When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Making 101 - Chapter 2

jmb

Red, I machined everything but the case-back. The main case is machined from 316 and the bezel is from 303.

I'm glad everybody has enjoyed following along and it also benefits me when I outline the operations involved as I often see ways I could do something better or easier the next time!

Well, off to my "real" job...

@jmb - I just love these in-depth show-and-tells. For me, this is what my hobby is. I love my reps and other watches, but what I like better is to disassemble a movement, clean it, oil it and reassemble it and see that balance start to swing. I wish that we could see more pictorial examinations of behind-the-scenes things. One gets tired of reading "who has the best sub" articles.

I would like to see:

How do you re-lume a dial?

How do you broach the holes on a hand without destroying it?

What is the best way to put new dial feet on, in different locations, without damaging the dial face?

What is the correct way to oil the palet stones.

Simple stuff...you know?

Wow Wow and WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

Now this is what I call an technical masterpiece artist at work. If I was after that model case, I would pay more for your case than a genuine one which is mass produced at Rolex because at least yours is made by hand. You could start your own business at reissuing cases for badly deteriorated ones that are no longer in stock or out of production, by duplicating ones from clients that want to have them replaced, especially the James bond Submariner. I got into the replicas when my genuine vintage bumperwind omega case was heavily pitted by corrosion and was no longer in stock to be replaced, so I had a replica case modified. Once again I applaud you and raise my top hat to you!!!!!!!