When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My House Plans.. ..so Far

Everythingape

The view outside those windows is to die for. :notworthy:

Ken

Thats why being a trained architect can make the whole difference on the designing process...

With a powerful view like that and the house plays total indiference towards it...

IMHO the "view" looks like some oil paintings hanged on the wall.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! :)

View-wise we're a bit jaded around here. I grew up looking at that bay from the island you see through the bedroom window. Only the recent years have I really started to appreciate it.

Our first draft for a house was an architect-drawn, long and narrow thing with tall panorama windows and everything focused westward. I understood the general idea, but I thought it was too cold with all the glass, so we went for my own suggestion.

just stumbled across this thread! congrats. the veiws are fantastic.

not that it matters now, but have you tried sketchup pro? You can create easy 3D models. This would have been great for your initial drawings. You can even export your models to google earth. There is a free version and the pro version. I used it when we renovated our basement. We were able to draw up many floorplans and make revisions easily. I've used it to design our deck and landscaping in the back yard. Lots of fun with an easy learning curve.

As a sales rep for professionals in the building trade, I see tons of new homes every day. I can tell you that this house is a thing of beauty. It looks like you have been doing this for years with the progress you have made.

Those views are something dreams are made of...WOW!!!

Best of luck!!

just stumbled across this thread! congrats. the veiws are fantastic.

not that it matters now, but have you tried sketchup pro? You can create easy 3D models. This would have been great for your initial drawings. You can even export your models to google earth. There is a free version and the pro version. I used it when we renovated our basement. We were able to draw up many floorplans and make revisions easily. I've used it to design our deck and landscaping in the back yard. Lots of fun with an easy learning curve.

Thanks, Stilty. :)

I installed the free version of Sketchup, fiddled with it for a while, but by that time I had come so far with my Photoshop-plans that I didn't bother going all the way. But it really is a great program for anyone to become a "3D-designer". :)

As a sales rep for professionals in the building trade, I see tons of new homes every day. I can tell you that this house is a thing of beauty. It looks like you have been doing this for years with the progress you have made.

Those views are something dreams are made of...WOW!!!

Best of luck!!

Thanks! You flatter me, sir! ;)

I've probably mentioned it before in this thread, but I call myself a sloppy perfectionist, being easily annoyed by imperfections around me.

Having had little to no experience building houses, it really isn't so bad if you take your time and do a little 'research' before each project. I read a few books before I started, and find a lot of experience online that I try to learn from.

That being said, I have had great help both from friends and family and the people I pay. The building foreman is my neighbour two houses over, so he looks like he's investing a little extra time and effort in getting it just right, as well as helping me out with the part I do myself. Anything seems possible if you're willing to pay. :D

-Ape-

• 4 months later...

Well then!

Here we are, moved in in mid february.. almost as planned.. Some work still left outside and on the ground floor side wings, but what we need is done. :)

I'm doing a little work when I am at home, but there's no real rush to complete it.

I don't frequent this great forum much anymore, lost a little interest in watches and spring is upon us with outdoors activities and all that..

We'll see when autumn comes.. :)

Here's a pic I shot tonight, trying to get a good shot of the facade, not easy as it's built on top of a slope.

Please ignore the slight barrel distortion from the panorama stitching. (7 pics put together into one)

huspano1280in2.jpg

Here's one of the 'sunset' the other night. Can't wait for late may when we can see the sun set in the sea off the left headland there.

sunset210408km2.jpg

Very nice ideed Ape and that view........well it looks more like the kind of place people dream of retiring to. :wub:

Ken

Thanks again, Ken :)

It'll be a good place to raise a family and hopefully grow old.

Maybe build a wee boathouse on the water down there, sit with my feet up fishing all day.. :fishing1:

It came out wonderful Ape. You should be proud of the accomplishment. I did the same with my house and know what a long road it is.

Enjoy it and don't be a stranger :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks, dluddy :)

I've fallen off the rep wagon, but I'll pop by now and then to see what's new, and follow the forum life. :)

I sold my apartment with a hefty profit actually, so now I am trying to convince my girlfriend what a sound investment a Breitling or a Panerai would be! ;)

It looks fantastic - it's great to see the finished masterpiece!! And what a view!!

I'm on completely the same page with a great place to raise a family - I just made the same kind of move with that precise purpose in mind; it's the best thing we ever did. This is us until the gold watch now. :)

Maybe we'll need a home improvement, pre-school tantrum management or fishing sub-forum to keep you around over the summer! :p

It looks fantastic - it's great to see the finished masterpiece!! And what a view!!

I'm on completely the same page with a great place to raise a family - I just made the same kind of move with that precise purpose in mind; it's the best thing we ever did. This is us until the gold watch now. :)

Maybe we'll need a home improvement, pre-school tantrum management or fishing sub-forum to keep you around over the summer! :p

Thanks, CS :)

Yeah, moving out of the city is the best thing that's happened to us. I missed the sense of community and the serenity I had growing up on the island, and found some of it here.

It's a small spread-out town with new houses and young couples settling down.

Home improvement is likely to scare me away these days! I'm seriously fed up. ;)

Cheers for summer though!

Well then!

Here we are, moved in in mid february.. almost as planned.. Some work still left outside and on the ground floor side wings, but what we need is done. :)

I'm doing a little work when I am at home, but there's no real rush to complete it.

I don't frequent this great forum much anymore, lost a little interest in watches and spring is upon us with outdoors activities and all that..

We'll see when autumn comes.. :)

Here's a pic I shot tonight, trying to get a good shot of the facade, not easy as it's built on top of a slope.

Please ignore the slight barrel distortion from the panorama stitching. (7 pics put together into one)

huspano1280in2.jpg

Here's one of the 'sunset' the other night. Can't wait for late may when we can see the sun set in the sea off the left headland there.

sunset210408km2.jpg

Damn, that's one hell of an awesome project :):good::good::good::good:

Beautiful house, breathtaking views, absolutely top notch :victory:

If I ever get the chance to work on such a project in the future, I'll be lucky :)

Damn, that's one hell of an awesome project :):good::good::good::good:

Beautiful house, breathtaking views, absolutely top notch :victory:

If I ever get the chance to work on such a project in the future, I'll be lucky :)

Thanks for the kind words, TJ :)

We built in the nick of time it seems, prices went up a lot here just after we signed the contract.. There is talk about our house costing 15-20% more if we had waited 3 months!

It's been rewarding building this, but I wont do it again. :p

Thanks for the kind words, TJ :)

We built in the nick of time it seems, prices went up a lot here just after we signed the contract.. There is talk about our house costing 15-20% more if we had waited 3 months!

It's been rewarding building this, but I wont do it again. :p

No problem, it's an awesome project. All the more impressive, because you designed it yourself :)

Sounds like you got it built just in time, so a nice little bonus :)