When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Beware Of France: The Sign Applies To Rep Watches, Too...

solicitor

" Excuse me sir, could you step over here, please. Those crown guards appear to be .05mm too thick!...I will need you to come with me...exactly as I thought...Either you've replaced the bezel insert or that watch is a FAKE!...Please remove the caseback, sir...we'll see soon enough if that's a REAL 3135 movement...please remove your clothing and put your hands against that wall while I fone Interpol."

Yeah...they're gonna spot them, especially the PAM when they notice that the swan neck regulator is missing because you didn't pony up the extra cash to get the better one. Most French authorities can spot the weak Yachtmaster font from across the room, so you must leave that one at home. Ok, maybe the IWC GST Chrono, but with THOSE shoes?? Dead giveaway. Your only really safe bet is your Jacob rep, because nobody gives a sh** about that one. They will just smile at you condescendingly and laugh at you behind your back.

" Excuse me sir, could you step over here, please. Those crown guards appear to be .05mm too thick!...I will need you to come with me...exactly as I thought...Either you've replaced the bezel insert or that watch is a FAKE!...Please remove the caseback, sir...we'll see soon enough if that's a REAL 3135 movement...please remove your clothing and put your hands against that wall while I fone Interpol."

Yeah...they're gonna spot them, especially the PAM when they notice that the swan neck regulator is missing because you didn't pony up the extra cash to get the better one. Most French authorities can spot the weak Yachtmaster font from across the room, so you must leave that one at home. Ok, maybe the IWC GST Chrono, but with THOSE shoes?? Dead giveaway. Your only really safe bet is your Jacob rep, because nobody gives a sh** about that one. They will just smile at you condescendingly and laugh at you behind your back.

:lol::lol::lol:

Having said that, I did spot the recessed pin on the PAM base on the wrist of the guy sitting at the table next to us at a restaurant in Pigalle.

Hmmm - was it you perchance Pug??!! :D

So Pugs - if you order one from Asia and it goes through customs - and gets caught - are you f-ed then?

Not if I refuse to accept it, no.

This isn't a new law. I've been going on about this since I arrived here: It's been like this for years.

This is one of the reasons it's hard to find anyone to work on reps here.

Many things made in France have no value except for the brand name. Do you seriously think the French can make things as good as the Chinese? So France naturally has to protect their brand names because that's the only thing that has any value.

Are you American by any chance?

Even if you aren't, see that symbol of liberty that Americans hold so dear....... :g:

Many things made in France have no value except for the brand name. Do you seriously think the French can make things as good as the Chinese? So France naturally has to protect their brand names because that's the only thing that has any value.

Please say this reaction was only to provoke. Otherwise think again.

[censored] FRANCE....AND EVERYTHING FRENCH !!!....They only get humble with a boot on their throat!!!

I've got 2 uncles and a cousin in military graves there who died to save those ungrateful [censored]...At least most of their military rifles remain in unfired condition....

BTW how many divisions are required to defend Paris???....no one knows, since it's never been tried!!! :brow::brow::brow::brow:

[censored] FRANCE....AND EVERYTHING FRENCH !!!....They only get humble with a boot on their throat!!!

I've got 2 uncles and a cousin in military graves there who died to save those ungrateful [censored]...At least most of their military rifles remain in unfired condition....

BTW how many divisions are required to defend Paris???....no one knows, since it's never been tried!!! :brow::brow::brow::brow:

I'm just guessing this young fellow is one of those that orders "freedom fries" at the local McDonalds... I will admit that in my time I have made a few remarks about the French that I regret "Speed Bump of Europe" comes to mind... but after discovering that I actually like red wine the French and their culture has gained many a step on my ladder.

I also have family that gave their lives in the defense of England and France... but I do not share the hatred of the French above me here. Survival is a hard thing to do, the French made some hard decisions in that time period. I cannot question them for at the time, not many other options existed.

Forgive the young man above... he speaks out of anger, not rational thought.

I'm just guessing this young fellow is one of those that orders "freedom fries" at the local McDonalds... I will admit that in my time I have made a few remarks about the French that I regret "Speed Bump of Europe" comes to mind... but after discovering that I actually like red wine the French and their culture has gained many a step on my ladder.

I also have family that gave their lives in the defense of England and France... but I do not share the hatred of the French above me here. Survival is a hard thing to do, the French made some hard decisions in that time period. I cannot question them for at the time, not many other options existed.

Forgive the young man above... he speaks out of anger, not rational thought.

Very well put OiRogers, you are a true gentleman. My grandfather was in France in WWI (yes, I) and came back with a questionable attitude toward them. That was something that I had to get past. Having studied the language and culture/literature, etc. I understand a bit of why the French outlook annoys many American sensabilities, but with some maturity and education we can learn to appreciate the differences.

A good start is "Democracy in America" by Alexis DeTocqueville. Some of these guys would be well advised to chew on that for awhile, just to have a little background before they spout off and embarrass themselves.

Welcome to my shitlist.

Look, I can understand the emotion in light of losing loved ones and friends, but obectively, i think sometimes americans (and i am one) lose a bit of perspective on the topic of the French and their role as our ally We are apt to keep reminding the French about WW2 but we sometimes forget about the role the French played during our own revolution. Post war relations with the US have been strained at times, but they certainly had a at least as much of a vested interest in the suprerpower struggle of the coldwar era.. clearly continental europe represented the great divide ... as for the freedom fry thing, let's face it... they were right about Iraq.. unless something drastic changes soon, we are destined to spend the next 40 years policing the place at a cost of multiple trillions of dollars. At legnth tthe US and France have been stratgic (if not unstrained) geopolitical allies for 250 years and will likely remain as such.