When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's no wonder some long time members drift away...

I hate to say it, but the world is full of self serving folks who, once they find what they want, just move on. I know folks like this in day to day life at the office, and experience this type of behavior in public no matter where I seem to go.

Manners, it seems, is a lost art these days...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see its not just me that vents once in a while on here.

Frequent dealings with people who are ignorant to common courtesy, wear my nice side out. Problem is I'll wind up taking it out on someone undeserving, so its not worth it.

I try to remember what mom taught me. :whistling:

Although the board is still as well moderated as ever, the stuff The Zigmeister complains about is out of the view of the moderators and those who were not brought up correctly can cause real damage.

Long time members are now just another name as member numbers seem to have gone away......

So much for the value of long time members and supporters.

The drifting will continue as new members will come in with new money to replace those who are losing interest.

That appears to be the marketing plan.

Carl

My favorite is when someone posts 'I'm looking for xx part', to which I reply 'I have one here for you... Gratis', they take me up on it, I go out of my way to not only gift it to the individual, take time out of my day to go to the local PO, send it at my cost and they can't even send a simple 'thanks'... :wounded1:

It's not really the cost of the part, or the shipping expense, or even the lost time out of my day that irks me... But rather the lack of simple manners. Irritating to say the least.

Will it stop me from continuing to do it? Certainly not for friends... But for the guy with 1 post and his only post being a request for parts... Probably not going to happen anymore...

i on one occasion sent a member a bracelet for nothing.....weeks passed and i heard nothing back so i PMed him and asked did he get it ok. he replayed he got it ok but it didn't fit.

no thanks

no return

no nothing

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

i on one occasion sent a member a bracelet for nothing.....weeks passed and i heard nothing back so i PMed him and asked did he get it ok. he replayed he got it ok but it didn't fit.

no thanks

no return

no nothing

thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

LOL... I actually did that with two mobile phones. Granted it wasn't to anyone on this forum but another forum someone locally was looking for a mobile phone that could be transferred to a different carrier. I replied letting the person know I had two phones one directly from that carrier and the other phone one that could be transferred over but would require taking it to a shop to be flashed. I didn't hear anything back from the guy for months. I asked how they worked out and he never even replied back as to how they worked or if they were working out lol.

The Zigmeister,

I can certainly sympathize with you. I see this quite often in my work. We do a lot of uncompensated care here in the poor rural South. I find it very rare today to have a patient say a simple "Thank you" especially the younger ones. Sometimes these are pretty routine cases, but quite often they are life or death situations, and I spend hours with my coronary arteries in a spasm trying to keep the ungrateful soul alive.My biggest reward with some of these folks today is that I don't get sued over their problem!

We live in a totally ungrateful, self centered,avarictic society. People have become so ingrained with the "Want it now, right now" instant gratification lifestyle that we have created that it is positively sickening. It really gets to me more than it does my younger colleagues, as I grew up in a society where manners were very important and common courtesy was drilled into you from and early age. A lot of folks today don't have "please, thank you or how do you feel about this" in their vocabulary.It is inconceivable to me to not end a conversation, letter or email without thanking the person for their time and effort. I cannot imagine the feelings that you get when you receive a PM or Email with a terse one or two sentence message with no salutation, thank you very much or even the person's name. You are more generous than I, my friend. I would delete that message and not grace the rude sender with a reply.

There has been a similar thread over on WUS's MKII Forum. Bill Yao the owner, watchmaker, janitor, email answerer and chief cook and bottle washer turns out some very nice watches, every one hand assembled and checked by him. He, like all perfectionist craftsmen, frequently underestimates the time to delivery of watches. He tells everyone who orders a minimum of 12 weeks, but it's often longer. Lately there have been a few individuals on the forum that are in full rant mode because it's taking longer than 12 weeks to get their watches.I'm sure Bill would cheerfully refund their money just to get them off the forum. Unfortunately, they don't want to lose their place in line, they just want to stir up the pot until they get what they want.

People who are slaves to instant gratification have no business ever getting involved with anything that has the words "Custom or Modded" attached to them. For the most part these people don't appreciate craftsmanship, they just want it NOW!!I need this watch fixed before next weekend. If I send my watch to you by Fed EX overnight can you clean and service the movement, lume the dial/hands and have it back to me by Friday. I need it by Friday, and it must be done by then. I'm very important and I should go to the head of the line, all the other idiots can wait, I'm important, can't you see that!! I never sent you anything before, but I'm important, so all those regular customers, well they can wait, don't you see, because I'm important!

It's sad that a few individuals, like the proverbial "Bad apples that spoil the barrel" can have such a negative influence on everything they touch.

Keep the faith sir, there are plenty of folks on the forum that are great admirers of your work, and I'm sure we can generate enough work to keep you plenty busy.

My favorite is when someone posts 'I'm looking for xx part', to which I reply 'I have one here for you... Gratis', they take me up on it, I go out of my way to not only gift it to the individual, take time out of my day to go to the local PO, send it at my cost and they can't even send a simple 'thanks'... :wounded1:

It's not really the cost of the part, or the shipping expense, or even the lost time out of my day that irks me... But rather the lack of simple manners. Irritating to say the least.

