When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is Tony (Avitt) banned?

Migge

I can't actually give all the details without consulting the team but suffice to say we gave Avitt every opportunity to stay with us but he chose the path that led to a ban.

Ken

Yes I know I can find him elsewere, just wanted to know if I missed out on something major that would cause me to think twice before dealing with him again.

Im not asking for the details, just wanted a heads up if there is something major I missed that would have been good to know.

Thanks for the answers guys,

Regards

Mike

I was just about to post a question about Avitt's (and Stephane's - has he been banned, too?) whereabouts, when I found this thread. I can understand the Mods' not wanting to disclose full details, but, with such a popular & senior member, I would have thought a general explanation would be reasonable. No?

I have to agree with F333 and some of the others. This came as a surprise to me, as I was considering Avitt for some PVD services down the road. From what I am seeing above, I am guessing it was less about product/delivering on the goods, and more rules/political/personal???

A little more transparency would be nice. At another watch forum I frequent there is a "Banned Members" thread. It is a non-emotional, non-confrontational thread locked to the Mod's. In short, when someone is banned, a simple one or two line reason is stated. Perhaps RWG could consider this?

Example(s):

Member: ABC123 banned for spamming the forum

Member: XYZ321 banned for not following forum rules / trolling

Member: JoeBlo asked to be banned for not agreeing with the terms of service

Member: RipOff banned for failure to deliver goods sold, ripping people off

Member: Dealrr banned for excessive non-approved dealing

Just a thought...

In short, when someone is banned, a simple one or two line reason is stated. Perhaps RWG could consider this?

Example(s):

Member: ABC123 banned for spamming the forum

Member: XYZ321 banned for not following forum rules / trolling

Member: JoeBlo asked to be banned for not agreeing with the terms of service

Member: RipOff banned for failure to deliver goods sold, ripping people off

Member: Dealrr banned for excessive non-approved dealing

:good:

That's a good suggestion, guys. Unfortunately Avitt's summary could barely fit in a page, much less a couple of lines.

We take banning VERY seriously here, and as Avitt was such a respected and senior member, it was a very very difficult decision. It took us months to come to a consensus. Included in that time were several telephone calls, trying to find middle ground while holding him to the same RWG policies everyone else is expected to follow.

In the end, the decision how to proceed was his. So we honored his choice. 'Nuff said.

Member: Avitt banned for not following forum rules / trolling

Member: Avitt asked to be banned for not agreeing with the terms of service

Kind of like that.

Stephane on the other hand is much loved and required moderator of this board, with him it is just a case of life getting in the way.

Ken

Edit...I see Nanuq just answered as good as can be whilst I was typing, so yes like he said.

obey or be banned

Freddy honestly have you ever known us to do the above, unless the member was doing something wrong?

A point that everyone needs to think of is that maybe Avitt wouldn't want us to discuss this either.

Ken

I do not question the admins/mods right or need to remove members if they violate forum rules but I find the explanations given so far unsatisfying and think that efforts to be vague will only lead to unnecessary conspiracy theories. If all that happened was that Avitt disagreed with forum rules or the admin team, he could have as well just focused his presence to other fora - no need for banning and the inevitable subsequent questions of fellow members.

@chubbchubb sorry but your whole post was a waste of time.

Read what has been posted before making off the cuff comments like that.

We are not trying to be vague, we are deliberately not discussing the topic.

Why?

Because it is none of your business, Avitt chose the course he did and we have no interest in trying to besmirch his name, end of story.

Ken

What Ken's saying is that the point has already been addressed above.

That's a good suggestion, guys. Unfortunately Avitt's summary could barely fit in a page, much less a couple of lines.

We take banning VERY seriously here, and as Avitt was such a respected and senior member, it was a very very difficult decision. It took us months to come to a consensus. Included in that time were several telephone calls, trying to find middle ground while holding him to the same RWG policies everyone else is expected to follow.

In the end, the decision how to proceed was his. So we honored his choice. 'Nuff said.

@chubbchubb sorry but your whole post was a waste of time...

Avitt chose the course he did and we have no interest in trying to besmirch his name, end of story.

Ken

In other words:

You dont want to spill more background knowledge to the public -

you assume Avitt/Tony wouldnt want that either

&

whatever would be said public about this process of banning

and reasons that led to it - this wouldnt let the person of Avitt/Tony

"look any better".

Did i understand you right?

------------------------------------------------------

However, anytime a senior member chooses to leave or

gets banned... makes me feel sorry somehow.

Anyway, this is Life - we cant change some things and

return all the decisions we make.

Thats it - Regards

George