When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pics of a my 1680

bruce79

The dial and hands look very nice. Insert looks like a later lumi replacement to me and I don't know if you can Poly-Watch the crystal or if you just have to replace it. Looks like the bracelet took most of the beating. With a little bit of cleaning up, it ought to be a very nice watch. Congrats!

Thanks for the comments guys. This one has been well worn. Just a few words that the original owner emailed me after I received the watch. He was an iron worker all his life:

I wore it everyday, it has been in some amazing places . On a nuke sub we had to do a repair job , very tall buildings in Manhattan , Super clean rooms At Intel. The biggest crane in the world-we were changing out 4 540 ton steam generators . Its been on some of the biggest industrial projects in this country....I never thought of it until your email but it really does have an amazing history.

The pearl was replaced along with the crystal 10 years ago or so. I've got a tritium insert in the works and will replace the crystal since this one is not the original crystal. Hasn't been serviced since the late 80s and it's running +7 seconds a day...amazing. For the real vintage experts, answer me this. This watch has been on his wrist since new with the exception of a full service in the late 80s. The clasp code baffles me. On all of the charts I've seen, DE dates to 2000/1 but he said he has never had the clasp replaced. I have no reason to doubt his word as he has no reason to lie. Am I missing something here? The wear on the clasp matches the wear on the bracelet...they fit like puzzle pieces.

I wore it everyday, it has been in some amazing places . On a nuke sub we had to do a repair job , very tall buildings in Manhattan , Super clean rooms At Intel. The biggest crane in the world-we were changing out 4 540 ton steam generators . Its been on some of the biggest industrial projects in this country....I never thought of it until your email but it really does have an amazing history.

Love it. That makes it special... more than just an horological device.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

:g:

DE is around 2001... DE10 is Oct 2001. '02 should be DT and '00 AB(?).

Odd...

EDIT: I just noticed the 'S' stamp... Double :g:

Yeah, very confusing indeed. I have posted the same questions on the gen forums with zero comments. I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light. It's really not a big deal for me as I'm searching for a replacement bracelet anyways but I just want to know for the sake of knowing.

Well, a service clasp with a DE code correlates to the replacement of the insert and crystal, and if you think about it, 10 years of heavy use is still going to do a number on external parts like that; especially something like a clasp, which is like an anchor for wear for even just desk diving. In physical conditions, I can see a new part like that developing age and patina rather quickly :)

Ok, just heard back from the original owner regarding the clasp. Now I'm very confused as to this clasp dating business. Apparently I misunderstood what he had originally told me about the crystal & insert replacement...it was actually earlier than originally thought.

In 2000 I was workings nukes all over the northeast . I am sure that that watch did not go in to any Rolex ad for any reason. I would bet my bike on that ,and that