When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Au...

JoJo35

This is gold, Mr Bond...

"All my life, I've been in love with its colour,

its brilliance, its divine heaviness..."

Auric Goldfinger

I've finally found a suitable 1803 that matches it's golden brothers, a white dialed OP, and a silver dialed two-tone. That's probably enough Au for now, unless of course if I ever come across a color change golden 1680 ;)

4c79c45c.jpg

be9e7860.jpg

b7153faf.jpg

I see that the 1803 also has your signature underline dial, JJ! Circa 1963???

Nice catch alligoat ;)

Yes, I guess you could say that is my "signature" with a number of my pieces. This 1803 happens to be extremely rare; especially in the mint condition it is in. Production year is well into '64, and although later for an underline, this watch is 100% correct. Notice anything else peculiar about the dial?

Just the dash between Oyster and Perpetual.

Pie-pan dial would seem typical for that time frame

Take a closer look at the first picture. You'll see that the print used on the "T"s surrounding the SWISS @ the six o'clock position is different than the SWISS printing (and the T's are not aligned on each side of the SWISS). Evidently, this was the beginning of the T SWISS T dials, or perhaps T SWISS T dials were already being produced when this dial was used up from old stock at the factory and placed into this watch after adding the underline and the T's. Different theories exist regarding the rare underline dials, although IMO this makes the most sense.

I'll buy that. I had missed the T's, but the 63-64 timeframe is consistent as far as the switch to tritium goes. Reminds me of the 3-6-9 5513 sub dial in Skeet & Urul where the T<25 ended up on both sides of the Swiss at the bottom. Rolex did some unusual things in those days.

very nice! I have never seen an underline 1803!

Are you going to keep it on the leather or source a bracelet?

I had a nice black dial 1603 and i wish i had never sold it.

Congrats on your new beauty!!

Gorgeous trio. I especially like the 1803! Such an understated classic... Great value for the money! And a nice, clean example you've got.

However, I don't envy you when it comes to changing the day and date on that one! :lol:

Thanks ubi. I'll admit this piece has been on my radar since day one, and I mean that literally. Years ago, before I ever heard of RWG1 (let alone a computer for that matter!), I bought an "automatic" rep day date on 34th St in NYC. Looking back, it was one of the cheapest reps ever, and came long before the rep quality improved to where it is now. However, I was a kid then, and thought the watch I bought was the best!

Times have certainly changed since then, but I never forgot my first rep. Now I have the real thing ;)

very nice! I have never seen an underline 1803!

Are you going to keep it on the leather or source a bracelet?

I had a nice black dial 1603 and i wish i had never sold it.

Congrats on your new beauty!!

Thanks Dizzy! I may keep it on the leather strap and 750 buckle for a while, although I am keeping my eyes open for a 18k rivet.