anyone gets any money from this guy it is going to be the Court."

He fined him $3000 plus court cost and 5 years probation.

His time was up last summer.

(the conversations are accurate but not exact)

@automatico

Life can be weirder than fiction soemtimes

@Andy

Situation "A" is not clearly posted as a question or not?

Beeing no expert but from what i expereinced and heard:

Situation "B" - if you have really "a [censored]" of a custom-officer

and no receipt of the watch you have the situation rolling

in 2 possible directions: Wearing/carrying one watch is positive

for convincing him that you where not going to sell it!

Bad for you is if the custom officer doesnt believe your

story that you already HAD the watch when travelling out

of germany. (This can be for ex. if the item looks "brand-new")

Situation "C" is maybe the classic situation where you CAN

get forced to pay import taxes - for ex. if customs dont believe

that you are going on a GTG/meeting of some sort of Club

with NO intention to sell/import. But good in this case is

that you are able to get your taxes back when leaving the

country.

Maybe we have a lawyer here?

Havent been too many times outside EU carrying watches

lately to know better...

George