When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superdomes on late 70's 1665s?

Ronin

Pressed for time, so no time to search around VRF/TRF, etc...

Question for the experts: Is a superdome correct for a late 1970's (1977) white Sea-Dweller 1665 in the high 5mil serial number range?

I know with the 16660 that the crystal changed, and in doing some other research I have seen late 1665's with what appears to NOT be a superdome.

Thanks gang,

So early as in 'reds' having superdome 25-39 tropic 39's. What would have been correct towards the end of the 1665 line T 19's?

Anyone have any good side profile pictures of a Superdome 1665 vs a non-Super 1665.

Thanks again all,

The correct use is Superdome 39 on the earliest 1665s, like the DRSD. By the time the GW was released they'd gone to the "flatter" tropic 39. Like Freddy says, anything goes however when it comes to a RSC replacing parts.

Here's a photo showing the two, both gen. Left is the "flatter" tropic 39 and right is the "superdome" tropic 39.

lugs1.jpg

FYI, Superdome is correct original crystal for a 5 mil 1665

Excellent, this works to my advantage for the project I am piecing together from my parts bin. (I am holding off on building a "Red", because I think I can assemble a more accurate/believable "White" instead.)

@Nanuq - any chance you have some good pics of the HEV valve on your gens?

Thanks,

Here ya go... the HEV is not really flush to the case, and the hole it sits in looks pretty much like a sloppy afterthought. It's nowhere near as precise and perfect as you'd think.

valve.jpg

vintage_cases.jpg

drsd6.jpg

P9250065.JPG

P9250054.JPG

Thanks again Nanuq.

In some photos I have seen the HEV itself looks flat, and matte/gunmetally. Does that make any sense? Could be a photo/angle thing.

heva.jpg

Sidenote: Can you PRO's identify which crystal is in fact installed above?

That last photo is the lower domed T-39. See how tall the "walls" are sticking up from the bezel insert? Visually verifying the extra bezel thickness, combined with the tall walls, you know it's not a T-19. If it had more distortion it would be the high domed T-39.

The T-19 is usually only found on the 5512 or 5513 non-date Submariner. The taller t-39 is for the sea-dweller with the thicker bezel. I see on al12's pic that the t-19 seems to fit ok though.

The superdome is for sure my favorite. Unfortunately most of them were lost during RSC visits :(

Thanks again Nanuq.

In some photos I have seen the HEV itself looks flat, and matte/gunmetally. Does that make any sense? Could be a photo/angle thing.

heva.jpg

Sidenote: Can you PRO's identify which crystal is in fact installed above?

member JoJo has mentioned the same thing to me in a conversation we were having about my 1665. I have also noticed it in photos.

member JoJo has mentioned the same thing to me in a conversation we were having about my 1665. I have also noticed it in photos.

The HEV variation you mean? Any others have any comments on that?

When I constructed my 1st Hev a few years ago, I (mistakenly) thought they always matched the case. But subsequent research has proven otherwise. The 5514/1665 He valve was plated with, I believe, zinc over a base metal. When the watch was new, the outer face of the valve appeared to match the rest of the case. But, over time, the outer wrapping wore away, leaving the flat-faced base metal exposed

he2.jpg

he1.jpg

As Freddy says the HeV for the 1665 was build in the very early models with steel but the top is absolutely flat (the part outside the case), that's the reason it appears with diferent shape depending on the light.

After that, HeV in 1665 was made with titanium. Just take a look at this:

awa-4-1.jpg

As Freddy says the HeV for the 1665 was build in the very early models with steel but the top is absolutely flat (the part outside the case), that's the reason it appears with diferent shape depending on the light.

After that, HeV in 1665 was made with titanium. Just take a look at this:

awa-4-1.jpg

Wow! That's a very cool correspondence!!