When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish Rep is a gonner :(

Craig S

Hi Guys,

Was speaking to a few collectors over the last few months about a remake of the Steelfish. At the time (about 4 month ago or so) I was told that a factory was in the process of making a new improved version.

Looking for an update, I e-mailed Joshua a few days ago and he tells me that the Steelfish is discontinuted? Surely not??

If it is discontinued I wonder if mine will shoot up in value lol. I love my steelfish probably the watch that gets the most wear time.

I don't know why it would be discontinued everyone loved the SOSF. And really the only thing I would have liked to see changed was the ability to remove the crystal or change the bezel. If it had those things I don't know why anyone would by a genuine LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO they don't " tool up " for anything. Do you think they painstakingly cast an intricate guilloche dial and machine a case to perfection etc. to sell a watch for a measly $129 ( which is what the original Asian Fish, same cosmetically as the Swiss except for AR [ yes the crystal is sapphire ] went for ) for an extremely limited clientel... us ?

Grow up. These Super Reps are imperfect parts smuggled out at midnight and assembled in homes. Nothing else makes sense. The spare Fish parts have all been used up. Either you got one or you didn't and everyone had plenty of time, years, to get one.

Or else they perversely broke down the presses etc. for probably the best and most popular rep ever because...?

IMHO they don't " tool up " for anything. Do you think they painstakingly cast an intricate guilloche dial and machine a case to perfection etc. to sell a watch for a measly $129 ( which is what the original Asian Fish, same cosmetically as the Swiss except for AR [ yes the crystal is sapphire ] went for ) for an extremely limited clientel... us ?

Grow up. These Super Reps are imperfect parts smuggled out at midnight and assembled in homes. Nothing else makes sense. The spare Fish parts have all been used up. Either you got one or you didn't and everyone had plenty of time, years, to get one.

Or else they perversely broke down the presses etc. for probably the best and most popular rep ever because...?

BOGGLE :o

hahaha. Smuggling parts out at night and assembling our super reps in homes? If this is INDEED true... the rep factories are obviously more well informed on the subject than us. Traditionally.. in any business, if a product gets pulled from production it's directly related to its SALES.. If everyone and their mother already has the best rep ever produced (the sosf in question) then I'm sure that factories have seen a decline in sales over the years... By spare fish parts.. you're referring to Gen parts?

You really think there are Thousands of imperfect parts are smuggled out at midnight? Thousands of parts ALL with the same imperfections for the most part? Perfection? There is no "Perfection"! If you think a case is machined to perfection you have not compared it to a gen. The lugs for example are wrong in shape. This does not come from a poor QC on a rejected part.

Do you know what tooling costs are in China? I do! About 50%-75% less then the costs of tooling in the States. Knowing tooling like I know, and machining like I know as well as manufacturing

Thanks Mike. I wasn't going to bother typing all that out.

When he learns a little more about reps, he'll know that altho "super reps" look very very good on the surface, many times the actual fabrication methods are miles apart from the Gen. This precludes the entire "stolen gen parts" theory.

Ah I haven't logged on in a while but I see that not much has changed...

If it's true about the 'Fish that's a bummer... Awesome rep... I had one of the first blue 'Fish (ha) released and it was fantastic.

I detest gen Breitlings but that was the only watch from Breitling that I ever felt impressed enough to have plunked down for a 95% condition first gen. genuine SFSO...

Thanks Mike. I wasn't going to bother typing all that out.

When he learns a little more about reps, he'll know that altho "super reps" look very very good on the surface, many times the actual fabrication methods are miles apart from the Gen. This precludes the entire "stolen gen parts" theory.

I don't know about you, but if I was going to be stealing gen parts, I would think it would be a whole lot more profitable to be selling them outright then to some rep watch maker. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Could you just see the "mule" walking in and out of Brietling with a stack of dials up his a**! :rofl:

I don't know about you, but if I was going to be stealing gen parts, I would think it would be a whole lot more profitable to be selling them outright then to some rep watch maker. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Could you just see the "mule" walking in and out of Brietling with a stack of dials up his a**! :rofl:

:thumbs:

hahaha

I tried on the gen years ago, and it just wasn't my cup of tea, as I felt the dial was a bit small compared to the outer diameter of the case, at least this means I won't have to worry about if I should buy one or not :lol:

[Edit to add]

Although I do acknowledge the place of the watch in the rep hall of fame :victory:

Unusual that they should stop making it, as it such a popular watch still.

Not surprising at all. The SFSO was a very popular watch, but its run its course. 99% of the people that wanted one bought one, and I would guess that sales for it are now quite average if not slow. I assume they have run out of parts and inventory, so is it worth the cost to produce another lot? Probably not. There are several Breitling models that have not been repped that would likely sell far better.

Not surprising at all. The SFSO was a very popular watch, but its run its course. 99% of the people that wanted one bought one, and I would guess that sales for it are now quite average if not slow. I assume they have run out of parts and inventory, so is it worth the cost to produce another lot? Probably not. There are several Breitling models that have not been repped that would likely sell far better.

+1 andreww