When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rebuilding Grandfathers Watch

redwatch

Hi Folks,

I am restoring/rebuilding my Grandfathers Bulova watch that was given to me after he passed away. It was a yellow gold plated watch, but since I really don't like gold anything I haven't worn it since it was given to me. One day I had a thought. Why not de-case the movement, pop out the crystal and have the case stripped, polished and Rhodium plated? That way it is still his watch, but it will be something that I would happily wear. It also had a horrible stretchy gold band on it. My plan, once it comes back from the plater, is to put it on a nice black leather strap. Maybe even one with a deployant buckle on it.

So here's my question for the community. Can you guys/gals recommend a really nice, 18mm, black and very soft & supple leather strap for me? Something very simple & dressy.

Here's a pick of the original watch before I dismantled it.

Bulova.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's already in the shop being plated. It's really cool and not too expensive! I had my fiancee's ring rhodium plated and rebuilt from my grandmothers engagement ring. They did a great job. They strip it down, polish it up, nickel plate it for a harder base and then rhodium plate over the nickel. It turned out beautifully!

The watch case was finished as of Friday night, but upon close inspection, it looked as though there was a plating error as a small bit around the bezel looked like it was missing some rhodium. They were very sorry for the error and took it straight back to be re-plated again at no cost. I will post some pics once I get it back.

It's already in the shop being plated. It's really cool and not too expensive! I had my fiancee's ring rhodium plated and rebuilt from my grandmothers engagement ring. They did a great job. They strip it down, polish it up, nickel plate it for a harder base and then rhodium plate over the nickel. It turned out beautifully!

The watch case was finished as of Friday night, but upon close inspection, it looked as though there was a plating error as a small bit around the bezel looked like it was missing some rhodium. They were very sorry for the error and took it straight back to be re-plated again at no cost. I will post some pics once I get it back.

what's the cost, if you don't mind me asking, for something like that? I have a very similar issue with my departed fathers old gold-tone Seiko. New crystal and stripped/plated would = a sharp piece though!

The cost is dependent on the amount of case work required before they plate it. My watch case is costing me $150.00 for the following:

• Strip the existing gold plating
  • Polish any nicks and scratches out of the case
  • Plate the case in nickel for a harder base
  • Plate the case in Rhodium
  • Plate the three hands in Rhodium (they don't need the nickel base plate because they are contained in the watch and will not be subjected to scratches from possibly banging the watch)

Of course, if you have to have the watch dismantled and re-assembled then there will be more costs involved. I am doing the work myself.

Also, they said they couldn't do the crown because it would take too much work to strip the original gold plating and clean it up. The size of the crown is too small and the all the little teeth make it more difficult to work on. They said it would be better to source a new replacement crown (which I did).

Hope that helps! :D

That will be cool - what are you going to do about the hands - they look as though they are gold-plated as well. You can check out this site - I bought a couple of items from him - probably has something that'll work for you...

Thanks DB. They are plating the hands as well. I got a replacement set so they can plate that instead (that way I don't have to worry about damaging the existing hands when I remove them)

The Di-Modell straps look nice, but they have a very limited selection of 18mm ones unfortunately. I really like the Hand-Stitched ones but they are 20mm only. Also like the Bali with matching stitching but again, they only have the 18mm in Dark Brown.

That will look very nice S-

Thanks S!

That sounds like a fantastic project, really looking forwards to some photos :good:

Thanks TJ. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result! I know my grandmother will be very impressed when she sees it completed and that I am finally wearing it. I've had this watch in my possession since 1998 and I have never once worn it. It will be nice to finally be able to wear it on a more regular basis. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I would suggest you get in touch with HKTan, he used to hang out on paneristi.com. He can build you a strap from anything your heart desires. Personally, I would go for a Black gator (you can get the small scales which won't look out of place on a smaller dress watch. i have one on a gen. IWC Calatrava and it really makes for a very elegant and understated dress watch.

Great project! I love these sentimental projects... So much meaning and history behind the watch, yet you are adding your own personal touch. Very nice!

I've purchased some straps from TWB- Great value for the money in my opinion. They make some fantastic straps, and are relatively inexpensive for the quality received. Good stuff...

:)

• 2 weeks later...

First pass with the re-plate didn't pass my inspection, I hate to say. There was a large blemish on the bezel. I am quite surprised they missed it. Didn't take a loupe to see it at all. However, they were nice enough to take it back for a second attempt - free of charge :D Wasn't that nice? :whistling:

can't wait to see the casework. I think you have some good ideas for straps, in the meantime you may want to look at a ZRC, if you need something economical to use while waiting for a custom commissioned strap to be finished. They had a huge selection of these at a watch stand in my local mall, so you may want to check yours. Some were inexpensive, some got pricey! Lots of 18mm varietal.

http://www.zrcbracelet.com/uk/index.php

I have a similar project on my hands. My grandfathers vintage Seamaster. They loved their stretchy metal bands didn't they? I retired that in favor of, you guessed it- a ZRC strap. I've done some case work, the movement works fine, but I would of course like it to be serviced. Its been on the to-do list for a while like your project. Here it is. The strap is very nice for the cost.

IMG_3447.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

Since this is turning into a show and tell thread, let me add my vintage. I think the "beads of rice" bracelet is the best option. Somewhat similar to the Rolex Jubilee. Looking forward to seeing your finished project Redwatch.

vintage1.jpg

vintage2.jpg

Pictures by Rex The Watchman when it was serviced.