When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Called Out On Po Today

cornerstone

I went to get a link taken out on a Planet Ocean today, and when they had done the work they said, "you know this is fake, right?" I asked them how they could tell. The answer? "Because it's made of cheap brass." :rolleyes:

Very smug about it too. :bangin:

I often wonder why non-AD's do this. I mean the smugness.

Anyway, I think they managed to bust a rivet on the clasp while they were at it - they seemed to have to work on it a very long time, and it's not right now (the pin/rivet thing connecting the two bars to the one bar on the clasp is now loose - fine when watch is on, but pin comes out when I take the watch off).

I would have hoped that the PO baqnds are the same type at the AT, which has a solid pin that is held by a crimped sleave inside the center link as opposed the old type folded pin (cheep and nasty and often ground through on the folded end during the finishing of the band) that breaks when you press them out. The AT system is the same as the gen and very robust.

I would have hoped that the PO baqnds are the same type at the AT, which has a solid pin that is held by a crimped sleave inside the center link as opposed the old type folded pin (cheep and nasty and often ground through on the folded end during the finishing of the band) that breaks when you press them out. The AT system is the same as the gen and very robust.

The rep PO (4th gen at least) bracelet's have exactly the mechanism you describe above. There is a solid pin which is held by a crimped sleeve inside the centre link. However, it is quite a task to get them on and off. I wouldn't be surprised if they just found it tough going and guessed it was a fake from that. You should get yourself a watch re-sizing tool, no need to visit smug AD's!

Asshats! Was their call-out a smokescreen to prevent you complaining about them busting your strap?!

That's kind of what I thought when I took the watch off and noticed the clasp.

I don't mind being called out on a rep - but don't tell me it's a crap rep :lol:

That reminds me... Was it the rivet in the middle of the clasp fold? If so they have been a weak point since the SMP rep raised its head.

Yes, that's right. Maybe someone with gorilla hands there tried it on :rolleyes:

The rep PO (4th gen at least) bracelet's have exactly the mechanism you describe above. There is a solid pin which is held by a crimped sleeve inside the centre link. However, it is quite a task to get them on and off. I wouldn't be surprised if they just found it tough going and guessed it was a fake from that. You should get yourself a watch re-sizing tool, no need to visit smug AD's!

I found the best tool for this was the blue plastic one from PT, is has a better pin with less flex than other cheeper ones, works a treat for me as lond as you ensure that the pin is pushing in a straight line and not at an angle.

Thanks for the ideas!

It looks like an easy fix, more irksome than anything.

I promise - I didn't go out and buy a brass PO :lol: I think the brass comment was 'fake watch spiel' from cheap gold plated watches. He talked about the weight too, but the rep is a substantial watch and I've worn the gen and don't remember collapsing in a heap from the extra weight. Basically, they had a long time to work with it, so I consider it more likely than not that they're going to spot that it's not a gen. But I don't think they could put a finger on why.

Perhaps real Omegas don't break as easily :lol:

I think the brass comment was 'fake watch spiel' from cheap gold plated watches.

I've been thinking about it and I reckon I know what the nitwit is talking about. He probably popped the back off expecting to find a zinc plated something or other and instead found a gold finish 2836 and assumed from the colour it was some brass crap.

There ain't no brass in the straps or cases, that's for sure...

I had to do this last week on my PO, took me some time, it is bloody hard to take off these links! But I manged not to damage the bracelet. Brass? Mine is 5th generation from Paul (but I cannot tell it apart from 4th Andrew is selling), in any case these are SS and rock solid, no brass there.

However, I tested some time ago steel on one of EL's older Subs, the material is likely to be similar across SS reps, it is relatively soft SS, apparently lower then 316 grade (test is simple, a scrach test with known hardnerss steal pieace), this is why reps are easier to scratch then gens...