When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 After a little ageing

PLOPROFCOMEX

I had the same idea, unfortunately the hour hand got mangled when I took it off, and is off with a professional to try and get reinstalled. I tried baking the hands, and while the hour and minute hands darkened only slightly, the gmt hands darkened to nearly a perfect match to the dial.

I must be hard on my watches, this looks like a year or two worth of aging, not 30!

My Dad was always really careful with this - Ever since he bought it in 1974 he would try and remember to take it off if he was doing something dirty like working on the car (or nailing his mistress) When he gave it to me on my 21st Birthday I promised I would look after it aswell

Well, that is my story and I am going to stick to it :king:

• 3 weeks later...

First..simply a beautiful watch. The Explorer II is really growing on me with that orange hand.

Second, a question...I've noticed that you can get the dial in either white or patina...if you were to go with the patina dial, wouldn't the lume on the hands also match the patina of the markers? I realize that the hands themselves are painted white, but I would think that the lume would have all patinad at the same time.

Thanks, and once more a GORGEOUS watch!!!

T

First..simply a beautiful watch. The Explorer II is really growing on me with that orange hand.

Second, a question...I've noticed that you can get the dial in either white or patina...if you were to go with the patina dial, wouldn't the lume on the hands also match the patina of the markers? I realize that the hands themselves are painted white, but I would think that the lume would have all patinad at the same time.

Thanks, and once more a GORGEOUS watch!!!

T

Absolutely correct - The Patina would also be visible on the hands - I currently have that on the go and am applying some glow-inc v10 lume mixed with some make-up powder to apply to the lume wells. I will post photos once the desired look is achieved.

I shall do "The ageing" of the hands by mixing a quantity of GlowInc V10 Green Lume with a quantity of Female bronzing powder type make up to dirty it up a bit but leave me with a decent glow (maybe not typical after 30+ years but I like to tell the time at night)

Me too, there are always inaccuracy and if some rolex collector was in a room dark enough for him to comment on my lume then it will be dark enough to smack him and nick his watch

My Dad was always really careful with this - Ever since he bought it in 1974 he would try and remember to take it off if he was doing something dirty like working on the car (or nailing his mistress) When he gave it to me on my 21st Birthday I promised I would look after it aswell

Well, that is my story and I am going to stick to it :king:

May work that one! Nicely done

Absolutely correct - The Patina would also be visible on the hands - I currently have that on the go and am applying some glow-inc v10 lume mixed with some make-up powder to apply to the lume wells. I will post photos once the desired look is achieved.

The hands may have been change at a service were the dial may not have been miss-matched hands do happen

Excellent tips guys - I especially like the idea of keeping it in a pocket with a lot of coins. The simplest ideas are often the best.

The tumble dryer is not an option as I do not have one - line dried laundry is the only way for clothes but will not help when ageing a watch - If I buy a drier just for watch ageing then I will be committed to the local mental health treatment facility and put into a padded cell in a BACK-TO-FRONT JACKET !

I just got the exact watch a few days ago, it only took 3 days from china to the USA which is the fastest so far.. I may do the same thing to mine if i dont sell it? I may have to do a catch and release due to another watch i have to have but if i keep it i am definately doing those mods, it really makes the watch humm........Very nice!! wan