When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats 6 mill? Give or take a few cents!

offshore

I have to admit, it does absolutely nothing for me... If that's the kind of movement which has day/date/24 hours on the subdials, as well as the moonphase, I've seen very similar budget movements installed in much cheaper Daytona reps... To me, that watch just represents an utter waste of money, and the power of branding over value... :whistling:

A couple things to keep in mind on this one...

1) There aren't many Patek 2499's around, so a piece in this condition is a rarity in and of itself.

2) It's a Patek.

3) It was purchased by a private museum. I am not sure what the term 'museum' alludes to, but I would think an institute of some sort vs. a private individual collector.

Patek Philippe themselves have been known to outbid many private collectors for pieces to keep in their own museum; the act of which has gone into question by many as they are essentially driving the values of their own brand via their heritage. It could very well be Patek behind the 'private' museum party, though I think it would be fairly obvious if they actually end up displaying that watch. Or perhaps they would simply store it in a safe, hence taking a rare piece out of circulation and boosting their own value in the process.

All speculation on my part, nothing more... And to be honest, I think Patek would be the type to not hide or try to disguise such things (they probably wouldn't even care about such matters).

As a by the by... There is an 18k gold replica/reproduction out there if anyone's interested. The last time I asked for a price (a couple years back), I was quoted $17k US; it's probably gone up a bit with the current spot price of gold having risen over $1200/oz ($1k US/oz at the time if I recall correct). Steep, especially for a replica, and no matter what gen values are in comparison it's still a rep...

You might, others wont

Its all relative to your wealth and POV

Some spend hours in anguish over their rep Sub, bought at what 4% of the price of a gen, bringing their world crashing about their ears if spotted as a rep. Why shouldn't someone swimming in a different pond pay far less a %age for the aforementioned gold rep by way of a small whimsy.

All kidding aside. No one Is going to casually wear a 17 million dollar Timepiece, no one. It's like hanging a Van gogh orig at the neighborhood Micky D's, not going to happen. Van Gogh's and 17 million dollar watches are usally found In museums,(or wealthy collectors) not on someones wrist or wall, reguardless of relativity. ;) As far as the rep go's, sure why not? :D

Not quite on topic, but still on the theme, there was a show on TV last night about fraudulent auctions using 'phantom branded' Chinese watches, and showing punters glossy catalogues (which they produce themselves) to get a good price for them. One of the watches, was essentially a modern Daytona on a white strap, with the Day/Date/24 subdials, which the show's expert valued at about

Well I have heard It all In this thread, a seven million dollar Patek and a $17,000 rep of It. You got to be fckn kidding me. To be called out on a rep that i payed $17.000 for, fook dat :shock:

Actually it isn't a rep. It is correct movement and dial with handmade everything else including case carved out of block of gold. Think of it as the ultimate franken. You will never get called out but it ain't $17k - think more like $30-50k. ;) I have seen one and the owner actually has a fairly extensive Patek collection but never wears the gens other than to appropriate occasions. He wears that instead. So I guess it is all relative. :lol:

The one I inquired on was $17k... At the time ;)

DSCN8439.jpg

addingwatch has this one, I believe...

Though I think the price has increased, I don't think it's gone up to $30k (at least, not this specific one). But I'm pretty sure I know which one you're referencing on the hand made one... And if it is... Then I would agree. It would probably never get called out.

The one I inquired on was $17k... At the time ;)

DSCN8439.jpg

addingwatch has this one, I believe...

Though I think the price has increased, I don't think it's gone up to $30k (at least, not this specific one). But I'm pretty sure I know which one you're referencing on the hand made one... And if it is... Then I would agree. It would probably never get called out.

Of course it would never get called out...

It doesn't say 'Rolex' on the dial :tu:

Actually it isn't a rep. It is correct movement and dial with handmade everything else including case carved out of block of gold. Think of it as the ultimate franken. You will never get called out but it ain't $17k - think more like $30-50k. ;) I have seen one and the owner actually has a fairly extensive Patek collection but never wears the gens other than to appropriate occasions. He wears that instead. So I guess it is all relative. :lol:

WOW a $30-40 K rep, Im sure It's beautiful, no kidding. I love some of my $300 reps so I can just Imagine what this thing Is like. :o I really dont need much convincing anyway. If givin a choice I usally go with the rep :thumbsupsmileyanim: I do relize that this Is a replication(franken) of the highest order. One question? Mineral or saphire? :p