When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Almost Home

freddy333

With the final key to my Phase II 6542 puzzle finally in-hand, here is a test-fitting of all the pieces with the exception of the 1036GMT (while I had it apart, I decided to replace a few components with NOS parts that, while functional, showed some wear)

0161-2.jpg

0191.jpg

0061-1.jpg

0271.jpg

When complete, this watch will be all gen except for the dial (MY, but this may change) & bezel insert (Andy), which I thought was gen when I 1st saw it on another watch. :)

All - Thanks for the kind words. It will probably be another week or 2 before I receive all of the replacement movement parts (fortunately, all of the worn components were parts that are still relatively easy to source), but I will post pics of the completed watch as soon as I can.

Wow! thats fantastic! well done! that in my book is a gen period! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

one question were they all with rotating red/black date wheel i have only seen this on a datejust, i wont be using a gen movement in my project but a modern (fxrandys 2893-2) but i will have to get a red/black date wheel!as i want the look of the watch to be as close as possible to the gen!

one question were they all with rotating red/black date wheel i have only seen this on a datejust

Yes. The original 6542 came with a roulette (alternating red (even days)/black (odd days)) datewheel. A number of other Rolexes during the same period were also fitted with roulettes (I do not have a listing of which watches had them).

Yes. The original 6542 came with a roulette (alternating red (even days)/black (odd days)) datewheel. A number of other Rolexes during the same period were also fitted with roulettes (I do not have a listing of which watches had them).

Thanks freddy333 this datejust was a eta modern datejust but with open 6-9 s a fantasy rep no doubt cant remember from were would be perfect to find one again and use the movement with the datewheel!

When it's finished, if you send it to Rolex for a service, will they put a genuine dial in for you? :)

Boy, I wish :pray:

More likely, they would return the watch (untouched, except for having redacted (scratched-off) the Rolex signature on the dial) with a note stating that the use of aftermarket (fake) parts in a Rolex watch are a breach of law.

Thanks freddy333 this datejust was a eta modern datejust but with open 6-9 s a fantasy rep no doubt cant remember from were would be perfect to find one again and use the movement with the datewheel!

Mr. Slimeball sells aftermarket roulette datewheels for gen movements (they suck), but you might inquire to see if he can rip you off for an ETA datewheel. :drinks:

You know what I'd like to see here? (challenge to Freddy)

Post up comparison photos of the MY dial you've got there, next to a gen 6542 dial. See how many people here can actually spot the differences?

That would be a pretty valuable learning experience for a lot of us.

A watch collection without a 6542 is like a sex life an never gettin blown

I am very sorry about this vulgar comment but as it happens it is my honest opinion :whistling:

Great project indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One day......

Looking forward to the rest of this story...

MG

Edited by mastergod

You know what I'd like to see here? (challenge to Freddy)

Post up comparison photos of the MY dial you've got there, next to a gen 6542 dial. See how many people here can actually spot the differences?

That would be a pretty valuable learning experience for a lot of us.

genvsnon1.jpg

Of course, my watch does not have hands in this pic, but they will be gens, so they will look similar (excepting differences due to varying age & patina).

As I mentioned in the 1st post, the dial may be changed if I can locate a more accurate replacement. Sadly, after the benchmark set by the repaint MY did on the ETA blank for my Phase 1 watch, which turned out nearly perfect (though he did custom paint it to my specs & the gen blank was an off-the-shelf aftermarket dial)

6542insert20091.jpg

I have been trying to contact MY to see if he will repaint the gen blank to match the ETA. Unfortunately, MY has not responded to any of my email inquiries for the past couple of months & he removed the sample pics on the dial repainting service page of his site. :g:

Verrrrrrrrry nice. I do like the first dial better.

How about Kirk Rich? They were less than assuring when I asked them about a gilt dial for my 1675.

I do like the first dial better.

I think each dial has its good & bad points, but, overall, I think the 2nd dial (the 2 that MY painted to my specs) looks closer to the gen than the 1st dial. Check the size/shape of the coronet & font/spacing of the 3 lines of text. I think the 2nd dial looks alot closer.

How about Kirk Rich? They were less than assuring when I asked them about a gilt dial for my 1675.

You know, I totally forgot about Kirk Rich. However, I do remember the less than warm feeling they left you with, but I will check with them today to see what they say.

Okay, I found the capper... the final ne plus ultra rarity for your 6542.

Behold, the glory of the tropic-38 :notworthy:

Thanks for the link, but I am not sure I follow the reasoning behind this? The only crystal spec'ed for the 6542 was the T115, which is what I am using. Also, the watch pictured in the seller's auction is a franken (using some of the parts I ultimately replaced (with more accurate parts) on my Phase 1 watch).

Hmmmmm. Take a look at the 3-line spacing on my "Radial" dial.

The 3-line spacing on the 6542 was different than the 1675 (wider on the 6542).

I spoke with a tech at Rich & will be shipping the MY dial off to them tomorrow (should be about a 3-week turn-around). I detailed the specifics of my request & sent them good, clear macros of the details I need them to get right. The understanding is that if they do not feel they can refinish the dial to my specs, they will return it to me untouched, which is the same agreement we had in previous cases (&, so far, they have always done a splendid job). But the proof is always in the pudding, so we shall have to wait & see.