Will it stop me from continuing to do it? Certainly not for friends... But for the guy with 1 post and his only post being a request for parts... Probably not going to happen anymore...

Ubi, I've had exactly the same thing a couple of times and I too will only now help people I know or members in good standing. It's such a shame as I personally have been on the receiving end of much kindness in this regard (which I always acknowlege) and welcome the opportunity to pass it on.

I even had someone who wanted a set of 21J hands, I first asked him to measure to make sure I gave him the right ones, he didn't bother and just asked me to send what I thought was right. I test fitted a set to a DG2813 and posted them off at absolutely no cost to him. Six weeks later I received a PM "Only just got round to this, the seconds hand doesn't fit, can you send me another one". No greeting, no please, no thanks, no sorry for not letting you know it arrived. Needless to say I didn't respond!

@panerai153

I am sitting in the garden, first thing in the morning and I just read your comments to J. Her comment is "Well said sir" and I have to agree. She's grinning ear to ear. :)

and lets face it J is on the front line awnsering all the e-mails as The Zigmeister is sitting in the garden with his feet up playing on the internet :D

I feel your pain R and certainly empathise with you. We are reminded daily that common courtesy seems to be dying a slow and painful death.

I encounter a certain rude and arrogant SOB at work on a regular basis. One day I just took him aside and told him that I wasn't going to tolerate his behavior any longer.

Perhaps it is the responsibility of us all to gently remind folks of they shortcomings and to promote more courtesy and kind conduct.

As Gandhi would and did say, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

The same day you posted this, I got your email to send my watch. I mention this because the trip started out pretty interesting.

So I get to the post office. My wife and I standing there ready to go, as you instructed, like I was about to order from the soup-nazi. I'm next in line. This guy about a foot taller and wider than me gets right in front of me, belligerently. I turn to my wife and say "you see this guy, got right in front of me?" The guy immediately says "YOU GOT A PROBLEM? WHY DONT YOU TELL ME INSTEAD OF YOUR WIFE!" He's full-on psycho already. I say "ok. You just got right in front of me." He gets right in my face. His next step could only be to throw a punch at me. He says "I THOUGHT YOU WERENT READY! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?!" This guys got a little girl with him, about 6-7 years old. My wife begins to step between the guy and I. She says "your a real good role model for your little girl! You probably beat her too i'm sure. Look at daddy, what a good influence!" The guy then tells me wife, "SHUT UP AND MIND YOUR BUSINESS". Great. Now, he's told my wife to shut up. Beautiful. Its go-time, in the post office. Government buildings and deadly weapons are a mix thats certain to put me behind bars for a long time, and like I said he's got 1' x 1' on me, and obviously completely lost his mind. My options are all bad ones now. It's lose lose, even if I were to win. We are late for a family barbeque. Even if I was to somehow drop this guy with my hands, all sorts of problems would come of it. Theres people and cameras watching, everywhere. However, I cannot allow anyone to speak to my wife like this. "Dont talk to my wife like that. Seriously, you just really said that?" We're eye to eye, everything around me is turned white around the edges besides him. My wife is trying to get inbetween us, im trying to move her out of his way. I hear nothing, no backround noise whatsoever. For a moment that was all that was left. Then, the tension seems to diffuse and the surroundings seem to blend back into the situation. I notice my wife is cursing at him, I move her away and say to my wife and the guy "whats about to happen next isnt worth it for anyone, let it go." I told my wife to calm down, and put her behind me. The guy turned around back to his business and it was all over. A very messy situation, avoided. Which trust me, was my best bet.

I get to the counter, and the lady is now tripple wrapping my box with usps flat rate envelopes and stamps and customs forms and tape and the thing is just rediculous looking. The Zigmeister, its overtaped. I know you will understand. My handwriting was also a little sloppy. The adrenaline was still pumping at 100% and I couldn't write.

@panerai153

I am sitting in the garden, first thing in the morning and I just read your comments to J. Her comment is "Well said sir" and I have to agree. She's grinning ear to ear. :)

Thanks a lot, tell J hello for me and tell her I'll swap her a can of cold air for my own personal tar ball, autographed by Tony Hayward!! Really, I can apprecuiate your feelings when you try so hard to do good work and keep folks happy and all you get is a rude response or no response at all.

This whole thread can be summed up by something my Grandmother used to say all the time," No matter how much money you have, you can't buy good manners"

Have a great day

• 2 months later...

I guess on the upside, those who don't reply...are probably members you don't want to deal with anyway.

So it's a good screening tool. :)

Thats a really good way to look at It Zig. I cant remember when I did not reply to someones message(s), I might be out of town or really bussy but I always return messages. I agree that It Is rude to do otherwise. I sometimes get questions from new members about certain watches and dealers. I will give the new member the best Infomation and advice that I can. Many times these new members wont take a minuite to say "thanks" or "kiss my ass" I mean not a word. These people are usally gone within a short period of time, they gather Infomation then they are gone.I for one hope you never leave.I have read everything you have posted, or almost everything :pardon: I have learned so much form you and I know many others have as well. I also know that you are one of the most,If not the most respected members here,as It should be. Maybe just sharing how you feel will help,I hope so. :drinks: Mike