When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pp Nautilus... Lovley, Or Ugly?

ubiquitous

I knew this would be a topic of good debate ^_^

I will agree- The styling is quite.... Dated. But, there's just something about it that's intriguing to me. I still prefer the Royal Oak and the Overseas, but the common denominator amongst the 3 is Genta's design. Factor in the IWC 222, and you have a classic quartet. Perhaps that is the appeal to me.

Doc- Is that River's TW version that you have?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-652-1158297711_thumb.jpg

Here's mine.

My wife usually doesn't notice or care about my reps but she likes this one a lot.

I have exactly the same one as thedoctor, mine was from river. It is different in person, and really appears small compared to my other watches because of the case height. But it is one of the most accurate reps. in fit and finish out there with the crown being the only noticeable flaw.

post-652-1158297711_thumb.jpg

I have exactly the same one as thedoctor, mine was from river. It is different in person, and really appears small compared to my other watches because of the case height. But it is one of the most accurate reps. in fit and finish out there with the crown being the only noticeable flaw.

Hmmmm... I think I prefer the crown on the rep, as it appears to be easier to handle and work with!

:)

I dunno what to think? On the one hand... I like it, but on the other, I don't?

Almost so ugly it's lovely. For some reason this one has been growing on me. But I still think prefer the Royal Oak.

Well, as long as you're asking, I've always found it AND the royal oak to both be hideous. The Nautilus is just blah to me and the Royal Oak is unrefined and blocky looking. :thumbdown:

Different strokes for different folks. The Overseas, though, is a cool looking watch IMO. It's bold, hip and unique without being flashy.

Edited by chieftang

Hmmmm... I must be more of a product of the 60's and 70's than I thought!

Born in 77... I fancy and appreciate:

60's and 70's Rolex

70's design watches (RO, PP, etc)

60's and 70's Marvel Silver Age funny books

60's and 70's Ferrari Daytonas

:lol:

Of course, I like modern stuff too...

Modern Rolex (especially the Daytonas)

Modern 70's design watches (RO and Naut)

Modern Ferrari (any)

2x :lol:

Well.. after years of looking, which has turned many of my first impressions of

let's say for instance, Breitling, Panerai, and even Iwc, from wonder at how anyone

could find them beautiful,.. to finally understanding, then loving them...

AP has remained outside of that loop.... It remains to me the auto mechanic's

offering to the world of timekeeping.... which to me is the wrong as I find time

circular, spherical, smooth,.. not nuts and bolts...

As for the Patek.. I received one in trade from another member and immediately,

holding it at arms length with thumb and forefinger, placed the offending object

into a bag to re-trade it at my earliest convenience....it was the Anti-Patek, that

had somehow eluded authorities and was now well into it's mission to destroy

the fine Patek name.... ^_^

Just my opinion - I thing it is ugly, cmpletely lacking any charm whatever.

But I understand that PP are about to release a "new" Nautilus... so let us hope for better things to come.

I wonder how long it will be before the rep makers launch their versions of the new Nautilus? :D

Edited by Highflyingclive

Picture the scene..........

The PP research and design team sitting in the office at 3.00 o'clock on a Friday afternoon in the seventies and some adoring English West country PP fan has sent them a couple of flagons of Scrumpy Jack and a 3rd Edition copy of 'Sailing & Whaling Songs of 19th Century' by Paul Clayton. The boss runs in and screams that they need some blue sky thinking to come up with something that will compete with the Submariner market...............before Monday!!!..... or old man Stern is going to sack them all and cash his chips in with Rolex!

That Scrumpy Jack is one powerful drink!

JTB

We should know either way very soon on the new models! Even my good friend at the Patek AD does not yet have even basic info such as pricing.

I've gone from hate to kind of like GG's old designs, which are understated elegence compared to the abortions he currently tries to hawk at half MSRP--the RO is my fav but I kind of like the Nautilus too.

I used to have a 3710 Nautilus, and it had to be one of the finest stainless steel watches out there, maybe even a small tick above the Royal Oak. But the watch just seemed to lack character, and despite the larger size, it just seemed too "old" to me. Yes, it is pretty ugly, and is definitely not what a "Patek" should be like, but hey, it's a watch with the Patek name on it after all. The Aquanaut is worse, the rubber strap is thin and cheap feeling (the rep strap feels better!), and the dial looks like it's made from plastic, but I liked the display back which allows one to watch the consummately finished Patek movement in action.

My idea of Patek is the classic 3919 Calatrava and models like the 5070. Those are beautiful, classic watches that really define what a Patek is. The newer Pateks are a disgrace to the brand name, especially the new Skeleton Minute Repeater Perpetual Calendar, looks like a cheap rep made in China. I also don't fancy the new Annual Calendar Chrono, and despite the exquisite in-house chrono movement, the dial stinks, although it still looked a bit better in person.

For now at least, I'm praying I will get that magical call from my Patek AD about an incoming 5970. :)

I thought I read somewhere that the "Nautilus" was supposed to be fashioned after a ship's porthole, can't remember where I read that but it does resemble one which oughta garner a few more comments!

I guess its possiblen that also the Nautilus is designed to look ike aporthole but...this is probably the thread you want on this subject:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=4008

Perhaps the most prominent line in the Audemars Piguet collection is the Royal Oak, which was launched in 1972. The name is rooted in English history: it is said that Charles II, when pursued by Cromwell's army in 1651, took refuge in the hollow trunk of an oak.

Inspired by the story, the Royal Nayy between 1803 and 1914 christened three of its largest battleships "Royal Oak." Spurred by the rich historical heritage of the name, Audemars Piguet decided to commission a design from that rascal Gerald Genta that would be a worthy reflection of this proud heritage. The shape is derived from the shape of a porthole, with the bezel attached by eight hexagonal bolts made of white gold. Purists may note that the slots of the screws are, of course, always perfectly aligned to follow the curvature of the case.

• 3 months later...